What camera should I get for filming protests and blogging?!?!?!

tangled

Hi everyone! So I need help on picking a camera, I've also sucked at deciding in general. Basically I need it to film videos for my vlog, some of me at home and others me filming protests. If it was just videos at home of me talking I wouldn't care that much, but filming protests means the camera has to do well in different lighting, specifically low light, and it has to deal with a lot of people moving around. Another important thing is audio, because during protests I might ask someone some stuff and I'd like the viewer to be able to hear them. I know DSLR's don't do very well in that aspect, although you can buy a separate thing for that. 

I'm not sure about budget yet, I am a student though so don't suggest anything more than $800ish while I figure what I can afford. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

Thank you :) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

ideally with no budget restraints...

filming protests - outside weather could be bad - camera gets wet alot!!

So either a Canon 5dMK11 or MK111 as both have weather sealed bodies

Most pro news stills camera men use Canon 5ds that work for newspapers plus embedded reporters with armed forces in Afghanistan use Canon 5ds too as they are rugged and weather proof and they can shoot stills and video with them and they are smaller than large shoulder mounted ENG cameras .

If you need a video for vlogging, why not go with the good ol' Panasonic GH2? I've used it for my video blogs for the longest time. Never let me down once. Here's a sample of one shot a few days ago. I'll show it to you because my second audio source failed, so I had to end up using the on-board audio from the camera. I feel it works perfectly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A12kBayWb2E

ideally with no budget restraints...

filming protests - outside weather could be bad - camera gets wet alot!!

So either a Canon 5dMK11 or MK111 as both have weather sealed bodies

Most pro news stills camera men use Canon 5ds that work for newspapers plus embedded reporters with armed forces in Afghanistan use Canon 5ds too as they are rugged and weather proof and they can shoot stills and video with them and they are smaller than large shoulder mounted ENG cameras .

Complete overkill.. The GH3 is fully weather sealed with a full magnesium alloy body too....

I'm not sure about budget yet, I am a student though so don't suggest anything more than $800ish while I figure what I can afford. 

GH2 runs for about $600 these days used. Or you could go for the Panasonic G6 which is a step-up codec-wise, and gives you 60fps. For video blogs you'll definitely want a flip-out screen that gives full 180 rotation. 

You've got a lot of options here to choose from. I'll add that I did not recommend any Olympus cameras because their screens only tilt (they don't swivel). A full swivel where you can flip it around to see yourself is essential to video blogs in my opinion. A GoPro also lacks a screen altogether, unless you get an external solution. 

I might suggest the Sony RX100 compact. It's very geurilla, stabilised and easy.

Agreed - RX100 or the RX100 mk2 seem like a perfect choice to me. I've used this at concerts, airports, etc. where my dslr would otherwise not be allowed. Image quality is great, and plenty of functionality. Right in your price range

• 5 months later...

Really late reply here, but I've finally been able to save up enough and I've decided to go for a GH3. I'm slightly tempted by the GH4 but I know I won't need 4k filming and over $1,000 is just not affordable so I'm restraining myself. Thanks everyone for their help! I really appreciate it. 

Something you can afford to lose, I suppose. Others have suggested the RX100 line, and I think that's a good idea. Maybe the GM1 is worth considering as well? The kit lens (while effectively AF only) is quite nice and easy to conceal in the event you need to duck out without incident. I would probably get one of these, as the sensor is quite nice and it's a great stills camera as well.