5D3 RAW outresolves EPIC

mtheory

Maybe no camera has been bricked if that is what you are saying but Magic Lantern are keen to distance themselves from such an eventuality. That at least should say something to even the most limited intellect.

I really don't care what legalese or platitudes Magic Lantern or BlackMagic have or do not have on their websites.  All I care about is will the product work as advertised.  In that regard based on numerous people loading up the software and not "bricking" their cameras Magic Lantern passes this test.  Flowery statements from companies thousands of miles away are of little solace when you are sitting there with an inoperable camera.

Anyway it's a free country.  You can pick your poison.  I'm not telling you what to use.  I'm just giving my opinion so when other amateurs read this thread they can know the truth... The latest Magic Lantern has NEVER bricked a Canon 5D MK III.  End of story.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Even with no hacks the Canon 5D MKIII is ready to go and shoot hand held in all kinds of situations where a BMCC would be banned or impractical.  Heck I've shot my 650D all day with a pocket full of batteries.  The $2,000 BMCC can't do that.  It's a great camera but it has some serious flaws that make it very impractical for amateurs like me.

I think you summed your post up with the word amateur Because the 5D is a perfect camera for amateur filmmakers who want to play with professional equipment and don't need to worry if it all goes tits up. But please don't sex up the camera Fanboys are so tiresome.

Well yes that sums it up. The BMCC isn't made for 'amateurs'. Neither is the 5D3 for that matter, especially if you consider it a raw shooting camera.

Don't waste time arguing on this. Just shoot with the camera you have and be happy with it.  No camera is any good without content to actually shoot. Make content. Be happier. Then be really happy when you can shoot with an Epic, because you made content before that rocked! 

It's so much more impressive when someone says 'Wow! You shot THAT on an iPhone! Killer!!' compared to 'So that's what the Epic can do. Beautiful footage.'

The iPhone user was very happy when shooting his content. The Epic user is a seasoned professional. Both are the same person. Both, very very happy. 

I really don't care what legalese or platitudes Magic Lantern or BlackMagic have or do not have on their websites.  All I care about is will the product work as advertised.  In that regard based on numerous people loading up the software and not "bricking" their cameras Magic Lantern passes this test.  Flowery statements from companies thousands of miles away are of little solace when you are sitting there with an inoperable camera.

Anyway it's a free country.  You can pick your poison.  I'm not telling you what to use.  I'm just giving my opinion so when other amateurs read this thread they can know the truth... The latest Magic Lantern has NEVER bricked a Canon 5D MK III.  End of story.

Yes but it has bricked other cameras so its a continuing story and one that ML readily admit is a possibility they want to distance themselves from. However bricking the camera is really just a small point if you ruined your once in a lifetime chance to make something professional only the camera for whatever reason let you down. That is THE point and the only thing that is relevant.

By all means take the risk. The only relevant point is I believe through common sense and logic I wont be doing that. That is my choice and I think under the circumstances a reasonable one as I would like nothing more than to buy a Canon 5d3 and shoot RAW it would seriously make me very happy But there is the voice of common sense that tells me if just a few shots go down and ruin my film then I would be a prat.

However others may feel happy t take the risk.

The truth is Im just so booooooooorrreed waitng for BMD to send the frigging pocket camera and 4k Im willing to entertain the idea of the 5D3 and others like the 1dc Arrrghhhhhhh

I've shot four shorts with the 5dmarkIII raw. Each of them had a length of about 3-8 minutes with about 30 minutes of raw material per short. I'm starting to feel really comfortable with it and will probably shoot quite a lot of next ones with it. Besides, you guys never heard of taking a shot again? Or is your film so great that your silly actors can't do a line again?

Not one shot has been ruined.

It looks great and lowlight is awesome. But it isn't near epic sharpness (unless you really mess around).

