JVC launch a 4K camera with Nikon mount which gets almost everything wrong

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
JVC 4K Nikon mount camera

JVC have launched a "large sensor 4K" camera with Nikon mount.

We saw a prototype of this camera a long time ago, reported here on EOSHD one and half years ago, the form factor and specs of the final model are remarkably similar to the prototype.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10602/jvc-launch-a-4k-camera-with-nikon-mount-which-gets-almost-everything-wrong]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It looks and sounds like an aprils fool's joke...

Why on earth that Nikon F mount? Useless gap between the mount and the sensor. How about Sony E mount.. it's an open standard... then at least you could adapt anything you wanted, put a speedbooster on it etc...

Please let this die a quick death.  Nikon fans on NikonRumors are calling it a triumph for the native lens mount, but every spec on this camera is an insult to the end user.  If one needs an ENG style camcorder body with an interchangeable mount, the Sony EA50 looks much more compelling for much less money (albiet only 1080p).

If it were an 'electronic' Nikon F mount... but noo, it's dumb and that's something an EF mount via adapter could replicate. 
And what's the FPS, lemme guess, limited to 30P right? Maybe not, but oh man this is actually more of a flop from start camera than that uber slow lens Leica, because the Leica may actually sell a few units because there are people that will just do that, this camera?? Maybe, just maybe a rental company or two... obligation or contract, dunno, but someone might just find an application for all the backwards specs on this JVC

Oh yeah, and speaking of ND filters why are they so scarce with so many cameras? The Fuji X100 has a built in ND, and I don't suppose many users take advantage of that, or even know about it to begin with. And here, another day and another VIDEO camera that doesn't have any built in... watching advertisements though like from McDees I guess shutter speed is overrated now anyways, those super high refresh rate TVs smooth out all the motion anyways

Please let this die a quick death.  Nikon fans on NikonRumors are calling it a triumph for the native lens mount, but every spec on this camera is an insult to the end user.  If one needs an ENG style camcorder body with an interchangeable mount, the Sony EA50 looks much more compelling for much less money (albiet only 1080p).

Long time lurker here but wanted to say, nikon rumors deletes almost anything not praising the company. As a nikon shooter myself, I think most people are looking at this thing scratching their heads going huh?

Funny, they take off the fixed lens, add a dumb mount, then triple the price.  It does 60p, but that's all you can really say positively about this cam.  You could have a loaded Scarlet for that, or a useable used Epic for just a few grand more.  Or a loaded F700, or even an F5 for just a touch more.  Or, a base Scarlet and a Black Magic.  Or two Black Magics, and a Mac Pro.  JVC, wow! 

• Administrators

Long time lurker here but wanted to say, nikon rumors deletes almost anything not praising the company. As a nikon shooter myself, I think most people are looking at this thing scratching their heads going huh?

It's a camera that has little to do with Nikon really. It's got an F mount. That's about the only link. It's a JVC video camera. I don't know why people who read Nikon rumours are even discussing it.

It's a camera that has little to do with Nikon really. It's got an F mount. That's about the only link. It's a JVC video camera. I don't know why people who read Nikon rumours are even discussing it.

i guess it sums up Nikon fans feeling left out of the exciting times we are living with video.

No disputing Nikon's a leader in the SLR market--however, Nikon fans should understand it's still a much smaller company in revenue and lack the product portfolio of most of its larger corporate competitors. 

A product failure for Nikon would be much more severe than Canon or Sony. They must tread a very careful course.. ie Mirrorless, point and shoot, etc. 

Going down the video path requires heavy R&D and years of financial losses.. they're better off playing it safe by not playing a terrible hand with a poor video strategy now. For those impatient with Nikon find solace that it wasn't Nikon that released this horrible POS JVC cam. 

And besides Nikon glass is excellent and is adaptable to other systems.. ie GH2

Going down the video path requires heavy R&D and years of financial losses..

Does it?  I read on this very blog a few days ago that some random guy in Germany had developed a raw-capable video camera all by himself in just six months.  

Great article Andrew.  JVC is indicative of the ailing giants of the electronics industry -

- Creating products that are not just mediocre, but like this one: totally wrong by design, oblivious to the market it is launching into.

- Creating products that ignore new technologies and specifications and instead resort to ridiculous work-arounds like in this case recording to 4 separate SD cards and outputting video over 4 HDMI cables.  

- Releasing said products at astronomical prices, regardless of the competition, ignoring the massive advances in low power electronics we have seen in the last five years thanks to the huge market for smart phones and tablets.  

JVC are, unsurprisingly, doing rather badly economically.  And they have had an accounting scandal as well: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/05/jvc-idUSL3E8C5EOE20120105

The only thing we are missing is a link to organised crime, then we have the full set.

This is pretty tragic all round. It's almost like someone tried to make the wrong decision at every point.

Not that I would even get close to considering it and a piece of kit to use, but it completely discounts every single lens I own and even it didn't, the weird and tiny sensor would make them all  much longer.

This is actually amazingly poor...

People accept such a weird sensor size in the Black Magic because it offers something unique.