More nasty anti-customer / pro profit tactics, this time from Nikon

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Take a look at this...

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/12/08/the-last-d3100-d3200-d5100-d5200-and-p7700-firmware-update-killed-third-party-battery-compatibility.aspx/

- Third party batteries banned for use in D5200 and others

- Absolutely no mention in the change log for firmware update

I think that's an absolute disgrace not to mention it in the change log for the firmware update.

Imagine if you had an important shoot coming and then suddenly none of your batteries worked any more.

Again this will upset more customers and turn away more customers from Nikon than it will gain them in profit from genuine battery sales.

And I am sure they will say they did it for safety related reasons, so I must somehow be missing all those horror stories of third party batteries damaging cameras or setting fire to kittens. Bad bad third party batteries.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Take a look at this...

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/12/08/the-last-d3100-d3200-d5100-d5200-and-p7700-firmware-update-killed-third-party-battery-compatibility.aspx/

- Third party batteries banned for use in D5200 and others

- Absolutely no mention in the change log for firmware update

I think that's an absolute disgrace not to mention it in the change log for the firmware update.

Imagine if you had an important shoot coming and then suddenly none of your batteries worked any more.

Again this will upset more customers and turn away more customers from Nikon than it will gain them in profit from genuine battery sales.

And I am sure they will say they did it for safety related reasons, so I must somehow be missing all those horror stories of third party batteries damaging cameras or setting fire to kittens. Bad bad third party batteries.

They did the same thing at the same time to the P7700/P7800 compact. The firmware update rendered 3rd party batteries useless. However, I did read some were able to reinstall the previous firmware so their batteries would work again. Still, kinda disgraceful. 

I did just buy a D5300, but I'm in no way a fan of Nikon or their practices these days. They really don't seem to give a flip about their customers anymore.

Ridiculous. Just look at crap chinese camera accessories that can work with anything that has power. There are many camera LED lighting panels that work with old sony camcorder batteries, nokia cellphone batteries, AA or AAA batteries, I would not be shocked if you could stuck a potato in it and would still work. That is how it is supposed to be.

I have a Canon 550D and bought 5 separate batteries for $5 each, What the hell does the battery matter. For warranty issues just LOG the battery that was used so the service can read it post mortem and tell you it was all your fault your camera died. That is highly unlikely though.

I had a Sanyo camcorder with 3 3rd party batteries and the one that died was the original genuine battery, it had a big hump on it...