Calling all GM1 Owners

zenpmd

So this pocket rocket arrives this week for me. What do you guys use to overcome its inherent weaknesses? In particular:

1. What do you use to record audio?

2. Which lens adapters do you use (for me I need some Nikon options).

Anything else I should be thinking of?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I use a simple "fotasy" adapter for Nikon.  No problem.  I record audio externally with either a Zoom H1 or H4n, depending on needs.  It all works.

Deep ND for shooting outside midday is needed:  Two 0.9's ND's, f2.8, ISO200, 50shutter=decent exposure.

In fact, heading out the door right now with this setup to do some sunshine shooting on a documentary project...

handling is not easy: a shoulder rig/tripod/monopod will be necessary for non IS lenses

almost all the lenses i tested are too big for this camera so in theory you would need an adaptor to mount the camera on a tripod. I solved with a leather case which adds some height in the foot of the camera and makes tripod mounting possible.

@zenpmd I just use mine for catching street life here, so I don't use a rig or anything. But because it is so difficult to handhold, especially with long lenses, I thought I'd try attaching it to a shoulder rig one day. Of course, the lens was too big, so I attached the rig to the leather case (the case gives it some room). Bad idea - the camera would swivel around, and it took me hours to figure out how to remove the case from the rig... Also, the GM1 definitely does seem to have more contrast than the GH3; I always leave contrast set at -5. There is only one physical function button on the camera: I use mine to set the ISO. I don't shoot stills, but if you try shooting flash with anything larger than the kit lens, it will cast a shadow from the lens barrel if you don't tilt the flash. If you plan to shoot extensively, it wouldn't hurt to pick up a few extra batteries. They don't last very long. And I second fuzznormal's ND suggestion, though I only use one filter at a time...

Very beautiful, especially the reddish one at the bottom of the page. And I love the idea of the hinged bottom for changing battery and SD card! But the best part is the tripod thread, which actually is functional. The Panasonic case I have is virtually unusable with a tripod (but it still looks nice and gives something more to grip). And it was free, so I'm not complaining...^^

I've been shooting at  -5 contrast, -3 sharpening and -2 saturation. I haven't touched NR yet since I don't have decided whether or not to purchase something like neat video. I think the image coming out of the camera is much more contrasty than the GH3. As for sharpening, I think you should just do some tests and see if edge enhancement is bothering you. The camera suffers from moire, but from my experience with the GH3, lessening sharpness seems to have little effect, so I haven't experimented with that. Since getting a set of ND filters and using a shoulder rig, I'm finding I'm using the GM1 less and less. An articulated screen would at least mitigate some of the problems with shooting in bright light. Also, the 35-100mm zoom is fast becoming my lens of choice and it's nearly impossible to hold steady without some sort of rig, which would defeat the whole purpose of the GM1. I have found that using a rig completely eliminates the micro jitters associated with the 35-100mm lens when used with the GH3.

So what lenses are people using on the Gm1?

I've used all my various lenses on it, including a Canon redband 24-70, just to be ridiculous.  And my next short film will be shot with the only the GM1 and an Industar 28mm.  It's a deliberately odd choice for aesthetic and technical reasons.  

However, for what I'm mainly using the cam for, a documentary that takes place in nightclubs and bars, the most common lens on there is a 12mm Olympus.

Fujinon makes some cool/cheap industrial glass that apparently works quite well on M43.  I like the flaws of vintage lenses too.  Old primes and weird Russian glass always finds itself mounted on the cam. 

Anything goes, really.