Panasonic G6 or GH3 for film look after grading?

midloch

Hi all,

I am between Panasonic G6 and GH3 , my lenses: Canon FD 50mm 1,8, Canon FD 85MM 1,8, Panasonic 25mm F 1,4. I know the differences between G6 and GH3 but for film look video is there really so big difference when grading filmed material in terms of higher bitrate of GH3? Do you notice anything significant in two the same graded videos one from G6 and one from GH3? And last question is the difference so big that it worth the extra money for GH3 body?

I grade video manually in Sony Vegas.

Thank you all for your replies!!! :-)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

the G6 is just absolutely fantastic. if the GH3 doesnt have any features that you definitely need, i recommend buying a G6. you get more features for a lot less money.

concerning the bitrate. i wouldn't use a higher bitrate on the G6 even if it had the option (at least for 24p and 25p). im not a big fan of bitrates higher than 50MBit, the differences are just so very little and not even visible in most shots. if youre a pixel peeper and plan a documentary on water surfaces, i might recommend the GH3 since there might be a very little appearence of macro blocking when you have A LOT of movement in a shot. but in a real world example the G6s nitrate is definately high enough. its also great at higher ISOs. hell, the GH2 had visible noise at ISO160 whereas the G6 looks still ok at ISO3200!

the G6s footage is also very gradable. if you dont under or over expose by a long shot, youre good to go. but im the kinda person that also believes that uncompressed recordings are just absoluety rediculous if you do a good job as a dop.

the only thing i can complain about is that the AWB in video mode doesnt seem to do a good job. at least in my case. outside shots look a little to cold, whereas inside lit scenarios sometimes appear too yellow. i dont have a lot of footage to back up my complains, i just noted it during my last project.

No, the GH3 is not worth the extra money, if you ask me. the G6 is even better in some cases, for example focus peaking. one thing i expected the G series to be worse at is the button lay out. but you can customize 7 Fn buttons on the G6, its just great.

Thank you very much for your reply! It really helped me to make decision. 3 days ago I bought SD card Sony 94Mbps went to local Panasonic store and tried to shoot some footage from both GH3 (50MBps) and G6 (24MBps AVCHD). After I made some grading in Sony Vegas and projected on my 165cm plasma TV Pananasonic TX -P65VT60. The difference is hardly noticable, I saw better edges of leafs on trees that was in longer distance from the shooting point but as you write it is not what worth so much extra money. For me it is better to invest the spare money to better lenses as Panasonic 25mm F 1,4 because the body will be outdated in 2 years but the lens will keep it's value much longer. As I shoot documentaries in remote areas with no acces to elektricity it is one the most important things the battery life. I know that battery life of GH3 is outstanding but I read that G6 could be better, I wonder how much time the battery keeps running in G6 if shooting 50% EVF and 50% LCD?

Thanx for reply!

GH3 offers twice the recording time over G6, so 1 battery in GH3 last like 2 batteries in G6

In that case the GH3 battery life must be industry leading as I just tested recording time on my G6 & it filled a 32GB card with over 2.5 hours of footage & still there was battery life left. Are you claiming that the GH3 battery will last over 5 hours?

BTW I tested a cheap clone battery & it was only good for less than 90 minutes so while at 1/3 of the price of a genuine Panasonic battery it's better value for money per minute it does mean that it's less convenient as you need twice as many batteries.