Cinema DNG support coming to Adobe Premiere CC in October

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Adobe Cinema DNG - Premiere CC - 5D Mark III Magic Lantern raw

Above: the Canon 5D Mark III with Magic Lantern raw video recording. Check out the EOSHD book here

Due to demand Adobe are finally putting Cinema DNG support back into Premiere. What's more it is a fully featured implementation with realtime playback like Resolve and GPU accelerated debayering. Adobe's existing debayer of Cinema DNG gives the best image quality out there so I have high hopes for Premiere come October.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11112/cinema-dng-support-coming-to-adobe-premiere-cc-in-october]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Brings to light another virtue of Adobe cloud. You get great updates as soon as they are stable, and you don't have to wait until it makes economic sense for the company to put it into an official release.

I think the update does maybe show the virtue of Adobe's team pulling together to focus on CC, or at least a big push on to establish Cloud.

Let's hope After Effects gets a similar update for better Cinema DNG support, as at the moment I have to delete the WAV file (from Blackmagic) and other metadata files (LUTs on KineRAW MINI for example).

Let's hope After Effects gets a similar update for better Cinema DNG support, as at the moment I have to delete the WAV file (from Blackmagic) and other metadata files (LUTs on KineRAW MINI for example).

After Effects should automatically benefit from the improved Cinema DNG support since it's built right into the lower-level Mercury playback engine on which both Premiere and AE are based (and, with the update, Speedgrade, too).

I just wonder how much CPU & GPU power you'll really need for having full-blown Cinema DNG in your timeline. "Real-time playback", as promised by Adobe, is relative and might only be true for one or two tracks of ungraded footage, even on a comparably powerful system... (In that respect, wavelet-based raw codecs such as RED Raw and Cineform Raw offer huge advantages because they can be played back at lower quality/decoding depth without separate proxy files.)

I'm very happy that they will support DNG and especially for my needs, Sony Raw, since the F55, is the new Alexa at half the price and 1/3 the rental price per day.

I guess a Nvidia Titan is the optimal solution for raw playback in real time at 24fps.

Or eventually, if it works with the mercury engine, 2 of gtx 670 cards used in SLI configuration.

I think the update does maybe show the virtue of Adobe's team pulling together to focus on CC, or at least a big push on to establish Cloud.

I think the Adobe package is the over all best solution for most productions needs. It is affordable and offers a lot of powerful tools with an easy learning curve. As david fincher once said about it: It  just works, it is a no brainer.

So what happens for the rest of us who have the CS6 installation on our local computers? Will we ever see an update? Is CS6 support being discontinued in favour of CC? Seems like a bit of a rip off for us who purchased CS6 only last year.

Imagine it's called CS 6.5 and you need to spend a lot to get the upgrade.

So what happens for the rest of us who have the CS6 installation on our local computers? Will we ever see an update? Is CS6 support being discontinued in favour of CC? Seems like a bit of a rip off for us who purchased CS6 only last year.

The upgrade to a CC sub is very cheap if you have a CS6 licence. I pay about £17/month. CS6 is part of the sub as there is no other way to get Encore except with Premiere Pro CS6 so Adobe continue to support & provide bug fixes for CS6.

The upgrade to a CC sub is very cheap if you have a CS6 licence. I pay about £17/month. CS6 is part of the sub as there is no other way to get Encore except with Premiere Pro CS6 so Adobe continue to support & provide bug fixes for CS6.

Thanks, that is very helpful. This seems to suggest that PP CS6 will get the CinemaDNG updates as well at some point.