CineForm Raw and Cinema DNG converters now available for 5D Mark III raw

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
resolve 5d mark iii raw

A professional workflow for 5D Mark III raw is now available.

GoPro CineForm Raw offers 10:1 compression and can be edited directly in Adobe Premiere and Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve 9.

Adobe Cinema DNG brings a Blackmagic Cinema Camera style workflow to the 5D Mark III and is ideal for grading uncompressed raw in DaVinci Resolve.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10531/cineform-raw-and-cinema-dng-converters-now-available-for-5d-mark-iii-raw]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

does anyone know how likely a 7d version is?  Getting raw with envy.  ho ho.

Seen this question asked everywhere i nobody seems to know.  I'm only hanging on to my 7d in the vague hope that it will shoot raw.  Its got the right ingredients:  CF card, fast FPS, newer generation than 5dmk2... 

Andrew, I can't thank you enough for keeping up with all this. eoshd has been one of my go to sites for quite some time and especially so during this raw "frenzy". Your site has provided among the best info on the web for raw-related facts, processes etc--well besides wading thru endless posts over at ML. And you've presented it all so clearly. Thanks.

does anyone know how likely a 7d version is?  Getting raw with envy.  ho ho.

Seen this question asked everywhere i nobody seems to know.  I'm only hanging on to my 7d in the vague hope that it will shoot raw.  Its got the right ingredients:  CF card, fast FPS, newer generation than 5dmk2... 

I see people asking this sort of question a lot - if you're serious about it, just sell it and get the camera that has the features you want.  I had a 7d - shot with it for 3 years, sold it, got a 5dmkIII and am very happy with the upgrade, it just is a better camera in every way and IQ is improved besides the full frame advantage.  I don't understand all these questions about "does it support the 7D, does it support x rebel..." why bother honestly?

• Administrators

That's a pretty good point about storage. For that $300 on CineForm you're saving 90% on storage costs.

7D users...

Next logical step for 7D users I think is to get a 2nd body, a 50D. Then you can use your EFS lenses on it and try out raw, see if it is for you, then if you feel it is working out, later upgrade to the 5D Mark III. There's no point holding out indefinitely for a 7D version of raw recording as the quality is unlikely to be any better than the 50D.

I'm interested to know what "visually lossless" means. It's the same phrase that Black Magic are using. There's a 90% reduction in size. Some of the saving comes from compression. Some of it comes from throwing away information.

I can appreciate that a well exposed shot will look exactly the same after being compressed to CineForm. What I'm less clear about is how CineForm compares to uncompressed raw when it comes to heavy grading and highlight recovery.

I'll add to the chorus asking about Cineform RAW clips to experiment with.  Would be lovely.

I'm most interested in the statement "can be edited directly in Adobe Premiere".   Are you saying you can modify the RAW settings of a clip directly from Premiere?  (does it give an ACR-like interface?)  I'm not a Davinci user, and most of the discussions I'm finding about Cineform seem to revolve around how it behaves in Resolve.