In depth test - 5D Mark III and 7D Raw vs Blackmagic Pocket vs GH3

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I made a sample frame of this EOHD vimeo clip. I digged shadows and applied heavy sharpening and some color boosting to see clearer the differences of cameras. I cant post any photos now but I posted same frame to DPreview "Digital video talk" forum. http://***URL removed***/forums/post/52650036   By the way is that okay to post links to other forums? I am new in these matters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

In your test, you talk about resolution, it's the level of detail... is it the sharpenees too when you talk about this Andrew ? Because the gh3 seems to be more sharp than the other in the video i saw but have lower resolution on your test...

let me know please

Hi,

In your test, you talk about resolution, it's the level of detail... is it the sharpenees too when you talk about this Andrew ? Because the gh3 seems to be more sharp than the other in the video i saw but have lower resolution on your test...

let me know please

What I can say is that GH3 has a bit less resolution than the best fullHD video cameras like Panasonic TM700, Canon C100, Sony RX10, 5D3 RAW or BMPCC. GH3 has a hard default sharpening which looks very sharp but it thickens fine lines and detail. I use sh -5 and sharpen in post. Result is then closer to best resolution cameras.

GH3 measured resolution is about 850-900lines, best have almost 1000lines

Thanks vesku, someone have an idea what was the score of the fs700 and new gm1 with the same global rating (Resolution, Low light – 5Dynamic range – 8Colour – 9Moire & aliasing Handling – 8) there is in this test ?

Thanks

Thanks vesku, someone have an idea what was the score of the fs700 and new gm1 with the same global rating (Resolution, Low light – 5Dynamic range – 8Colour – 9Moire & aliasing Handling – 8) there is in this test ?

Thanks

The problem is that almost nobody or no review site measures comparable video specs so that we can compare video cameras easily. The knowledge is scattered all over the net. I have been asking to shoot with video same charts they take photos in camera review sites. Best site with some comparable charts and reviews is in my mind:

http://www.slashcam.de/

They have FS-700 test too.

The problem is that almost nobody or no review site measures comparable video specs so that we can compare video cameras easily. The knowledge is scattered all over the net. I have been asking to shoot with video same charts they take photos in camera review sites. Best site with some comparable charts and reviews is in my mind:

http://www.slashcam.de/

They have FS-700 test too.

Pity it's in German with no English version... :(

They had'nt tested it themselves. They just evaluate the specs, so nothing you and me couldn't do. Their conclusion:

"The FS700 is a solid workhorse, that's best put on a tripod, on which alone it can be operated properly. Unrivaled it's 240p slow motion, very unfortunate that it still is limited to 8-bit. Due to numerous available adapters the E-mount can no longer be called a limitation".

Well, not far from the Google translation:

"The NEX-FS700 a solid workhorse that feels especially on a tripod well and is easy to operate accordingly. A unique feature is the slow-motion ability regrettable the 8 bit limitation. Thanks to numerous Adpaterlösungen available, the E-mount does not constitute a real restriction more"