New iPhone 5S at a glance - iSight camera gets 120fps slow-mo

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
iPhone 5S camera

Picture credit - The Verge live coverage

Here's the new iPhone 5S at a glance so far...

• 15% larger CMOS sensor

• 10fps burst mode at full resolution

• 720/120fps slow-mo video

• 28MP panorama

• Auto image stabilisation picks sharpest shot out of 5

• Dedicated camera button

• New F2.2 lens with 5 elements

• TrueTone flash uses LED with variable kelvin temperature to match subject, gives better skin tones

• First ever smart-phone with 64bit processor, the Apple A7

• 2x faster CPU than iPhone 5, 40x faster than original iPhone

• 5x faster graphics than iPhone 5, 56x faster than original iPhone

• Dedicated co-processor for motion, the M7. Motion analytics able to determine if you are walking, driving, sitting still

• Touch ID finger print scanner based touch security

Full details, opinion and analysis to follow...[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11122/new-iphone-5s-at-a-glance-isight-camera-gets-120fps-slow-mo]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The phone has two "new" NSA features the motion sensing and finger print reader. Even tho those features can be used to benefit the user as well. The sensor size is a needed improvement even tho a modest one. 8 Mpix is plenty enough.

The pureview camera in the Nokia 808 will likely still be the absolute king in image quality even tho processing might pull the image quality above it in special situations from the Nokia 1020.

Then again Nokia phones are no longer owned by Nokia so I will never buy one again. I'm from Finland and I certainly dont take it lightly when it comes to Microsoft phones and Elop the MS agent.  This iphone 5s might be my next phone.

That would be my first proper smart phone. ;)

One of the slides makes out the + key to be a dedicated shutter button, different in appearance to the existing + key. That isn't actually the case, and have corrected it in the article bullet points.

You can use any of the volume keys as a shutter button on any iPhone, many people don't know that! :)

screen size being what it is, the 5s has a retina display, so, the Galaxy's more highly "resolved' screen doesn't mean much does it? or am I not seeing something? 

Also, again, just as there is no need for 4k on a smartphone whose lens can be manufactured in under 60 seconds, there is no need for massive Megapixel count on that same camera/phone. what's the point? Also, it's been seen quite a bit that megapixels are a bit meaningless if they are smaller.  a larger micron measurement typically does mean a better looking photo, even if it won't stand up to being blown up the size of a movie poster like a 41mp photo would, i've seen pics from the pureview and on my computer screen I truly do not see what is so very remarkabable about them.  In fact, they seem to me to be visually disappointing, though, technically, very sharp

Front facing camera could use some work, yes, but I'm sure that's to do with the fact that trying to process that much data for a facetime call over a cell network (which is what that camera's function is for) isn't going to happen. It would require either a) a lot of bandwidth which = a lot of data, which people are unwilling to pay more for at this point, or, b.) more processing of the photo to where it could be reduced from, let's say 8MP, to an image that is carrier-friendly, at which point, why bother when you can solve that at the sensor level and not put more cost into processors? 

That being said, having the higher end camera there so that, when on WiFi, you could have sharper facetime/skype/etc.. is a debatable matter but still, at that point, it's kind of picking at details and hypotheticals that are, in everyday use, rare

I wonder who did the coloring of Apple's new ads. All the segments with the Apple representants (Jonathan Ive, Dan Riccio etc.) has horrible skin color:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utUPth77L_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJkmc8-eyvE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK0_OVn_uxA

Also, their eyeballs don't look white, but rather yellow/brown.

I wonder who did the coloring of Apple's new ads. All the segments with the Apple representants (Jonathan Ive, Dan Riccio etc.) has horrible skin color:

Oh man, too much Magenta maybe? The hair looks like there's tinting as well. And the lighting on them is a little flat... I thought Apple, with the history of Final Cut and Color would be more conscious about that.... oh right, this is for the iPhone 5c, c for cheap, and thus the commercial for it doesn't deserve as much work. Cinematography for the phones are good though

Oh man, too much Magenta maybe? The hair looks like there's tinting as well. And the lighting on them is a little flat... I thought Apple, with the history of Final Cut and Color would be more conscious about that.... oh right, this is for the iPhone 5c, c for cheap, and thus the commercial for it doesn't deserve as much work. Cinematography for the phones are good though

Yes. I was also surprised to see Apple put out videos with such color, since color and design has been such a major thing for them. In the past, they have taken great care about the looks of their marketing material. Also note all shots that show lips and tongue, how little red there are in those. I really wonder how this slipped through.