Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

CineForm Raw and Cinema DNG converters now available for 5D Mark III raw

53 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

resolve 5d mark iii raw

A professional workflow for 5D Mark III raw is now available.

GoPro CineForm Raw offers 10:1 compression and can be edited directly in Adobe Premiere and Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve 9.

Adobe Cinema DNG brings a Blackmagic Cinema Camera style workflow to the 5D Mark III and is ideal for grading uncompressed raw in DaVinci Resolve.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10531/cineform-raw-and-cinema-dng-converters-now-available-for-5d-mark-iii-raw]Read the full article here[/url]

Posted · Report post

Wow Andrew, just wow you guys in canon land are so lucky. They didnt want ML to touch their 1D line so they made the consumer line better ten the pro line haha

Posted · Report post

Could you post some Cineform raw files to play with? $300 seems a bit steep but being able to save the raw files in the cineform raw sounds pretty amazing to archive with. Can you edit a Cineform raw inside Photoshop or Lightroom like the DNG files?

Fulgencio Martinez likes this

Posted · Report post

It just gets better and better every day.

Posted · Report post

I have a noob question: the compressed raw formats require a more powerful computer to edit and grade than the raw files that come out of the 5d3?

Posted · Report post

does anyone know how likely a 7d version is?  Getting raw with envy.  ho ho.

Seen this question asked everywhere i nobody seems to know.  I'm only hanging on to my 7d in the vague hope that it will shoot raw.  Its got the right ingredients:  CF card, fast FPS, newer generation than 5dmk2... 

Posted · Report post

Andrew, I can't thank you enough for keeping up with all this. eoshd has been one of my go to sites for quite some time and especially so during this raw "frenzy". Your site has provided among the best info on the web for raw-related facts, processes etc--well besides wading thru endless posts over at ML. And you've presented it all so clearly. Thanks.
Andrew Reid likes this

Posted · Report post

How does the deBayer quality compare to ACR? e.g. direct PPro editing or Resolve vs. AE + ACR => 10+bit 422/444 codec.

Posted · Report post

does anyone know how likely a 7d version is?  Getting raw with envy.  ho ho.

Seen this question asked everywhere i nobody seems to know.  I'm only hanging on to my 7d in the vague hope that it will shoot raw.  Its got the right ingredients:  CF card, fast FPS, newer generation than 5dmk2... 

I see people asking this sort of question a lot - if you're serious about it, just sell it and get the camera that has the features you want.  I had a 7d - shot with it for 3 years, sold it, got a 5dmkIII and am very happy with the upgrade, it just is a better camera in every way and IQ is improved besides the full frame advantage.  I don't understand all these questions about "does it support the 7D, does it support x rebel..." why bother honestly?

Posted · Report post

I want news about RAW in my 7D! Shoul I sell it and to buy a 6D. Well I wil do, but before I want to know from some oficial source if 7D can't make RAW video ... Thank.

Posted · Report post

7D is not looking promising due to it's dual processors. Do not hold your breath.

Posted · Report post

Has anybody tried to run CineForm Raw with Wine?

Posted · Report post

$300 seems a bit steep but being able to save the raw files in the cineform raw sounds pretty amazing to archive with.

Yep, you are gonna have to spend that $300 somewhere, either on Cineform or on extra storage.... In the long term, cineform will be much cheaper.

Posted · Report post

That's a pretty good point about storage. For that $300 on CineForm you're saving 90% on storage costs.

7D users...

Next logical step for 7D users I think is to get a 2nd body, a 50D. Then you can use your EFS lenses on it and try out raw, see if it is for you, then if you feel it is working out, later upgrade to the 5D Mark III. There's no point holding out indefinitely for a 7D version of raw recording as the quality is unlikely to be any better than the 50D.

Julian likes this

Posted · Report post

I'm interested to know what "visually lossless" means. It's the same phrase that Black Magic are using. There's a 90% reduction in size. Some of the saving comes from compression. Some of it comes from throwing away information.

I can appreciate that a well exposed shot will look exactly the same after being compressed to CineForm. What I'm less clear about is how CineForm compares to uncompressed raw when it comes to heavy grading and highlight recovery.

Posted · Report post

I thought the 50D footage was on par with the 5D3, or was it the mark II?

Posted · Report post

Mark II. Mark III is cleaner and more detailed, also supports higher resolutions.

Tim likes this

Posted · Report post

I see there is a version of cineform premium for Mac

Will it work to convert 5D raw to cineform raw?

As some said it would be nice to have some cineform raw file to test

Posted · Report post

I'll add to the chorus asking about Cineform RAW clips to experiment with.  Would be lovely.

I'm most interested in the statement "can be edited directly in Adobe Premiere".   Are you saying you can modify the RAW settings of a clip directly from Premiere?  (does it give an ACR-like interface?)  I'm not a Davinci user, and most of the discussions I'm finding about Cineform seem to revolve around how it behaves in Resolve. 

Posted · Report post

Very good thinks !

I hope a mac version come quickly !

Regards

Posted · Report post

I am using quiet a different workflow and the results are actually impressive anyway. 5d Mark III is such a huge step for me in terms of potential for experimentation. This is not just a video file but a series of photos put in sequence... I am planning to shoot the first full project  in few days including some footage with our Cinestar Drone.

My workflow:

Magic Lantern Raw Dng Conversion --> Lightroom Export Uncompressed Tiff  --> Apple Aperture --> Apple FCPX for editing (Very dependable and quiet fast and accurate)

Magic Lantern Raw Dng Conversion --> Photoshop Batch-> Apple FCPX for editing (Very buggy and slow thanks to Photoshop)

https://vimeo.com/67519411

Posted · Report post

Thanks Andrew

Some questions on the workflow and the CineForm raw.

1. Take the raw canon file, convert to Cineform raw ( saving a large amount of storage space)

2. Colour balance the Cineform in Cineform Studio or Cineform premium

3. Bring the Cineform raw files ( now with metadata for colour) into Premiere to edit.

Can you can then go back to Studio/Premium and tweak the CC as you like and have that change reflected in Premiere?

Right now I going through LR as I like the VSCO presets I have then ripping tiffs. But if I do want to change things around I have to go through LR then rip another set of tiffs if I want to make larger CC moves.

Thanks,

Christopher

Posted · Report post

Andrew...Long time reader but first time poster.  First I'd like to say that I truly appreciate all the effort you have put into keeping us updated on the 5D3 Raw capabilities.  It's been lovely seeing people get excited about DSLR's again. 

Ok so I'm having a few issues with these conversions, I'm running VMfusion on my Mac, I downloaded Rawanizer and the RAW2GPCF is in the right folder.  I also have the GoPro Studio but only the free edition.  Here is what is happening:

Drop .RAW file straight from 5D3 into Rawanizer and I'm using the same settings you had in your screenshot.  I end up with 2 files:

1. A Proxy video file (which will play in VMFusion if I leave the extension set to .AVI, but wont play if I change it to.MOV)  Tried opening this in premiere and it does nothing

2. A .RAW file that is only a few MB less than the original .RAW file.  Can't open this in premiere either.  

I feel like I'm missing a step or am just confused as to what type of file I'm supposed to end up with.  Can you elaborate?

Also, now RAWANIZER keeps giving me a "user aborted" message a few seconds into conversion when I have "cineform" selected, have no idea why.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it's still doing it.