2 Issues with BMCC and Da Vinci Resolve

Smea Éireann

Hey guys,

I'm really keen to read a real description and advice which helps about  these two things.

1) Did anyone noticed ... if you shooting with BMCC in low light condition that gives a strips rolling in dark areas. I know someone says well yo have to use lights ... I agree (it disapears if there is highr light level) but anyway this should not happen I think. Sometimes you need to shoot even in dark but you can't because strips are there. Is here anyone who noticed that, because i didn't find much about that on internet. It's like noone noticed that or people are cursed to talk about that. 

2) Second thing ... there are quite lots of rumours about problems with Da Vinci resolve. It doesn't work or it gives well known error message > Your GPU memory is full. Try reducing the timeline resolution or the number of correctors. < I get it as quick as I upload any footage or it crashes soon after I open Da Vinci without any error messages.

Well I have just a year old iMac with this configuration > Processor  2,9 GHz Intel Core i5,Memory  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB, Software  OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)

I have bought BMCC camera which comes with original Da Vinci and a USB key with code. I downloaded a newest version of Da Vinci which is   10.1.1.008 which is latest release at the moment ... how on earth is possible, it doesn't work ?

I'm bit frustrated, because cant see any solution even I read other people with similar problems. 

thanks for response

Rob

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 months later...

What is your workflow with loading the footage into Resolve. I think Michael is looking in the right direction with your graphics card. In the mean time try viewing a lower resolution. What I mean is to go into the settings area, the gear looking icon at the bottom left of the screen. Then go into the RAW camera settings and after selecting the correct camera try reducing your resolution there. This might not help in play mode but perhaps you can at leas see something. 

David

Did you notice the stripes in the dark areas without ANY adjustment in post?  I've never had this issue unless I shoot dark and then lift. Sometimes it only takes a little bit of lifting to make it look like an insect swarm. 

Always shoot 800 iso,  when shooting expose as far right as possible so expose to 95% or 99% zebra and drop exposure in post.  This will give you good shadow detail and minimize noise.  The 13 stops DR is legit, but it get's really crunchy if you try to push the bottom end of the range. 

If you want, post some clips on dropbox and we can check them out. 

Hello all, 

thanks for any response ... I have answers. Who knows may be helpful for anyone else later.

Main problem banding issue ... this is how they call it. It was just by my opinion a badly made batch of BMCCs. I was not so fortunate to avoid that. I complaint to my seller he send it back to Black Magic and they solve the problem I got back a new camera ... all banding disappeared . For anyone else if you find you have something like rolling banding inside a picture ... doesn't matter what ISO or lightning condition ... somehow it appears anyway. Contact your BMCC seller with a complaint under warranty they have to take it back and  repair or send a brand new camera to you.

Da Vinci issue > you were right its a GPU memory thing but not so bad as I thought  ... good news ... first I didn't realised in between footage were some jpg pictures with higher resolution than full HD. It was the main troublemaker. In fact if I upload just  Full HD video footage in mov, prores, mp4 its ok ... it works. Of course I cant work with 2K or even more but for me it not necessary. It means  I'm fine now, it works  ... thanks for your responses.

by the way .. if you want to see how that rolling banding look like ... here we go , sample from my BMCC camera   >   http://youtu.be/WO3xg71Gmx4

play it in full HD and full screen 

quite bad ... isn't it ? 

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same computer in this post. I thought it was plenty sufficient:

24 GB RAM

128 GB Thunderbolt SSD

External scratch disks

But wow. My video card is not enough!

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

I have imported a sequence from FCP 7. All my clips were shot on Canon DSLRs and converted to ProRes 444. None of my clips should be anywhere near the camera RAW threshold. Or perhaps I missed something? How can I get DaVinci Resolve to work on my machine without buying another!