5d Mk2 Anamorphic 2x

Wgocin

Hello there,

Anyone knows, have tested or seen tests of an anamorphic resolution (1440x1080) on the 5D mk2 for use with a 2x adapter? What I´ve read so far is that 5d wont go bigger than 1880x840 but what about other resolutions considering anamorphics. From what you´ve seen so far, would you recommend switching back to the mk2 from a hacked gh2 in terms of image quality, colors, low light etc...?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I Nicogw, 

I'm not an anamorphic shooter, but I tried the 5DmkII RAW mode. The 1880x720 res I tried is slightly thinner than 2.35, but of course is just an anamorphic crop, not a true anamorphic. 
The thing is that I see a huge difference between the mkII and mkIII: the mkII RAW image is still full of moire and aliasing and if you can't shoot 1:1 crop is practically unusable, and the digic-4 processor can't hold a bigger res. 
But again, this is my opinion and judge after I tried it fort 4-5 days. Hoping ML team makes some miracles again  ;)

Over at ML, people are reporting stable results with sizes greater than 1080x 1280 with 1000x cards

For a 2x CinemaScope this means you can stretch to 1080x 2560

Then if you scale using a Lanczos scaler by 0.75, you will have a perfect 810x 1920 (2.37:1) and also you will get a colour sampling boost or if you need 2k for projection you can scale accordingly.

This will be my preferred workflow once all the bugs have been ironed out regarding recording >4Gb files.

People are also reporting 5D2 looks more filmlike.

EDIT: Forgot to add that if you do some preprocessing on the moire before the scaling operation it should give significant benefits

Tomorrow I'm going to try what's possible with a friends 5D2 and 2x and 1.5x anamorphics. Hope to be able to shoot 1280x1080 so I can get 2560x1080!

Just checked, 1280x1080 works and the datarate should be safe. (around 53Mb/s). Don't have my anamorphics here, tomorrow I'll get to shoot!