2.5K CinemaScope anamorphic raw on the 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/66574661[/media]

Download the 3K Vimeo file and playback on a 2.5K or 4K display for best results

Download a pack of DNG frames from the original raw files to judge quality

dng_logo

The spec sheet is impressive. 4:4:4 colour sampling from 14bit linear raw and 1280 lines of resolution with an anamorphic compliant 4:3 aspect ratio.

This compares to the image quality of the Sony F35 (Superman Returns, Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland) which cost $250,000 just 5 years ago.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10450/3k-cinemascope-anamorphic-raw-on-the-5d-mark-iii]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Its funny that everyone screams "workflow" problems from the get-go.  Not too long ago we were capturing everything in real-time from tape... remember??  My film-school experience was that we shot on 16mm - had to get it processed overnight (while praying that your exposure readings were actually OK so you wouldn't have messed up footage) and then we edited on pre-final cut pro systems... meaning Steinbeck machines with white gloves and scotch tape and razor blades... And I'm not even old!!

In 2006 we were so impressed when we began producing tv with a big production company that had a TERABYTE!! of storage.

In my estimation - the color on this footage is BEAUTIFUL! - A drastic, marked difference that any non-pro can easily see.  Honestly, this stuff makes me want to buy a 5D3.  An option I would absolutely not have considered two weeks ago.  

I haven't managed to use the hack on the 5d3 myself, but do you think it really compares to an F35 image quality?

In terms of specs it probably does, similar dynamic range?, but there is something really nice about the way the F35 handles the highlights due to the dynamic range being given more to the highlights that makes it look like film.

https://vimeo.com/61853643

also, the absolutely huge 4:3 sensor area is really adding to the defocus distortions.  looks huge.  I would really like to see the results from a 50mm hasselblad lens on the 5dmk3 in this format.  4:3 in a Kubrick locked down shot look.  I think this would add a degree of extra vastness (like 4perf 35mm) without having the obviousness of anamorphic which I think is almost not required with such a huge sensor area.

This compares to the image quality of the Sony F35 (Superman Returns, Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland) which cost $250,000 just 5 years ago.

the video sure looks cool but let's not get carried away too much .. F35 is light-years ahead of 5d MIII in terms of cinematic color science.. not to mention a global shutter and a few more stops of dynamic range ;)

Thanks for the test Andrew, was looking forward to seeing some raw anamorphic footage and it's sure looking good! :)

A note on the rescaling, you mention you shoot 1720x1280 (almost 4:3). Shouldn't your scale the width with 150% to 2580 px?

If I scale the dng files to 2580x1280 they look perfect. The aspect ratio in the video looks a bit off.

For me this is a done deal. Saving my pennies.

Now we only need a product like a Ninja recorder/monitor that takes in both hdmi for prores proxy + some kind of adapter for the CF card to the SSD inside the device. It's not even rocket surgery. When they make this next year or so they're gonna be riiiiich!

Yeah...hmmm - this for me left me cold for the anamorphic at least.  As Julian mentioned there seems to be some sort of conversion issue (maybe vimeo?  it gives me issues all the time when changing aspect ratios) that leaves the aspect distractingly off.  As for the F35, it's hard to say without direct comparison - Pat's link above from Macgregor is just sort of simply beautiful.  

• Administrators

the video sure looks cool but let's not get carried away too much .. F35 is light-years ahead of 5d MIII in terms of cinematic color science.. not to mention a global shutter and a few more stops of dynamic range ;)

Achtung! I said comparable not the same, and it really is. CMOS sensor technology has caught up with the F35's cutting edge 6 year old CCD technology in terms of everything but rolling shutter.

The sensor is way ahead of the image processor but with raw on the 5D you are taking the image processor completely out of the pipeline.

Therefore your colour science is almost entirely in post.

I wouldn't be surprised that the sensor was oversampling to get 1280p. It is a 6K sensor and if you line skip you get moire. There is none.

In 1:1 crop mode all the photosites are used, same as F35. In that mode I see very similar dynamic range, detail and colour to the 1280p sampling.

I'd like to come up with a post method that emulates the F35's film-rivaling highlights. I think it is entirely doable.

BTW the motion cadence is also superb but I shot this in a rush with no ND filter. My Vari-NDs don't work on the Iscorama as the front element rotates. This video is at high shutter speeds for the most part. You haven't seen the best of it yet. I'm gobsmacked.

BTW the motion cadence is also superb but I shot this in a rush with no ND filter. My Vari-NDs don't work on the Iscorama as the front element rotates. This video is at high shutter speeds for the most part. You haven't seen the best of it yet. I'm gobsmacked.

I was wondering about this,.. but in any event it was pretty minimal. Real nice work with the video, Andrew!

• Administrators

If future CF cards and updates to Magic Lantern give us higher datarates then yes a 1:1 crop S35 mode at around 3.5K should be doable, it really depends on what resolution you can get in that mode.

If the full frame sensor size is a concern why not just use the Blackmagic Cinema Camera or crop or stop down the lens? I rarely shoot wide open on a full frame sensor unless the shallow DOF really suits the shot. Sometimes beautiful, sometimes not.

I’m really glad I have found my paintbrush. The Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF mount much as I love it is not full frame and there’s no other aspect ratio apart from 16:9 which doesn’t help my anamorphic work at all. The Sony FS100′s image just doesn’t match raw and again no anamorphic concessions to aspect ratios are present. I am going to sell the FS100 and replace the BMCC EF with the Micro Four Thirds mount version to use as a B-camera.

Congratulations but I don't see why you don't liquidate and exit all the m43 stuff while it still has value. No one's going to want moire and two redundant lens systems when they can have a second 5D3 body at the price for B/backup and invest in only one system. The only possible justification would be the use of shorter flange distance glass you might come across, but you could rent e.g. an FS700/Speedbooster for that and get 240fps in the bargain.