Panasonic: Consumer market will lead on 4K

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/74624976[/media]

Above: Nino Leitner interviews Panasonic at IBC 2013

I have been given some exciting information about the future of the GH-line. But I can't say anything about it yet. Stay tuned to 43rumors in 2-3 weeks time.

Needless to say the consumer division of Panasonic are turning their attention to 4K in a big way.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11189/panasonic-consumer-market-will-lead-4k]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Not sure if the interview revelations are related to the " future of the GH-line" as the text of the Panasonic person's message is "The consumer has to lead" relates to the delivery of 4K at Broadcast not of consumer cameras capturing in 4K. Did I get that correctly?
A second point not conveyed by the interviewee is that we (the shooters) deem 4K the ideal capture format for 2K delivery since we are taking advantage of oversampling , crop capability and archive value of 4K, unrelated to the lack of installed 4K TVs.
The line about the AVC Ultra as being the favored codec in the roadmap is very encouraging but I'll ask the obvious question. How does this decision impact the current NLE hardware/software setups that are in place by those editing in REDCODE, Prores etc?
- I sure hope HW/SW revamps are not going to be necessary.
So I hope the " future of the GH-line" has something to do with all this since the interview seems directed more to Professional Broadcast vs Consumer Netcast customers.

Sony is pushing 4k pretty hard, meaning the statements they've made regarding it and their 4k television. I would put money on the next generation of Sony cameras will shoot 4k (end of Oct there should be an announcement for NEX FF, possible their other cameras too accoring to SAR).

Just for reference, the italian BBC1, RAI1 is actually broadcasting in SD 4:3. Digital terrestrial TV, is horribly implemented and you more often that not get glitchy videoart instead of your favourite program. We haven't even Full HD working for all of us and now they want 4K 120fps..... I hope the next Mac Pro is not THAT expensive!

They want to sell what they can develop relatively easily, CODECs and chips, instead of what really diminishes the quality of most video, from production to display--low dynamic range and as NTSC used to be mocked as, "Never The Same Color" twice.  That said, I doubt consumer video will change much, in that regard.  Data requirements just too high.  What Panasonic could do is allow Vitaliy to hack the GH line into producing RAW video.  Doubt that would ever be a press release though!

Its about bloody time we heard something from the very quiet people at Panasonic. The GH3 is excellent, yet there has been no update whatsoever on the video camera front. I was hoping for a much more compact FS700 destroyer from them as they are the only other company (like Sony)  to bother with higher frame rates at the GH price point. 

I'm hoping to see a GH4 develop into a top professional video hybrid with 120fps 1080p, more Mbps, increased DR and better low light. Hoping they add this and more. 

Hopefully, we can expect a nice surprise!

Here we go again! The labs are telling us we do and don't like!

I remember this before with stereoscopic 3D. Cos everyone's got a 3D TV now haven't they. :huh: :blink:  And everyone loved how high frame rates made the hobbit look cheap... 

*facepalm*

Ah, well that movie was already cheapy to begin with, no?
They could only do a third of the story  :rolleyes:

Full HD TVs are finally mainstream with the last couple of years and yet so little is indeed broadcasted at 1080, or typical upscaling from 720. Much of the television here in Japan is like that and NHK, who pride themselves with their "Hi-Vision" cameras and beautiful footage haven't been broadcasting beyond 720 for years. So really, current viewing resolution is high enough for the majority, there's just no demand for what no one sees the need for. But people do like the high frame rate stuff, the super refresh rate screens that do such amazing wonders as make sports events feel clinically sharp and even ruin cinema by making a blockbuster look as though it were a budget drama. 
Those high refresh rate screens are unbearable to watch, but it does look a lot more crisp, and that's what people are apparently wanting.

Panasonic was first cheap large sensor video camera with AF100, but then they went out of radar. I blame it on M4/3 vs super 35mm confusion in Panasonic rank. The bigger  super 35mm sensor isn't compatible with 4/3, so there was probably some confusion/indecision. 

Now finally it appears they gave up the idea of 4/3 for professional video cameras and are switching to super 35mm with probably PL mount or something. 

Meanwhile by the  next october 2014 when the camera is shipping, C300 would be 3 years old. F5/F55 would be 2 years old. Arri Amira would be a new kid in the block, 6 months old.  I doubt Panasonic is getting that market back easy. 

I use my GH3 all the time.  But I have GH2's so I'm used to the interface.  I think the GH3 is much easier to use and setup.  And no worries about hacks, freezes or crashes!  I love my GH3!  I just wish it was 10-12bit recording or had RAW.  But the 60P for slow motion is just awesome, I really love this little camera.