Canon 5D Mark III raw video crop mode performance

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
5dguide1

Crop mode is covered in my 106 page EOSHD 5D Mark III Raw Shooter's Guide on 5D Mark III raw video here

Above - EOSHD "raw rig" above is comprised of the Lanparte BMCC cage with 5D Mark III and LanParte follow focus / carbon matte box from HDVideoShop

Slashcam and I set out to test the 5D Mark III's crop mode as precisely as possible using a chart - it is possible thanks to 100% accurate framing in crop mode with the black & white Magic Lantern live-view preview mode. Further optimisations to the buffer handling by Alex at Magic Lantern aims to make higher resolutions such as 2560 x 960 at 98MB/s sustainable for longer or even continuous.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10672/canon-5d-mark-iii-raw-video-crop-mode-performance]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Another very interesting read Andrew, the crop modes are very useful to have for different jobs

I cant wait for your 50d write up too

Julian has been working hard on the 50D and has had some very good results with it

For the price and the sensor it has the 50D to me looks like a stunningly cheap option for RAW

Hi,

this is my first post, I'm a long time reader of this great blog. All this raw developement is great, as a 5D m2 owner I'm surpised about the things the 50d does in the meantime. How is it possible the mark2 doesn't have the same raw-capabilities? Can we expect some progress in the near future?  What are the options on the 5dmark2, same crop options like the 50d even better raw video? Where is the 5dm2 going in the near future, what are the limits compared to the 50d? Thanks to everybody for all the informationes in the last years.

When you say you can get 1920 on the 50D in crop mode, do you mean 1920x1080?  If so, what build are you using?  The max I've been able to get is 1920x818 continuous at 23.976fps (exact).  I'm currently using the June 21st nightly build.  The card is a Komputer Bay 64gb 1000x that delivers 1920x1200 continuous on my 5DM3.

Thanks.

• Administrators

Hi,

this is my first post, I'm a long time reader of this great blog. All this raw developement is great, as a 5D m2 owner I'm surpised about the things the 50d does in the meantime. How is it possible the mark2 doesn't have the same raw-capabilities? Can we expect some progress in the near future?  What are the options on the 5dmark2, same crop options like the 50d even better raw video? Where is the 5dm2 going in the near future, what are the limits compared to the 50d? Thanks to everybody for all the informationes in the last years.

I've not really been keeping up to date with the 5D2 as I don't have one to test with my own two hands yet.

In my view, it has so many issues with raw that the 5D3 is well worth spending extra on if you are serious about shooting raw.

Existing 5D2 owners should know if they're going to use raw in anger or not… So if you like it and can afford the extra, my advice is to trade it in and get the 5D3, absolutely a no brainer.

5D3 RAW crop mode clearly has false-color alias artifacting (a typical problem for any native res implementation, it was true on the 600D's 3x zoom feature for instance), you just repositioned the camera for the larger crop modes. A converging lines target would have shown that the artifacting remains for a given resolution, the concentric lines target just got enough space between the lines to not artifact when you dollied in.

The 1DC is oddly gray in this test (overexposure? uncorrected log gamma?) but shows no false-color aliasing which is a point in its favor.

After seeing the artifacting I never used digital zoom on the 600D and I doubt I'd use it on the 5D3 but there's always that rare opportunity it comes in handy. The clean HDMI video for the 5D3 showed you can also use digital zoom with the Ninja 2 on the 5D3 if anyone is interested in that option. It's going to look a bit different cross-cut with the unzoomed footage, more different than a decent telephoto lens but less different than another camera system entirely.

I still hold out hope ML is going to be able to do MJPEG on the 5D3. Which will open up much higher resolutions and possibly even framerates. Yes I am acutely aware they couldn't get H.264 to work at HFR...MJPEG is NOT H.264. If you do the math on how many pixels the stock 5D3 can throughput on JPEG compression they should have plenty enough power on tap.

• Administrators

The 5D3 uses dedicated chips for various tasks. H.264 has a dedicated chip. ML runs on the general purpose CPU, and that isn't as fast as the more modern kind you'd find in a GH3 or smartphone.

Canon are using old architecture and off the shelf chips. HDMI for instance, also has it's own chip.

These chips only do one thing and can't be programmed by Magic Lantern if they don't support the instruction.

So don't hold out for MJPEG. Unlikely to happen.

The 5D3 has the onboard capacity to JPEG compress 22.3 Megapixel images over six times per second and write that data continuously to a CF card (even an SD card). This would suggest it also has the capacity to JPEG compress 2MP images over 60 times per second. 

I know you disagree with that mathematical argument, but I've seen no credible basis for declaring it impossible. I should sign up to the ML forum and ask them directly but I figured they're already busy with RAW so I'll let that get done and then ask for 4K/HFR MJPEG.

I do think it's possible and even likely. They had been insisting that people not beg for RAW video and then they went and did it. They may not want to get Canon mad at them because it would essentially negate the 1DC. So maybe someone else has to take their open source code and get it done unaffiliated.

MJPEG is essentially JPEG per frame. JPEG uses a fixed 8x8 DCT which has been highly optimized (along with fast/simple quantization and additional steps for final compression output). So MJPEG might be possible on ARM. The bigger problem is high-quality de-Bayering. Even Resolve 9 doesn't do a very good job compared to ACR.

The de-bayer task is implicit in the 22MP JPEG stills process.

The key limiter I think is what ML has access to in the buffers, and at what frame rate. They only just discovered they had RGGB access in those buffers, leading to raw_rec. 30fps full-res 4K or 5K MJPEG seems well within the realm of possibility to me, as does 60fps 1080p MJPEG.