4k playback issues and other basic questions

tkhasawinah

Hi everyone. I'm mainly into DSLR photography and am very pleased with the photos from my Nikon D800E. However, as everyone here is already aware, DSLRs suck for video and I want to get better video output. I am hoping the panasonic GH4 will be the solution I'm looking for. I just want to be able to take decent videos of my kids and family functions. I'm not a pro and just want a simple work flow.  I pre-ordered the GH4 and plan to also buy the panasonic 12-35mm 2.8 lens and maybe the new olympus 25mm 1.8 for low light situations. I want to record everything in 4k for future-proofing as well as for the obvious excellent output.

1.  Which SD cards are recommended? There are cards being marketed from panasonic, Sandisk and others with different specs and prices. I just want the product that would work for 4k recording at the most reasonable price.

2. Can these 4k video files be edited on a windows machine and if so, what basic video editing software to use. 

3.  How do I playback these 4k video files on a 1080p TV until all my TVs get upgraded to 4k displays?

4. What medium would you store these 4k video files on for easy playback on TVs?

Sorry for all these basic questions and thanks for your help.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

...basic questions and thanks for your help.

As I'm doing, get ready to invest in a lot of hard drive storage.  If you want to archive all your raw footage for the "future" you'll need it.

Of course, you could cut footage with an editor like Premiere or FCP and then just save the bits that make it into your edits.  

I'm not going to get into the hardships that are involved with re-encoding 4k footage for editing purposes.  That's a whole enchilada unto itself.  It'll be a bit complicated at first to discern the best workflow.  Probably not extremely difficult either, but it'll require some jumping through of hoops.  Not exactly the prevue of novices, but if you're willing to hop in, go for it!

Personally, I'm foreseeing archiving my raw media under a very regimented and strict labeling system and then editing footage using low-res (1080p) proxy files.  When the editing is done I'll rebuild/reconnect the footage at the the actual 4K resolution.  Media management will be key.

But I'm with you...still curious as to the most efficient way to edit 4K without buying too much hardware.

For editing home movies, I would get something like Cyberlink PowerDirector.  It supports 4K, and you can't beat the price (under $100) for what it does.

For playing back 4K, I would connect your PC with a good NVidia card installed to your TV's HDMI port.  The computer will automatically scale it down to 1080p.

Michael