Exclusive: SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT 1,33X 50 pricing announced

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT 1,33 50

The new SLR Magic anamorphic lens now has an official title and price.

Dubbed "ANAMORPHOT 1,33X 50" - it will cost $799 for the anamorphic adapter.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11290/exclusive-slr-magic-anamorphot-1-3x-50-pricing-announced]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sounds good. Shame the early adapter kit is m43 only. I want to use it on fullframe, already have diopters and don't need the 35mm.

Is there any news on the flare? Or will the kit have the same characteristics as what we've seen so far?

So volunteers are basically early bird buyers who cannnot return items, cannot select which ones they want (forcing to buy the 35mm is quite absurd) and have to make a short video for free giving SLR commercial rights on it.

In return? 20% discount on the whole package, plus probably shipping and taxes which bring the price at starting point, if not higher.

Forgive me if I cannot be so enthusiastic about it as others..

riccardo slr magic products are for life why would you want to return it before the end of your life? your lack of blind belief is troubling my friend.

you need reprogramming :)

listen to me now listen to me. you are feeling sheepy

say after me iscorama. iscorama the end is near.

you will learn to love the fuzzy sides on a 5d at f2.8 that  is the new improved way.

old is old you cannot compete with the improved new.

ok goood when you awake you will find your mastercard and buy new.

buy

bye

buy more take a blue pill

and bee happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUzTDp12Vz8

• Administrators

So volunteers are basically early bird buyers who cannnot return items, cannot select which ones they want (forcing to buy the 35mm is quite absurd) and have to make a short video for free giving SLR commercial rights on it.

In return? 20% discount on the whole package, plus probably shipping and taxes which bring the price at starting point, if not higher.

Forgive me if I cannot be so enthusiastic about it as others..

Like $799 for a cutting edge modern anamorphic is unexciting... I can only chuckle at that.

Also - the short video is a way for aspiring filmmakers to get their work noticed.

In the early adopter package you're getting the anamorphic for $500.

The 35mm T1.4 cine lens is already pretty good value at $499, then add the set of two diopters for the price of just one used Tokina ($299).

Sorry but you can't fault the pricing.

Iscorama is $3000 + tax + whatever the greed on eBay is rated at these days, so good luck with that.

SLR Magic aren't out to reap a load of short term profit from us and they won't even cover the R&D costs on the initial shipments. They are here to jump start a dead market. Be grateful! There are no new anamorphic lenses. SLR Magic and Letus stepped in and now there are. It is the beginning of something so get behind it. Standing back slinging mud only to reap the rewards in 5 years when they're producing Iscorama beating optics in Asia for consumer prices is myopic thinking.

Like $799 for a cutting edge modern anamorphic is unexciting... I can only chuckle at that.

You missed my earlier question...

$799 for an adapter without a spec sheet is worrying. I will expand upon my earlier question.

Can this adapter be used with 1.8/85mm, 2.0/100mm, 2.8/135mm and 4.0/200mm lenses wide open? What do you see when these lenses are attached?

You have tested this unit - what is the answer?

cutting edge it is a rejigged century and a copy of the tokina.

great pricing here i admit but century was badly made they have up'd the glass grinding quality control is all put in a bit of focus macro movement.

i see modest r and d costings apart from deconstruct.

they spent the big money buying an iscorama 42 that is where the budget went and buying sankors and kowa.

cutting edge is a big word for such a modest single element optic.

they are modestly testing the waters really.

beating iscorama in the future is a great goal for them .

kind of like saying slr could best leica in 0.95 optics design in the future.

besting century panasonic anamorphic is one thing beating leica or iscorama is one large everest at a decent price point.

let us see some locked off shots at f1.8 without close up achromat before the words cutting edge are used me thinks.

The 35mm T1.4 cine lens is already pretty good value at $499, then add the set of two diopters for the price of just one used Tokina ($299).

Sorry but you can't fault the pricing.

I am not debating about the final price of this stuff, I cannot argue about it until I know the quality of the product by comparing different reviews.

So, pricing is not the problem.

What I'm talking about is this volounteer campaign.

Usually it works in a different way, and there's good reasons for it.

I could think of being an early buyer, but:

- I don't need the 50mm, no matter how it's good or priced

- I want to send the lens back and get money back if I'm not atisfied with it

- I don't want to feel obliged to make a movie for SLR magic 

May I disagree with slr idea of volounteer? :)

PS

If their fear for "evaluation" copies is that they don't come back (as somewhere else stated) there's many solutions for it, including a 1 month trial, after that you send the lens back and they give you your money back, otherwise they finalize the transaction.

Haven't tested it on your selection of unnamed lenses John. How about being more constructive than the usual forum user and buying the kit to find out :) Be part of something great.

C'mon Andrew; your'e sitting on a mountain of choice glass which no doubt includes the aforementioned lens range and it did not cross your mind to see how this thing performed with them. What kind of review is that?

You got me thinking that you may have sold yourself cheap for the price of a pizza  :rolleyes:

Asking folks to spend $799 or more without an option for a refund is illegal business practice in the European Community, as it contravenes distance selling regulations, inciting folks to do it is an entirely different ball game (cf bollocks!)

So what is the answer to my question - let me guess - B-L-U-R ?

I agree that the lack of specs is a bit worrying. Can we have a wee bit more info on the thing?

Is the diopter now replacing the macro focus switch we'd read about on prototype units? Which lens coating (if any) did they opt for?

Just need to know if it's worth listing my LA7200 on eBay or if I should keep the thing for now.

• Administrators

I agree that the lack of specs is a bit worrying. Can we have a wee bit more info on the thing?

Is the diopter now replacing the macro focus switch we'd read about on prototype units? Which lens coating (if any) did they opt for?

Just need to know if it's worth listing my LA7200 on eBay or if I should keep the thing for now.

It is much sharper at the edges than the LA7200. The flare is no accident, it is designed with filmmaker input. The adapter is smaller and lighter, and has a built in close focus ring. The optical design is newer and is designed for large sensor sizes, with the 50mm rear element.

The LA7200 is a old 90's adapter for the DVX100, designed for a small sensor. It is OK at F4 or F5.6 on a 14mm lens with Micro Four Thirds sensor. The SLR Magic by contrast is sharp at F2 and F2.8 on a 35mm, with a shallower depth of field especially at closer focus distances. The LA7200 has a large front element, almost impossible to fit a diopter over. The SLR Magic has a standard circular front element which is the right size for a screw on diopter, and SLR Magic have developed their own to suit it. From the diopter to the rear element of the prime they are designed to work together.

• Administrators

C'mon Andrew; your'e sitting on a mountain of choice glass which no doubt includes the aforementioned lens range and it did not cross your mind to see how this thing performed with them. What kind of review is that?

You got me thinking that you may have sold yourself cheap for the price of a pizza  :rolleyes:

Asking folks to spend $799 or more without an option for a refund is illegal business practice in the European Community, as it contravenes distance selling regulations, inciting folks to do it is an entirely different ball game (cf bollocks!)

So what is the answer to my question - let me guess - B-L-U-R ?

With the vested interests you have in impractical projector lenses, I can hardly take a word you say seriously about this.