Anyone using the VAF anti-aliasing filter?

syrcular

Hi all,

Is anyone out there using the VAF Antlaliasing filter for any of the canon bodies and can tell me how their experiences have been?  I'm in the middle of a purchase decision, and thinking about buying a 70D as my second stills and video body to my Canon 5D Mark II.  I really like the 70D's speed of focus and the video autofocus system, but when I shot with it the other day for video I was so disappointed by the amount of moire and aliasing I experienced.

Just curious..if anyone's used the filter and had good or bad experiences?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Andrew.  You bring up a big conundrum, I've been tackling.  Because I do a fair share of still photography, I wanted to purchase a body that I could use for stills in addition to video.  I tested out the 70D last weekend in NY, and was surprised at how good the focus system was and how fast I could get sharp pictures, as well as the auto focus in video mode.  

Ultimately here was my plan.  To get a Canon 70D and a Panasonic G6

With this option I'll have three cameras to use banking on each of their high points

- With my 5D Mark II I currently have, I can shoot all my nighttime and low light scenes for video, and also continue to use it as my portrait and fine art photography camera.
- With a Canon 70D, I can use it as a street photography camera, for it's speedy shutter and focus, for action photography, if I ever needed it, and for any steadycam/glidecam work using the video autofocus system.
- The G6 I would use for slow motion stuff since it supports full 1080p60 and is dirt cheap with loads of capabilities.

The other option was to sell my 5D Mark II and just get a 5D Mark III.  But the price is so prohibitive for me, right now, I was looking at these alternatives, and thought this could give me the best of both worlds.

As far as the GH3 thought.  I've always leaned towards liking the Canon color better than Panasonics.  I've always found it more pleasing and easier to grade with, than the Panasonic.  I'm testing a GH3 I rented, this weekend, and although the image is quite good I'm having a hard time achieving good color settings to say match the color I have on my 5D...which by the way is based off of your Canon 5D Mark III settings vault article.  Thanks for that by the way!

So I'm curious...do you recommend the 7D over the 70D?  What don't you like about the 70D?  Would be curious to hear your take on this and your recommendations on what I am ultimately trying to do and if you have any settings recommends as well!

• Administrators

Is auto-focus in video mode important to you? For me that's the only advantage of the 70D in terms of video. If you own a lot of Canon glass that's also an advantage to having the 70D.

Stills a different matter. For my own street photography I tend to use a Sony RX1 or X100S with silent shutter, and because they're small and jacket pocketable. OM-D E-M1 also worth a look for that. 70D is OK for this too.