60d raw and 2x anamorphic question

enny

Hi guys i need some sereous help. I benn experimenting with my 60d and raw shooting i menage to get 20 sec JPG  and 20 sec of 1152x648  raw i can get more if go down in resolution  Since i am shooting on my bausch and lomb anamorphic 2x what is the best resolution here for me when it comes to squeezing my anamorphic and not loosing resolution i mean is 2x less then 648 res or should i go for maximum resolution that i can get

Thanks guys

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You are very limited with the 60D+ML RAW - especially if trying to use one of the crop modes for shooting anamorphic.

With my x1.5 anamorphic i shot in 5:3 mode, with a resolution of 1280x768 & i got about 13secs of recording time. It upscaled very nicely to 2.39:1 (1920x803) & of course so much better than H264.

With a x2 anamorphic you could try going down another resolution step to 3:2 (1152x768), which will give about 18secs & then putting it into a timeline scaled to 2.66:1 (1920x722) - once unsqueezed (horizontal) you'll be slightly downscaling your footage & will only loose a tiny bit of the sides.

That's probably your best option.

The only other alternative is to shoot H264 (with increased bit rate of x2.5-3) for all close ups & maybe medium shots. Then for all the wide shots, that need the detail, use RAW.

Thanks for reply Bioskop i know i am limited with 60d ML just  want to play with raw before buying 4k camera this summer i got 11sec on 1152x768 raw. Do you use raw in 60d setting or jpeg and using higher bitrate  with h264 what is the difference? And how would you make your raw file usable for editing do you converte them first?

Thanks

In the Canon menu, change from S2 (RAW) to JPEG & you should get longer record times - not much but every second counts.

The higher bit rate hack for H264 basically helps reduce banding, but the higher you go you might need to turn off the sound for it to work.

I ended up just doing minor things, then exporting as TIFF files & creating a ProRes HQ .mov file in QT7 - i don't have photoshop, so used RRP instead.

Didn't like the workflow or the hit to my HDs - but does produce really nice images.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

so you conveted you raw file to dng and then converted dng to tiff and tiff to pro res  hq am i righ here? what did ytou use to convert raw to dng?

Thanks

You've given me bad flash backs & seeing the workflow written down doesn't make it look any easier.

I used RAWMagic, but i think there is something new/better/quicker on the ML forum now.