Looking for a compact zoom lens

mehrpower42

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@ fuzzy: thanks for the quick reply. Right now I have a GH2 with some nice Canon FD primes.

But for filming while climbing in alpine routes I just don't want to fumble with several lenses hanging at a belay some 100 meters off the ground. I want the most compact setup as possible! I think the GM1 does that. But what is the best zoom lens for that task?

I think the GM1 does that. But what is the best zoom lens for that task?

I think so.  

Totally depends on you visual tastes.  I like the "standard" focal range 50mm - 100mm, but for climbing I can see how something wide would be nice.

Handheld you're probably not going to want to zoom in too much anyway, right?  With the kit lens you get an full frame equivalent 24mm to 64mm.  Good workhorse sort of range there.  And since you're shooting in daylight, you need not worry about having a fast lens.

I suppose if you want something low-light for evenings around the fire, taking along a fast pancake prime would help.  Otherwise, just roll with the GM1's kit lens.

Oh, I'd suggest putting a .9 ND and polarizer on the lens too.  It'll help keep your shutter speed reasonable on bright sunny days.

Panasonic 14-42 is image stabalised and has aspheric elements it is very very sharp , small and compact

dont be put off by the term 'kit lens' it is a very good lens and its cheap

I like it alot especially outside , I use Cokin ND4 and ND8 on it depending on how bight the day is

they brought out a MKII version of the 14-42 and its even better it sells for about £100 + on ebay