somnikfilms

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, although I've been a EOSHD reader for a long time. I'm sure many of you have al lot of experience in the 4/3 area, which I don't. That's why I thought maybe you could help me with these questions:

1. How would the GH4 integrate with the new Nikkor 80-400 AFS VRII?

2. Would I loose the optical stabilization (VR)?

3. Which adapter would you recommend?

4. Do you think this would be a good combination? I'm very interested in this lens because sometimes I shoot wildlife, and I know its optical stabilization works great for video. That's critical at long focal lenghts or when shooting handheld. I also think the native 4/3 alternatives (100-300 panasonic...) cannot match its optical quality.

5. Do you know if the GH4 has some kind of "in camera video crop mode"? I know, having 4k you can crop later, but that means dealing with much larger files. And it would be very useful when you know for sure you are going to crop anyway.

Thanks in advance! Any comments will be welcome!

Daniel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

1. How would the GH4 integrate with the new Nikkor 80-400 AFS VRII?

It won't. 

2. Would I loose the optical stabilization (VR)?

Yup.

3. Which adapter would you recommend?

That depends on what you want, but the obvious choice would be the Metabones Speed Booster.

Other normal but good adapters (no lenses, no change in focal length/field of view) include the Novoflex Nikon G to mFT adapter, the standard Metabones Nikon G to mFT adapter, or the Fotodiox Nikon G to mFT adapter.

4. Do you think this would be a good combination? I'm very interested in this lens because sometimes I shoot wildlife, and I know its optical stabilization works great for video. That's critical at long focal lenghts or when shooting handheld. 

It's a matter of taste. The Nikkor is rather big and awkward with the Panasonic and the adapter, but no doubt usable with a proper tripod. 

I also think the native 4/3 alternatives (100-300 panasonic...) cannot match its optical quality.

M'kay...

5. Do you know if the GH4 has some kind of "in camera video crop mode"? I know, having 4k you can crop later, but that means dealing with much larger files. And it would be very useful when you know for sure you are going to crop anyway.

It might, á la GM1, but I believe it's a bit too early to tell. The camera isn't out yet, and no one (here) has got a chance to delve into the nooks and crannies of the camera yet, or even read the manual.

Thanks for the superfast response!

That M'kay... means that you think it could actually be similar in terms of quality and optical stabilization? Or that do you know other super-telephoto lenses from other brands that would fit well with the GH4. I'm going to be needing no less than 600mm equivalent...

Thanks for the answer!

I wish there existed longer telephoto lenses for MFT though. I know they're not needed for most common filmaking situations, but for wildlife documentaries...

That being said, a crop mode in the GH4 could do the trick. Or cropping 4k footage in post.

Speaking of DSLR vs mirrorless, I'd love to say goodbye to the monstruous Z-finders and use a proper electronic viewfinder (or articulated screen)!

Remember, we are still in the days when Vimeo recommends you downscaling your uploads to 720p for better playback performance. There's nothing worse than a stuttering video or one that stops in the middle of the action.

The future of video might be 4k, but it will also be streaming. And speed connections, generally speaking, still need to improve.