Canon Europe launches biggest ever Pan-EMEA campaign empowering consumers to take their ‘next step’ in imaging

Julian

Boring press release:

http://www.canon.co.uk/About_Us/Press_Centre/Press_Releases/Consumer_News/News/Power_to_your_next_step_campaign.aspx

It would be more appropriate if it was the other way around :)

Consumers launch biggest ever campaign empowering Canon to take their 'next step' in imaging

Or replace 'Consumers' with 'Magic Lantern'.

And yes, this is a pointless topic...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The campaign was driven by Canon’s understanding of its consumers’ imaging needs

Though not ours, obviously.

The campaign, the first from Canon to encompass all consumer and pro product categories

Aimed at pro product categories, based on an understanding of consumers imaging needs? Uh oh.

"We want to inspire and support everyone in taking their ‘next step’, whether it be in photography, shooting video or printing special moments."

Translation: "We want you to upgrade"

Consumer: "But our 550D's are the same as the 2013 models!"

Canon has a strong heritage of supporting users on their imaging journey

In all my time of running EOSHD for the past 3 years, not once has Canon helped me.

Video content sits at the core of the campaign

So not just a niche then.

If this last few weeks has shown anything, it is that indie filmmakers are very fickle. BM was toast of the town, now they hardly get a look in and i know plenty of people (myself included) who have cancelled their BMCC orders, while everyone jumps back in bed with Canon, the company that so many, on here, love to hate.

I'm sure we will all sell up and buy a Nikon, if they announced a 2K/60p raw upgrade too. It's just the nature of the indie crowd, and i'm not at all surprised that Canon, RED and a few others are now trying to distance themselves from it.

I think 'we', being those that visit great sites such as this one, are perhaps giving ourselves a false impression to how big certain markets are.

Just a cursory glance at the number of downloads the ML raw builds tells the tale of a few hundred at best.

Compared to the interest in these devices as photographic cameras rather than movie making machines, I think we are small fry.

Some are fickle, consumerism is like that. Some just wanted a product Canon wasn't providing like better than 8bit, for less than $15,000.

That is just your perceived value though, not Canons and not 99% of it's target market.

I ordered a 5Diii this very week.... Partly because i wanted to test the raw hack, but also safe in the knowledge that is was a tip top DSLR that would hold it's value and be a professional tool for a long, long time.

I think 'we', being those that visit great sites such as this one, are perhaps giving ourselves a false impression to how big certain markets are.

Just a cursory glance at the number of downloads the ML raw builds tells the tale of a few hundred at best.

Compared to the interest in these devices as photographic cameras rather than movie making machines, I think we are small fry.

It's not about how big this market is but how important it is on the internet. Most people browse the internet or ask the "nerd". 

So if you are trying to decide between d800 or a mk iii, you will get the impression that the 5d mk iii shoots the greatest video ever, even though you are never going to install ML nor use RAW. And of course,  canons are better for video than Nikons, every single one, that will be the understanding some profane will get. And since he also wants to shoot some video, why not go for Canon. 

I've been a Nikon shooter for a lot of years, and sometimes some guy who knows nothing sees my d800 and will come to me and ask "why Nikon?, they are all faulty and make horrible video", then he will show you proudly his 600d...

This is why you have to keep happy the freaks who like raw video and the maniatic depressive who check for hot pixels at iso 6400 and 30" sec exposure. Today the internet is the main source for information, but  the niche groups are who make the most noise.

I ordered a 5Diii this very week.... Partly because i wanted to test the raw hack, but also safe in the knowledge that is was a tip top DSLR that would hold it's value and be a professional tool for a long, long time.

I was really excited about the 5D3's RAW, especially at the $3,000 mark.... but I cannot get over the fact that on the "DSLR" side -- the photo side, it is not IMHO at the top of the game (NIKON D800).  The sensor IMHO is a really old sensor.

If it was the best in its market segment with respect to imaging, then I would have bought it a week ago.  But at this moment, there are just too many options in the horizons with much better workflow (I don't have after effects, I don't want to buy extra CF cards, I don't want to mess arround with alpha/beta firmware, etc -- I'm getting married in a couple of weeks :-). 

Besides, a game changing camera seems to be coming out every other month.  Because of these reasons I will wait... but the camera is tempting even though I really don't like Canon as a company.

If this last few weeks has shown anything, it is that indie filmmakers are very fickle. BM was toast of the town, now they hardly get a look in and i know plenty of people (myself included) who have cancelled their BMCC orders, while everyone jumps back in bed with Canon, the company that so many, on here, love to hate.

