Sony A7S - does it have Super 35mm 4K mode too?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I went to NAB to see the A7s, and i went away with the impression that apsc crop is 1080... At least thats what i was told there, still the possibility to use cine lenses is there in the crop mode, for the 4k in fullframe mode you would use photo lenses, either adapted or sony's e mounts. The 70 200 e was attached to the little low light monster and was looking pretty good, i bumped the iso to 25600 and there was no noise in the image (not only in the flip screen, but in the monitor they had through hdmi in 4k. Seriously, NO NOISE.

• 2 weeks later...

Way to expensive 

"Price is on par with the 5dmk3" with your logic, we would have to pay 10000 dollars for a GH4, or a black magic. Thanks to companies who actually bring the price down and make prof products available for consumer. 

Canon's logic (see 1DC and so on price) ...... 

3200 is way too much. 
1999 is the right price for this camera if they want it to compete against GH4. 

There is preorder in Australia for 3500 AUD = 2350 EUR

In the same store they have A7 for the same price as in Europe and A7K 15% cheaper than in Europe.

So I guess it will be ~2500 EUR in EU.

Little too expensive, but I would consider it instead of GH4 If available in near future. One of the reasons for A7S is its (low-light) stills capabilities.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I just really hope the rolling shutter is not ridiculous. I wouldn't mind paying +3K for it, (perfect size and weight, evf and screen with peaking/zebras, S LOG, XLRs, ridiculous sensitivity, efficient codec (XAVC) with an excellent sharp 1080p image, 4K 4:2:2 out, versatile mount, 120fps, etc) I mean, this looks like a better camera than a c300 excpet for NDs!

So I would gladly pay 3K for this kind of camera. If it has a jello-vision image, I wouldn't pay 1699 for it.

Little too expensive, but I would consider it instead of GH4 If available in near future. One of the reasons for A7S is its (low-light) stills capabilities.

I agree with you, I'm thinking of buying A7s just for astrophotography - nightsky timelapses, and GH4 for overall video performance.

pozdro

So I would gladly pay 3K for this kind of camera. If it has a jello-vision image, I wouldn't pay 1699 for it.

I agree, though I believe the sweet spot for this camera -pricewise- would be 1,999$. A litlle more expensive than the GH4 and right in between the A7 and the A7R. Is it a coincidence that this camera was displayed at NAB in the A7 line stand between the A7 and A7R?

12 Megapixels seems a little too few for most full frame pro still photographers who usually have fast lenses at hand and greater flexibility in post with RAW (therefore, not so concerned with low light sensitivity). IMHO this camera is appealing to a small segment of still photograpers and to a vast majority of video shooters, so its main competitors might be the GH4 and BMPC, not the 5DMKIII or even the A7R.