The Defy G5 or the Movi M5?

beppy

Defy G5 - $3200.00

Movi M5 - $4,995

Both seem almost the same.  The G5 has the more attractive price point but Freefly were the innovators and may have the superior product.

Which if any of these or others are you guys getting?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I haven't seen any footage from M5 yet, but the G5 footage actually has some jerky movements I didn't like. Waiting to see m5 demos to decide.

Yeah I saw that.

The M10 looked almost flawless but do you think their operators are just better or it's the product?

I think it's the product, MOVI guys had a lot more time to fune-tune their stuff. I only really need a smooth forward dolly movement, not planning any crazy pans and turns, so the DEFY rig might still work for my film needs, but I want to see MOVI M5 footage before making a decision.

I get the impression that Defy still has some serious quirks to work out with their G5.  Which is too bad - as a yank myself, I'd like to root for them to succeed, and keep my money here in the US.  But the ONE video they've put out so far (over a month ago) has some very troubling shake going on at several points (as MTheory mentions above). They ignore every question posed to them about that (as well as questions about the 1% post stabilization). 

The G5 is open for pre-orders, but based on what?  A spec list, a CG render of how it'll look and ONE demo video.  Anyone who preorders it at this point is nuts IMHO.

Of course, they keep releasing more videos around the G2... most with it sporting a BMPCC, a camera which isn't even out yet (at least to general public).  On what planet does that make sense, if you're trying to also tap into the DSLR crowd with a larger model?  Either the G5 isn't performing well, so additional demo footage would only make them look bad - or they need to fire whoever is in charge of marketing, because frankly BeSteady is KILLING THEM as far as marketing communication.