Move out of full frame system?

yiomo

Thanks for the different perspectives.  It is a good idea not to hurry before NAB, but then again there will always be a next exhibition show and if a manufacturer has something so good why not to market it a bit earlier? (well ok, that's for another discussion).  

Need and want are two very difficult beasts I know, but if we start getting too philosophical about it, which is no a bad thing per se, we'd perhaps arrive to the conclusion that we don't really need anything more than a mini dv camcorder..  ( I am speaking about independent production).

To shed some light, I'd like to add that I am working on a new documentary project and while I have finished development and some preproduction, I don't have someone over me to press me to start. I could start shooting in a week or in 5 weeks. Of course, the sooner, the better. This whole "which system to jump into" discussion is only feeding my procrastination demons.  

The ML raw thing, would be probably be a nice thing to play with on my free time (which I now mostly use in order to decide about my new system), but it looks to troublesome for a new production, in terms of logistics, workflow, possible bugs, etc.

The truth is, that other than a good field monitor I don't really need something additional to begin this production. Perhaps I am being to consumeristic, drawn into the flow of technology. But, I am trying to be a realist besides being an idealist. The fact is, and I believe most of you agree on that, that a 5d mkii, as great as it might be for stills, it is a dying dinosaur. The whole debate started in my mind as to not loose the resale dynamic that it now has. I have a dvx100a which I did not sell when it was the proper time and now no one would buy it. I don't want this to happen with my last investment. Perhaps for some of you this is a trivial thing but for me spending 3-4 thousand for a new system is something worth considering very seriously.

So besides the ML thing, which otherwise looks great, and staying with my current camera, the question is where to in terms of video. I must admit that I did bite into the "travel light" bullet but it might have been a wrong thing to do and is something I am reconsidering. However many of you have said that the best way is to go double system. And this is what I am considering now.

I might just begin this doc with my 5d, which I can keep just for stills until it dies. (i don't need or want more photographic power) and then look into the best image quality- as I understand it- that I can get from a video only or hybrid camera.

Thanks again for your input and time.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs