Hands-on preview of the powerful 4K shooting Panasonic GH4!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is late and I hope you are still reading this thread...

It sounds like you have Panasonic's ear, so I was hoping you could pass along the following (if you think it is a good idea...). Given that a crop is used for the video modes, what I would really like to see is an "expanded" 4K or Ultra-HD mode, where it records a wider image with a band of extra pixels around the outside of the usual crop. That way you could do stabilization in post without having to upscale and lose IQ. You would lose a little on having to compress a larger image, but you would gain I think in both the simplicity and the quality of the stabilization, because you would just be moving around the 4K/UltraHD window.

Thanks for all you do!

• Administrators

This is late and I hope you are still reading this thread...

It sounds like you have Panasonic's ear, so I was hoping you could pass along the following (if you think it is a good idea...). Given that a crop is used for the video modes, what I would really like to see is an "expanded" 4K or Ultra-HD mode, where it records a wider image with a band of extra pixels around the outside of the usual crop. That way you could do stabilization in post without having to upscale and lose IQ. You would lose a little on having to compress a larger image, but you would gain I think in both the simplicity and the quality of the stabilization, because you would just be moving around the 4K/UltraHD window.

Thanks for all you do!

This is exactly what I suggested to Panasonic in our meeting :) "Super 4K'. A near 5K camera in a sea of 4K cameras this year, would be good for sales as well as for us.

I was calculating a 2.61 crop factor in UHD mode, until I realized that you can't compare a crop factor from a 3:2 stills format directly with 16:9 video format.  My calculation is now 2.49 based on using the full sensor width of a full frame sensor.  Still a hefty crop factor, but I can understand the engineers not wanting to resort to pixel binning, which would create artifacts.  I'm sure they wanted the sharpest picture possible.

Michael

Andrew,

I am dying to know if the GH4 eliminates the 10 Seconds “Screen Off†issue that has plagued the GH3. Does or will the screen display elements (i.e. audio meters, level gauge, battery, card, etc.) of the GH4's LCD stay active/on indefinitely while recording video????

Great article!!

Andrew,

I am dying to know if the GH4 eliminates the 10 Seconds “Screen Off†issue that has plagued the GH3. Does or will the screen display elements (i.e. audio meters, level gauge, battery, card, etc.) of the GH4's LCD stay active/on indefinitely while recording video????

Great article!!

+1