Medium format 4K!?

Julian

According to PhotoRumors:

The new Pentax 645z medium format camera will shoot 4k video, announcement on April 14th

In addition to full HD (1920x1080 @ 60i and 30p in H.264), the upcoming Pentax 645z medium format camera will also have 4k video recording capabilities (3840 x 2160).

Pentax-645D-2014.jpg

If true, wow!

It has the same Sony 44x33mm sensor as the Hasselblad H5D-50c, up to iso 6400.

Wonder what bitrate/format it will shoot...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I don't know why... but I imagine it will be a ridiculous video camera, having like only 30p, no audio, crazy aliasing and moire, these kind of things

I guess IMAX is medium format because 70mm film is just something like Fullframe.

Anyway, this pentax might be great but it's just 44mm, so it's not really medium format. For the price it's going to cost there will be probably some professional version of the A7s that will perform a lot better with just 1.2 crop difference to the pentax.

Also the CMOS don't give such great colors compared to the CCD backs (as long as you stay below iso 400), at least that's what they are saying on MF forums. The scaling from 50MP to 4K is also a mystery to me.

I just checked:

Image area of 65 mm film is 48.5 mm × 22.1 mm (1.91 in × 0.87 in) (for Todd-AO), in IMAX the image is 69.6 mm × 48.5 mm (2.74 in × 1.91 in) tall.

So it will be something similar to 65mm film.