More information on 10bit 4K 4:2:2 via micro HDMI on the GH4 without external box

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Just made a quick update to the article. Odyssey 7Q does not actually accept the 4K signal from the GH4.

It has no 4K capable HDMI input.

You need to use the HD-SDIs on the YAGH with the Odyssey 7Q.

So the hunt is on at NAB for a 4K HDMI recorder...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Rumor has it  Atomos will announce such a recorder at NAB, but when that comes to market, who knows.  Andrew, love your passion.   To me, you are relentless in your pursuit of providing information on obtaining the best device, image, and price to the indie demographic. [web link removed]

Thanks for your hard work.

It looks to me like there's some nice future proofing in this camera. Plus the current external recorders will, I presume, cope fine with the 1080p 10bit 4:2:2 output from the HDMI if you want to play with green screens before the 4k recorders come out.

It's pretty nice that the Panasonic reps engage with the public in the online forums. Thanks to Matt Frazer there.

p.s. did folks here catch up with that link to the sony ax100 video showing some rather impressive rolling shutter

My only question is when will the GH4 get to NZ and if it's a world camera then why not just pre-order from the US?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I wouldn't dismiss a CMOS-based camera just because of rolling shutter seen during a 180 fast pan whilst a train is passing by in the background! I think it could be another good tool for bringing 4K to the masses, just like the gh4 and BM. We'll see how it performs soon though! 

Yes, and consider CMOS doesn't predestine a fixed amount of skew (which is also present in film).  Both the RED and Alexa are rolling shutter cameras but their chips have very close to film's level of skew in situations like this, though you can't shoot strobe lights with either any easier than you can a 5D.  Watch any police procedural shot on them and you see partial frames containing the relatively slow flashing and panning of roof rack safety/warning lights.

Even on a given camera, heat seems to be a major contributor to "jello" and skew, at least this was true on the 7D.  I'm not a Sony fan, so seeing one of their cameras fall on its face nearly fills me with joy, but I wouldn't base my opinion of any camera on just one video, though, seriously, it's a consumer handycam.  How good should it or could it realistically be?  It's designed for wealthy suburbanites shooting birthday parties and school plays.

• Administrators

I wouldn't dismiss a CMOS-based camera just because of rolling shutter seen during a 180 fast pan whilst a train is passing by in the background! I think it could be another good tool for bringing 4K to the masses, just like the gh4 and BM. We'll see how it performs soon though! 

Slow pan!

That was a pretty slow pan... :S

Not yet. The GH4 is still a clunky DSLR. If Panasonic decide to combine the two units together in a 'video' form factor camera, (perhaps at a price point slightly less then the two separate units) then you'll then have a real contender.

I think the GH4 is a contender in its current form. I do agree though that a Morph of the GH4 and the YAGH into one unit would be great however I would want Sony or Canon to carry out the morphing duties. I hate Panasonics video cameras. If it doesn't have a built in ND wheel though, it's not worth doing.

The only other issue with the Panasonic brick is the battery situation, which makes the portability of that unit, cumbersome.

I imagine that we will see a portable battery pack soon for the YAGH.

Perhaps one that bolts on the bottom of the unit and has a TriPod thread on the bottom.

Of course you could just skip the YAGH and use an Odyssey 7Q recorder ($2295).

It can record 4k directly from the HDMI port and comes with 4k ProRes codec.

I would like to see Nikon step up to the plate with a continuous 4k Video (priority) camera.

Then I could use AutoFocus with all my Nikkors.

You need to think about the situation you are in when using the YAGH. Your using the SDI outs and tethered to an external recorder/monitor. You're better off using a small rail system with shoulder pad if doing handheld so adding a battery to power both camera and external recorder is probably the best way of powering the whole rig.

If you are buying the YAGH just for the XLR inputs, there are better, more portable and powered options out there.