Advice on DSLR/Camcorder combo?

lhill

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to make a new camera purchase (or two) and I’m hoping some of the folks on the forum can help me. I haven’t owned my own cameras (not professional ones anyway) for years, having either worked on projects with supplied gear or doing post.

My plan is to focus primarily on shooting commercials, music videos, training videos, etc (as well as narrative whenever I can) where I think a good DSLR would be the way to go, but – especially at first – I think I’ll also have to pick up some work doing events, weddings, concerts that would ideally require a video camera. My current plan is to buy both – I have a very limited budget, but also don’t want to skimp on the quality I’ll need to turn in professional work. Here are my thoughts:

DSLR: The two contenders for me were the 5DMarkIII and the GH2 (especially hacked). As much as I’m intrigued by the GH2 (and the MUCH lower price) I also need the ability to shoot very good stills (I occasionally shoot headshots, models, etc.) and the 5D seems like the clear winner in that department as well as having excellent video, so I’m thinking I’ll have to splurge for the 5D (even though it’s way more than I was hoping to spend) and some good glass. Does that sound right?

VIDEO CAM: As far as the video camera goes, I’m more uncertain. I’m thinking of either going with something that takes multiple lenses like the FS100 or AF100, but since I’ll have a DSLR, maybe something simpler like a used XHA1, EX1 or maybe an XF100? I used one of those on a shoot recently and it seemed like a decent camera.

Can anyone offer any advice to help me narrow down my selection?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

the bit rate is not an issue Mark the image is BETTER than my Nick Driftwood 150mb/s hacked GH2 - you need to use a G6

it is instantly obvious once you get hold of the camera

Panasonic have done an amazing job tweeking the G6 so its image is so much better than a hacked GH2

and righly so - you should be able to buy a Panasonic camera and have it work superbly WITHOUT hacking it

The G6 is that camera , it is also much better than a GH3 image wise, I dont like the GH3 sensor at all for video.