Raw video on the Canon 7D - Super 35mm raw for under $1000

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/72605257[/media]

Magic Lantern's raw recording module for the 7D is a perfect illustration of why colour depth and dynamic range are more important than resolution.

It's also a huge step up for Canon APS-C video shooters and free.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11017/raw-video-on-the-canon-7d-super-35mm-raw-for-under-1000]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Really nice footage!

I'm with you on the movie mode & never going back to H264.

It really does seem strange that none of the big firms have stepped up to produce something better & cheaper. If they are worried about their more expensive products, they shouldn't be, as pros will always buy stuff aimed at them & beginners/enthusiasts will go for the cheaper stuff to start off with. But this doesn't mean they can't give us something decent - hopefully the BM Pocket will shake stuff up just a tiny bit.  

If it wasn't clear already, I think the rapid progress with the 7D makes it clear that ML is getting backroom help from Canon. This looks great. It's pretty crazy that ALL of the Canon DSLRs have gotten a huge upgrade virtually overnight.

And nice shooting EOSHD, love the shots on the elevator.

"I can never go back to an 8bit compressed H.264 based codec, especially not an implementation as bad as we find on most current DSLRs."

Wait, does this mean I should disregard your recent, glowing review of the G6 or stop reading your GH2 shooters guide I bought recently?

Also, obviously the 50D can't record audio (no mic)- do we think the 7D will ever be able to record an audio track while capturing raw? Can the Mark III do that?

That was one thing that had me bummed on my 50D and why I let it go; obviously not expecting to use it as my main audio, but a scratch track for syncing would be nice.

"I can never go back to an 8bit compressed H.264 based codec, especially not an implementation as bad as we find on most current DSLRs."

Wait, does this mean I should disregard your recent, glowing review of the G6 or stop reading your GH2 shooters guide I bought recently?

I think the G6/GH2 don't fall under the 'not an implementation as bad as we find on most current DSLRs' category :)

So the G6 & GH2 are DSLR's?   Interesting,, interesting,, no wait,, that other thing,,,, complete crap..

Really love this little edit ! Like the transitions in movement and the quality of the footage.

Just few questions in relation to the above quote :

- How long did this edit take to you in comparaison with a "standard" edit ?

- Does the hard/long workflow of RAW shooting is profitable ?

No sound, no possibility to synchronise... I think it's smell good for future but in my opinion, the standard DSLR have still good days.

We work with a 5D mk II and make some institutional works (not funny...) and all clients are very impressed by the quality of the videos. So more quality is always good but for "humans", it's already very good.

Thx

So the G6 & GH2 are DSLR's? Interesting,, interesting,, no wait,, that other thing,,,, complete crap..

In the context of what we are talking about, which is "8bit compressed H.264 codec'-based cameras, then yes, the GH2 and G6 fall into the same category as most DSLRs. Call them whatever the hell you want, these two cameras absolutely are the kinds of cameras Andrew is talking about.
Or at least they could be. I believe Julian when he says they're not.
At least he's not a smartass about it.

> The image responds beautifully and you can take it much closer to what your minds-eye and imagination expects from it

In my experience, RAW video is more natural, real.  It doesn't speak to your imagination, it speaks to your memory.  This is why so many people aren't jumping into RAW.  H.264 is a very nice, sharp and colorful image.  It's like sugar.  Who doesn't love sugar?  But I feel if anyone had a video of them shot for posterity, for their grand-children, and they had the choice between high resolution H.264 and lower resolution RAW they would go for the latter.  It would look like them.  It would capture their skin tones, the lighting.  The mood.

You have to work with both kinds of footage to see that realism.  Yes, if you're shooting a party, or need to work quickly, the Panasonic G-series cameras are fantastic.  They are very, very good at what they do.  But if you want 30 seconds of the most natural looking footage you can get, only RAW will get you there.  The guy above, selling his 7D.  He might want to look at this video first (not by me):

https://vimeo.com/72631568

If that video was shot in H.264, it would have high contrast, many shadows black, and the brightness would look like it was shot in a sunnier day than it actually was.