Blackmagic 4k update?

Germy1979

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't think anyone apart from BMD know anything about this camera Only that its deadlines have come and gone and BMD haven't made any new statements re progress. One has to wonder if the 4K with global sensor is actually workable and whether they have come unstuck.

CVP says 30/11/2013

CVP or anyone knows when the 4k is due. I think though we can say its in development hell as BMD will not update or discuss why they passed the promised delay date. I personally think they are having trouble with noise and reaching an acceptable 12 stops. Then if that ever gets done there will be calibration White orbs and sensor checks. A first film by John Brawley and then gearing up to produce a limited quantity for some lucky/unlucky beta testers (Joe Public)

Then a few more problems worked out and a slow build to full manufacture All of course delayed by their attention to other cameras and equipment that need updates and fixes as well as trade fairs.

Perhaps 2nd quarter 2014?

Such a promised sweet camera that keeps many of us from buying something grossly overpriced like the canon 1DC and free of 4k nirvana for the foreseeable future

• Administrators

The story is:

The production sensors to go in the final shipped units differed from the samples, so they had to start again with calibration.

They are using this time to squeeze out a better image rather than rush it out.

It isn't in development hell, just delayed.

In my opinion I'd take dynamic range over resolution so this camera is not for me. Prefer the form factor of a DSLR or Pocket camera as well. However global shutter would be useful and you're getting a 4K Super 35mm sensor, for not much money.

Yes The 4k sounds great although I don't hold out any chance of seeing it for a long time. Yes BMD did say there were calibration issues and set a new date when it would be done. If it was JUST calibration issues the camera should be sorted They then went past that date and not bothered to inform those on waiting lists for it making many people very annoyed at the lack of communication making me worry that it is more than calibration issues and there was some mention a while back about the sensor having an awful lot of noise and problems reaching 12 stops. For me these delays seem to give more credence to that and the lack of info from BMD doesn't help.

Someone said it looks better than the RED Epic with Dragon sensor  ;)

Let me guess... the people who sell them?

Never seen a good image coming out of a GoPro and its plastic lens. Great for holiday action videos yeah, serious filmmaking? Hell no.

The 4k BMD has many advantages over the other BMD cameras, Global Shutter, APS-C sensor and 4k are well worth losing 1 or 2 stops dynamic range, at least to me. People do great work with H264 DSLRs, you just have to know your camera and how to compensate for its weaknesses, and at that price range it should be the most capable camera around.

Personally, I will be thrilled to leave rolling shutter jello ridden cameras behind as soon as I can.

Let me guess... the people who sell them?
Never seen a good image coming out of a GoPro and its plastic lens. Great for holiday action videos yeah, serious filmmaking? Hell no.

The 4k BMD has many advantages over the other BMD cameras, Global Shutter, APS-C sensor and 4k are well worth losing 1 or 2 stops dynamic range, at least to me. People do great work with H264 DSLRs, you just have to know your camera and how to compensate for its weaknesses, and at that price range it should be the most capable camera around.

Personally, I will be thrilled to abandon rolling shutter jello ridden cameras behind as soon as I can.

Yeah losing a stop of DR sucks, but it's one stop. I can sure live with 12 stops after running with a Gh2 for years, lol.
I'm just curious how dirty it is. Neat video is great, but it won't save a shot with a lot of detail in it. Seems to be a big concern
With everyone about the noise.

The flipside to this delay, (which would be just fine with me) - is if they delivered an image that exceeds the original concept.
Better noise floor than the 2.5k, maybe we get that 13th stop back, etc..? No one has seen any footage from it anyway.