DSLR or Camcorder?

JackHorror

Hallo there!

Next month i am going to buy a dslr or a camcorder...

And i need help, to decide what to buy...

Well, i saw a lot of dslr video tests on youtube, most videos where fine when the dslr's where still, but when they were "in action"  video was kind of (i dont know how to explain that, lets say wobbling/distorted they didn't had that "smooth" on video), was that because of bad settings? I don't know you will tell me!

On the other hand the camcorders, didn't had that kind of problem..

I like a lot the mirrorless Panasonic GH3, but i saw "that problem" in video tests too...Is there anyone using the GH3? I need your opinion too!

My budget is up to 1800€, maybe more....

I need help!

Thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

DSLRs have a larger sensor, which means shallower depth of field, and more control of depth of field, but you'll have to invest in lenses. They are usually (but not always) better than similarly priced camcorders in low light situations.

Camcorders tend to have everything in focus because of the small sensor. A benefit is that they usually don't suffer from such severe 'rolling shutter' problems. This is what causes the distortion and wobbly look you saw in the videos. Rolling shutter is where the shutter exposes a little bit of the frame at a time, rather than exposing the entire frame at once. Therefore, in each frame of video the top half of the image was exposed at a slightly different time as the bottom half of the image, creating skewing or wobbling artefacts.

I have a GH3. It's one of the best DSLR/mirrorless cameras for rolling shutter, but it's still an issue. All in all though, I think it's a pretty great camera.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Chrad! :)

There no hacks for gh3 right?

I am watching now GH2 (hacked) videos, Panasonic Gh2 hack 244 mb/s & Panasonic GH2 Driftwood 176Mbps

and they look good...

Well, i need a camera without 'rolling shutter' problems but i still dont know what to buy...

As far as I know, there are no DSLR / mirrorless cameras without rolling shutter. If you need that in your budget, a 3ccd camcorder will be your best option. CCD sensors don't have rolling shutter. CMOS sensors can be made without rolling shutter, but the only cameras that have those sensors cost a lot more.

Make sure to use a lens with Image Stabilization if you're going handheld. Otherwise it will looks a total mess, like what you described with the wobbling. If you're using prime lenses with a tripod or shoulder rig then you should be fine. I agree though: the jittering and wobbling of DSLR is an instant turn off.

I found some test between cmos & 3ccd on youtube.

There is no way to reduce that somehow on dslr?

Even if a camera get hacked, it won't change that, right?

Should i buy a 3ccd? DSLR camera (like 5D3)? Mirrorlesss (Gh3)? Or Black Magic Camera?

As Chrad said, i dont want that 'rolling shutter' problems...

I really need your help guys!

I found some test between cmos & 3ccd on youtube.

There is no way to reduce that somehow on dslr?

Even if a camera get hacked, it won't change that, right?

Should i buy a 3ccd? DSLR camera (like 5D3)? Mirrorlesss (Gh3)? Or Black Magic Camera?

As Chrad said, i dont want that 'rolling shutter' problems...

I really need your help guys!

Rolling shutter can't be reduced by hacking. It's dependent on how the sensor is read (line by line). The only way to avoid it is to read out the whole sensor at once, like on the black magic production cinema camera or sony f55 cameras with global shutter CMOS sensors - or to use a CCD sensor-based camera.

The amount of rolling shutter is different on different DSLR's though, some have more, some have less, depending on how fast the sensor is read.

You can minimize rolling shutter in a lot of the footage by stabilising your camera and avoid really fast pans with camera, but a car passing by at high speed will still get skewed, even if camera is on a tripod. To some amount, you can also decrease it in post. I believe there are tools to do this for After Effects and similar softwares - but I haven't tried those.

Quite a lot of people who test cameras for video test how much rolling shutter they have, like Andrew on EOSHD. Check his tests of 5dmk3, GH3 etc to see how much rolling shutter there is when panning the cameras. If a bit of rolling shutter is too much for you - then a CCD camcorder is the only choice for your budget. If you find other advantages that suits you better with DSLR's or mirrorless cameras and can live with a bit of rolling shutter - then you should certainly consider GH3, 5dmk3 and other dslr/mirrorless alternatives.

Depends what you are planning to use it for. My preference would be DSLR for reasons to numerous to list.

A hacked GH2 is a good dslr to start out on, and would leave plenty of money in your budget for a few lenses and accessories.

Bad lighting, crap sound, lack of stabilization will destroy your production values far more than rolling shutter. Rolling shutting I have not really had huge issues with personally, i've even done swish pans on the GH2.. just have to use rolling shutter correction in post in severe circumstances, worked well for me although im sure it has it's limitations.  

dude i had the same dilemma

, I had a vx2000 ccd camera the old school sweet pro-ish camera forever and i wasn't sure if a dslr or dslm is the way to go agianst a camcorder, I did alot of research including coming to this site and other sites and let me tell you man unless your thinking of spending several thousand dollars on a camcorder witch now don't come with lenses anyways in most cases, you better off witha dslr/m I got gh3 and i so far just been filming skating were I have it on a handle and film runs or gaps and i have not have much problem with rolling shutter.  the quality is just amazing and if it ever gets hacket it would even more so, but its worth it as is, its just so nice, i have not even discovered the whole camera 100 percent yet and i am completly satisfied.   Plus if you buy it from a good site like B and H or even Best Buy if you don't like it, you can return it no problem, that goes with whatever you decide to get, I think as what i been told it all depends on what your planning to film and how much are you willing to spend.

thank you guys for your help!

i was searching/watching ccd cameras tests whole day, + i dont like minidv's.

i believe i will buy that GH3, but still i'm not shure... i don't mind paying a little bit more if there is something better.

i will do more research..