getting the best footage on Vimeo

jagnje

ok, I think I`m a bit over my head in this.

I thought I knew more about video and now more that I read less I understand.

I have no prores in my davinci(because I use windows?), If I export graded footage in DNxHD then It looks diferent and premiere won`t open it(missing codec), in premiere I can`t export in DNxHD...I still don`t really get how x.264 works, I think that the codec is on my computer now, I just don`t seem to know how to use it, or understand completly what it actually is and does. I think I have some serious studying to do on my own and then ask questions if theres still something I don`t understand.

Thank you very much for all the help!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The footage shouldn't look different in DNxHD but this is likely from a setting mismatch somewhere, which is easy to do.  It's a terrible design.  DNxHD just happens to be the best option if you're on a Windows platform from a writing standpoint for platform independence.  Unfortunately, Avid are just terrible software designers and their codecs have always revealed this.

Any codec that is actually installed should be visible and accessible to any program that gives you access to multiple codecs.  Some applications won't always expose every option but they will be there.

Anyway, you should maybe stick to just exporting from Premiere with as large a file as is doable with your 5G/week limit.  You are now battling unfamiliarity on multiple fronts with different solutions for each.

OK, I got DNxHD to work...just had to download it from avid :D

Works great, looks great. This 2min and a bit clips renders out to be 3GB, which is managable...I can just use ma laptop tu run 24h/day to upload it.

But for future clips that will exceed 5GB I guess I will have to figure out the mpeg streamclip and the best way to compress it.

Thank you for all the help, I learned alot!!

Edit: yes, most of the time I can stop far before a cyclist can and in most cases faster than an awarage car at the same speed...don`t worry I`m 100% in control :)

And yes, I`m looking to upgrade to panasonic g6, GH3 is out of the price range ATM. But for the time being I have to get the most of what I have.

https://vimeo.com/89776956

I used your preset for this...davinci resolve for basic grade and sharpen->DNxHD->premiere-> your preset.

I think it looks pretty good, very good actually! thank you very much! Maybe slightly less detail than the original video, but also half the size than that one after handbrake.

password:preset

I'm going to give your preset a shot, JCS.  I made the mistake in this thread of assuming things work the same on Mac and PC now.  Not the first time I'm sure.  I usually do my editing, grading and encoding on my Mac but for reasons of space and logistics I'm finishing up something I had to do on my PC laptop.

I've done encoding of files rendered as DNxHD to h264 before, I think, and don't recall any issues but I likely shipped those files to my Mac.  PC MPEG Streamclip is introducing a gamma shift which persists into the h264 version.  I've only ever investigated the fixes for this for Mac and encoding Prores has been fairly trouble free on that side.  Ugh.

Sean- yeah, color/gamma can be a challenge: I used PC Resolve to blur out a person using the cool tracking tools, from an mov created on OSX, which looked fine in Premiere (PC). In Resolve I exported the clip to DNxND (mov container, only option) and got a gamma/brightness shift (guessing some problem with safe vs. full levels (10-bit file)). I tried Cineform in AVI- had the opposite problem- went too dark. DPX- still an issue. I figure it was how Resolve was reading the OSX created mov. It looked OK in the editing window- seems like the issue was only on export. I ended up manually fixing in Premiere using an RGB curve (matching to the original mov). Moving the Resolve project to OSX might be a fix, or only using Resolve on PC (and doing the DNG conversion in Resolve to DNxHD and skipping ProRes).

re: preset: while x264 is technically the best, at these bitrates, PPro's GPU accelerated export works great, and is very fast.

re: preset: while x264 is technically the best, at these bitrates, PPro's GPU accelerated export works great, and is very fast.

I think this is another reason why I've done all my encoding previous to this on my Mac, because of x264.  I've run the install on my Windows laptop but it doesn't just show up in apps like MPEG Streamclip or Premiere the same way it just works with OSX and x264Encoder and any application that can write Quicktime.

If we could finally ditch pointless "broadcast" specs with analog baggage that would be a step in the right direction for one-world-one-gamma for anything not being projected in a theater.  Someday maybe.  Hopefully in my lifetime I'll get to see it.

update: worked like a charm, many thanks.  This will likely be my go-to for any future encoding on the Windows side.  That weird deja vu feeling of "not again!" when I saw all my shadow detail crushed out yesterday is finally gone :)

ok, last test...DNxHD uploaded directly to vimeo, just a short most afected part of it.

https://vimeo.com/90159359

password: zrez

this 50sec file was about 1GB. I see no diference between this and then DNxHD that was precompresed with handbrake. For this kind of fast moving footage a bit of grain seems to work best, other than that the H.264 shared here by JCS which works great as well. I have yet to try bluring of the edges a bit, but at least now I see that this kind of shots will get hevily compressed no matter what.

How much diference would I higher bitrate camera make I don`t know.

cheers