I'm sure we will all sell up and buy a Nikon, if they announced a 2K/60p raw upgrade too. It's just the nature of the indie crowd, and i'm not at all surprised that Canon, RED and a few others are now trying to distance themselves from it.

It's true, but it seems also a sensible thing to do to me. I'm not even an indy filmmaker, just an amateur, but I just want the best my money can buy. BM announces the Pocket... amazing! $1K raw video. Instant preorder (thats also about the max. I feel comfortable paying, for a hobby camera). I did cancel it a few days ago because now I have a 50D that shoots raw, for €300. I'll jump whichever boat that gives me the most for the least amount of money.

I actually do feel kinda uncomfortable being 'happy' with my Canon, as I really haven't been happy with their lack of innovation the past 5 years.

These kind of campaigns are completely understandable, it's just marketing, every company does it and I have nothing against it. I just thought this whole text and the title is pretty funny, seeing the recent developments.

It is definitely not a 'reaction' to the developments, this was obviously planned long time ago and Canon just has chosen to keep hanging on to old products. The fact that they are running this huge campaign for all the current products probably proofs that we won't be seeing anything new soon.

This might be a good sign... Hopefully Canon is just trying to squeeze every last drop out of their current technology cycle, but working behind the scenes at that real next step in imaging.

I'm really curious about what's happening behind the scenes about the 7D Mark II release. This camera was heavily rumoured to be announced this summer, but it seems they've decided to push it back. It has some serious hardware in it and they are probably deciding whether to 1) Cripple it against ML, 2) Release and let ML crack it and make it even more successfull or 3) Release their own video features.

With Blackmagic cameras around the corner, they really have no reason to hold back features for video.

I HIGHLY doubt Canon will be topping the image quality that the 5D3 ML raw provides in a camera under $12,000 during the next 3-4 years. I have a feeling they will offer 4K burst modes to record high resolution video for limited amounts of seconds with anything under the 1DC. Maybe they'll step up and actually try hard but when they release an 8-bit 1080P camera for 20 fucking grand, I'm not going to hold my breath.

but I cannot get over the fact that on the "DSLR" side -- the photo side, it is not IMHO at the top of the game (NIKON D800).  The sensor IMHO is a really old sensor.

I'm not gonna get into a Canon v Nikon debate.... But the idea that the 5Diii sensor is old and not top of it's game is, frankly, misinformed nonsense.

Yea, the Nikon's have better DR, but the Canon's hold better colour accuracy and preferable skin tones. But, more importantly to me, the Canon's lens choice is FAR better than Nikon.

I've never seen a benefit with Nikon SLR. The DR improvement is tiny, the pictures just seem a bit drab in comparison, and the number of megapixels they have now is a bit OTT I think...

The fact that the Canons do video too and can take ore lenses seals it for me...

I've never seen a benefit with Nikon SLR. The DR improvement is tiny, the pictures just seem a bit drab in comparison, and the number of megapixels they have now is a bit OTT I think...

The fact that the Canons do video too and can take ore lenses seals it for me...

Well when RAW video came out I was thinking of returning my d800 but taking a look at the photo performance of the 5d mkiii changed my mind.

The DR advantage btw is rather big, working wih the 5d files reminded me of older days in digital photography.

• Administrators

Strongly disagree.

The Magic Lantern community and this one on EOSHD isn't just an amateur club. It is read by pros and amateurs alike.

The interest in the raw recording was huge. I have seen the figures John, to be fair you don't know. To say 100 downloaded ML is a bit insane, I don't know where you got that from.

EOSHD figures are:

1.1 million loads of the test footage, 125,000 plays in less than a month. That's just one video.

In that same time the blog had 812,000 visits, up from an average of 500,000 in the slower months leading up to this news.

Small fry? Really?

For me Cinema EOS is the small market. Consumer market is massive.

• Administrators

I've been a Nikon shooter for a lot of years, and sometimes some guy who knows nothing sees my d800 and will come to me and ask "why Nikon?, they are all faulty and make horrible video", then he will show you proudly his 600d...

This is why you have to keep happy the freaks who like raw video and the maniatic depressive who check for hot pixels at iso 6400 and 30" sec exposure. Today the internet is the main source for information, but  the niche groups are who make the most noise.

I get the distinct impression you're upset, not sure why. I suppose calling people who shoot raw video (Peter Jackson, David Fincher, etc.) freaks makes you feel better about the fact you invested in the Nikon D800 partially for outstanding video quality, only to see the 5D Mark III leap up from nowhere and shoot raw.