G6 or GM1?

malkovich00

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi malkovich00, There are plenty of discussions and reviews of both cameras both here and in other forums. Without knowing exactly how you intend to use your camera, it's difficult to give an answer. Are you planning to shoot lots of sound? Do you need slow motion? Are you planning to use long focal lengths? If so, you might be better off with the G6, from what I've read. Also, if ergonomics is a priority, the GM1 is probably out of the picture. On the other hand, I own both the GM1 and the GH3, and I can't stop shooting with the GM1: I love the camera. I think if you want to fly your camera someday, the smaller one might also be a better choice. In the end, I'm sure you can't go wrong with either camera. Is there a shop nearby you can go to and handle the two?

@jonpais thanks buddy,so you mean i can get better video with g6? actually i don't really need the slow-mo and what i really concern is about the bitrate, does it really show a big differences between them? and how about the stills? and sure i can get these two here hehehe

@andy thanks pal! i've been following your posts about g6, but now i'm confused with this tiny gm1 camera hahaha! 

Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

The GX7 would more or less give you the best of both worlds. The only real negative vs the G6 is it doesn't have a microphone jack. It's a little less suited to video ergonomically I think, but much better than the GM1 and it has 60p.

Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

I really wouldn't go for the GM1 as your main camera. 

Here in the UK there is only a small difference in price between the GM1 and GX7 atm because of cashback deals from Panasonic. Maybe shop around a bit.

Having said that you can get the G6 for silly prices here (half the cost of the GX7 on ebay uk). It's a great camera too. Of the three it's the most optimized for video, although the GM1/GX7 sensor is slightly better I think ...

@jonpais thanks buddy,so you mean i can get better video with g6? actually i don't really need the slow-mo and what i really concern is about the bitrate, does it really show a big differences between them? and how about the stills? and sure i can get these two here hehehe

@andy thanks pal! i've been following your posts about g6, but now i'm confused with this tiny gm1 camera hahaha! 

I can't comment on stills, since I only shoot video. In my case, I got the GM1 as a sort of B camera for the GH3, but I ended up shooting almost exclusively with the GM1. For one thing, the LCD screen is WAY sharper than on the GH3. The sensor is awesome - the color and clarity I get with the Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 lens is nothing short of amazing. As I said before though, it is next to impossible for me to shoot steady with long lenses - I shake a lot for one thing; the ergonomics (without some sort of grip anyway) are not great for telephoto work (there is an extensive write-up over at the Imaging Resource, however, where they look at using long focal lengths to shoot stills); and the stabilization in the Panny 35-100 isn't the very best... It also sounds to me like you have certain goals, but never forget that although you think you might not need a feature like slo-mo today, that could change in the future. I love my GM1 to death, but the G6 might be better suited for your needs... I'll be totally honest and say that I prefer cameras with a metal frame to all plastic, but there seems to be no question that the G6 is rugged enough for everyday use. As has been said, you will probably want your main camera to have an EVF. I say all this even though the GM1 is one of the most fun cameras I've owned. Oh, and even though I shoot 24p 50Mbps with the GH3, I think the GM1's AVCHD files are every bit as good for what I do. In fact, there are many photographers still using the GH1 and GH2 who swear by them. I recently watched a

This link should be live within the next 24 hours. You should see 10 short clips, all but one shot at the home of a friend of mine in Tien Giang province in the Mekong delta and one shot during a tour of the Mekong. The young girl is my friend's daughter. Camera: Lumix GM1, Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 lens. Settings: Standard, 24p, contrast -5, sharpness -3, saturation -2 and NR 0. Several of the interiors were shot at ISO 800.

For me the viewfinder is really crucial. I started as d/slr photographer. And I had sony x100 and several other compat cameras. And I find really diffculut to frame on screen. The el. viewfinder of G6 isnt the best, but still good enough. 

The stills are good as well, But DSLR will make you more happy than G6. And one advice - skip the kit lens. It's not that bad, but it's so boring. Instead of it buy some manual lens with adapter.:)

@Matt yeah, that one is my real problem, this one going to be my main camera since i quit from canon things haha ,

@jonpais mate, you're really confuse me a lot haha , thanks for the footage btw, hey since you have GM-1 and GH3 is that true that the differences between the GH3 75 Mbps vs GM1 AVCHD (which is about 20 Mbps) is not too far?

@nvldk thanks for the advice, yeah i have a thought that if i buy the G6 i'll drop the kit lens and buy samyang cinematic lenses, love that thing so much!

@Matt yeah, that one is my real problem, this one going to be my main camera since i quit from canon things haha ,

@jonpais mate, you're really confuse me a lot haha , thanks for the footage btw, hey since you have GM-1 and GH3 is that true that the differences between the GH3 75 Mbps vs GM1 AVCHD (which is about 20 Mbps) is not too far?

@nvldk thanks for the advice, yeah i have a thought that if i buy the G6 i'll drop the kit lens and buy samyang cinematic lenses, love that thing so much!

If I've confused you even more, I've succeeded! :) I only shoot 24p 50Mbps with GH3, so I don't know about 75Mbps. Most people say the higher bit rate option is muddy looking. I don't do color grading or fast moving objects (that is, things faster than a person walking), so I don't think there's a big difference... I posted a link to a Franc Perec video - he still uses the GH1 and GH2 a lot, and he even posted a video from the unhacked GH1 and he was happy with the results and he knows a heck of a lot more than I do, so there you are. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but those high bit rates really only come in handy if you're shooting action or doing extensive color correction. 

Michael Reichmann, writing about the GM1 for his website, has just penned the very first negative review I've seen of the camera. His main gripes: the control wheel, which he says is the worst design ever, and the lack of an EVF. I have to agree with him about trying to shoot without at least an articulating LCD: it's all but impossible to hold the camera steady, especially with long lenses. But I must ever so politely disagree with him about the control wheel - in fact, I find that when changing shutter speed, aperture and white balance, the ergonomics are way easier than with the GH3. It's true though that it is possible to change the point of focus by inadvertently touching the screen, something I did quite often when first using the camera, but which doesn't happen much anymore. So there you are: get the G6! :)

you know what? my mind changed after i see reichmann's review, i see the point there, and i think i'm going to get G6 and the G6 body is not too big too (i mean the ergonomics) , but still i really looooove the design of GM-1 ._.,thanks anyway for your help pal!  hahahaha

Make sure you keep us informed how it works out for you!