canon FD f1.2 lenses? (GH3)

jasondhsd

I'm looking at getting a used canon FD 50mm or 55mm F1.2 around $250 as a more affordable option to a voitlanger or SLR magic 0.95. But I never see anyone mention these lenses, are there any issues to be aware of as to why it might not be a good option? Has anyone ever shot with these lenses? Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm looking at getting a used canon FD 50mm or 55mm F1.2 around $250 as a more affordable option to a voitlanger or SLR magic 0.95. But I never see anyone mention these lenses, are there any issues to be aware of as to why it might not be a good option? Has anyone ever shot with these lenses? Thanks

I work with a colleague that likes using them on his FS100.  We did a local TV spot and the shots looked good to me.  If you like how they perform, go for it.  Video examples are easy to come by online, but try them yourself.  If you can't test before buying, you'll always be able to resell 'em anyway.  As for a 1.2 or .95, I try not to run my lenses that wide open regardless, unless that's a specific look I'm trying to accomplish or if it's doc production in an extremely low light setting.

Neither of those things tend to happen too often to me so I don't fret too much about the super fast lenses.

My goto prime is a 24mm Nikkor 2.8.  

I've also heard testimony that the Fujinon C mount lenses are impressive/cheap.  Since they make 'em for different sized sensors you just have to make sure you buy ones that cover m43; plenty of forums/advice out there for help if you want to look into it.

• Administrators

Hazy and soft at F1.2, you will notice that the bokeh is nicer than a F1.4 50 (wide open) but the overall image quality much worse. Main problem is purple fringing. And stopped down they perform just like a much cheaper FD 50mm F1.4. Consider the Olympus 55mm F1.2 instead.

The exception is the old FD 50mm F1.2L which maintains good colour and contrast even wide open, and it's very sharp. But pricey.

I have a bunch of FD lenses i use on GH3, such as 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 55mm f2.8 Macro, 135mm f2.5....

My general feedback is that they are amazing for the price. In skilled hands, the results can be very sharp and organic, none of that electronic nonsense degrading the image. 

Focus rings are solid and smooth.

You will need to use them on a tripod or shoulder rig, or your images will shake like a bitch. 

Issues I've had, below 50mm, the bokeh on those lenses are a bit crap. Better with an FD Speedbooster. Some purple flare annoyance sometimes. 

Get the 50mm F1.4. Its really awesome and you could get on for dirt cheap.