Alos once you have shot with cinema cameras they all start to have their own foibles and caveats, so a raw sooting small camera like 5D MKiii could well find itself onto cinema shoots. In a few hours I'm getting my first blast on the F55, (an advert project) but I'm more worried about how much of a headache the file formats will give us in post than I am excited about image quality...

I'll be much happier once I get raw working in a small camera, shooting cine cam is a hassle. No matter how far you strip them they still weigh a lot and are cumbersome. The batteries are very heavy... Think about it, plenty of 5Ds are in use as crash cams on big budget shoots. If the ML raw gets to non-alpha status, I have no doubt you'll read about it in American Cinematographer for being used on an action flick.

The point being even for those who have shot on the high end things, these smaller cheaper cameras are still interesting! They're tools, and a new breed of tool opens up new possibilities at lower budgets. To be honest, they're more interesting than the high end because they're reasonable priced due to economy of scale...

JG

I guess in the end risk management is what you consider acceptable presumably based on the consequences if it does go wrong.

I want to make a feature film and to that end need a camera that I know wont let me down.

I was once in this position before Everyone said what a fantastic camera the GH2 was and I sort of had a similar debate as we are having. I bought it Hacked it then loads of tests later set out and used on a shoot. BAM that's the only time it went wrong not just once but everytime. And too late what would have been amazing shots gone. I cant afford to buy a 5d3 and a BMCC Most of my money has gone on other equipment So my choice of camera will be crucial.

I've shot four shorts with the 5dmarkIII raw. Each of them had a length of about 3-8 minutes with about 30 minutes of raw material per short. I'm starting to feel really comfortable with it and will probably shoot quite a lot of next ones with it.

Have you a link?

Besides, you guys never heard of taking a shot again?

If you catch the problem then you can but what if you get to review the footage and then find problems? You may not be able to reshoot.

Or is your film so great that your silly actors can't do a line again?

If I regarded my film as great why would my actors be silly and how does that equate to not being able to do a line again?

Not one shot has been ruined.

It looks great and lowlight is awesome. But it isn't near epic sharpness (unless you really mess around).

Clearly your childish remarks spell amateur yourself and should maybe learn to be more respectful and in your case I'm sure the 5D3 is more than enough.

JG

I bought it Hacked it then loads of tests later set out and used on a shoot. BAM that's the only time it went wrong not just once but everytime. And too late what would have been amazing shots gone.

I feel your pain, Sod's law is the one thing you can't account for!

Best of luck with the feature! I've yet to commit to one myself, though I'm sure I will. I'm interested to learnt the highs and lows, keep us updated!

Yes if you simply can't afford the alternative in question then regardless of all other consideration you'll have to go with something you can afford.

Budget is always the first question, and lower than 5D MKiii the only choice would be BMD. Bargains can be had with 5Ds, I found one for 1500 which is the same price as BMD, but that was probably lucky. But then raw is indeed alpha, so if you're shooting now, and can get a BMD now for that price, it seems like the best option yes. I also had to send back the KB cards for being below spec, so that didn't impress me at all.

Though of course you'll need to take the external battery, monitor and storage issue into account in that total costing of BMD.

The storage is slightly cheaper on BMD in real-terms because you don't have to f**k around with Komputer Bay cards to make cost realistic, but the batteries are expensive and bulky (unless there's a solution I haven't found yet), as you'll likely be going V-lock so about £300 minimum, for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lanparte-DSLR-15mm-Shoulder-Pad-V-Mount-Baterry-Power-Supply-With-130Wh-Battery-/271259091128?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f284d40b8

The BMD monitor is pretty much invisible in proper daylight so you'll need something to cover it or an external one, this is the same for 5D, though that screen is brighter.

Lenses are another issue. You could hire for either at good rates. If you own a certain kind of glass and are using that, then that makes a large part of the decision for you.

As an aside, since we're mainly talking about our own passion projects here, after that meeting I think I'm swapping to Epic for the advert. The established workflow beats the F55 global shutter, all things considered. It's funny how often that's the case when you're spending someone else's cash!