Which Compact Flash card for 5D Mark III raw video?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Genesis by James Miller

Shooting spectacular raw video on the 5D Mark III requires UDMA 7 compact flash cards. Ideally you need a 1000x 64GB or 128GB card and certainly more than one for anything but very short shoots.

Here's my guide to which ones to go for.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Couldn't you just use the Atomos external recorder to bypass the CF cards- you'll be recording to solid state? Oh, wait, doesn't Atomos Ninja record to either ProRess or DNxHD- there has to be a way to bypass those codecs and record RAW?

• Administrators

Couldn't you just use the Atomos external recorder to bypass the CF cards- you'll be recording to solid state? Oh, wait, doesn't Atomos Ninja record to either ProRess or DNxHD- there has to be a way to bypass those codecs and record RAW?

HDMI is difficult at the moment. 1) They have not full reverse engineered the HDMI chipset. 2) The camera processes the HDMI signal so cannot output clean raw data. 3) You'd need a bespoke recorder that was able to take the raw data over HDMI, it isn't the same as a video signal.

how would you be able to use the cf to ssd adapter if when the camera door to the cf slot is open, the camera automatically shuts off?

and how exactly (the steps) in checking if your komputerbay card is writing at a decent speed?

is there a way to do it without the hack installed?

thank you.

This goes from the CF card slot on your camera to a PCIExpress interface with ExpressCard slot on the end.

Woh ! This is not PCI Express, this is PCMCIA, not at all the same thing.

However, with this CF to PCMCIA interface you could connect a PCMCIA to SATA like this : http://www.miniinthebox.com/ake-pcmcia-to-sata-serial-ata-cardbus-card-for-laptop_p183408.html

Will it work, do not know.

The built-in benchmark tool on the build that Andrew posted is really handy. My Lexar 32gb 1000x card benchmarks at 93MB/sec. With this card, I'm able to get predictably good takes at 1920/720 but when I try going to 1920x1080 I run into problems on all but very short clips (the raw file won't open).

Thanks for the tip about the Komputer Bay cards.  I just ordered the 64gig size and am hopeful this will allow me to shoot longer clips at 16x9. 

I'm still in shock over what this means for the quality of image I'll be able to produce. Thank you Magic Lantern! And big thanks to Andrew for posting the simplified version. That's what really made it accessible to me. 

FYI

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/lensrentals-repair-data-january-july-2012

With 5D Mk IIIs, CF pins are bending at an amazing rate. With the latter, I suspect the combination of a CF slot and and SD slot (rather than 2 CF slots) allows CF cards to wiggle a bit more during insertion, so the card slots might not line up with the pins properly. I don’t know that there will be an easy fix for this, but be gentle putting those CF cards in your 5D III.

Cinema5D was claiming their 128gb 1000x Komputerbay cards were much faster than what Andrew and I have been getting. I'm wondering if I should just order 5-6 cards at once and only keep the fastest ones? Thoughts?

Cinema5D was claiming their 128gb 1000x Komputerbay cards were much faster than what Andrew and I have been getting. I'm wondering if I should just order 5-6 cards at once and only keep the fastest ones? Thoughts?

That is strange though since I've not heard of anyone else having any luck at all with the Komputerbay 128GB cards. I looked at a couple and both also topped out at barely over 70MB/s which is no good. Sounds like Andrew hit the same speed and that's all I've read everywhere else too (other than at Cinema5D). Maybe they sent Cinema5D some special batch that has nothing to do with normal copies? (Even from Lexar I noticed that many speed tests had their 128GB cards rated slower than their 64GB and 32GB cards, although not as slow as the Komputerbay cards seem to be).

• Administrators

Again they vary.

James Miller has two. One is barely doing 70MB/s and one is 85MB/s. Both 128GB 1000x KomputerBay cards.

The fast one has TOPXCARD K10 chipset, the slow one is SMI.

This is probably the CF memory chip controller chipset however, because the same SMI chipset is in my fast 64GB KomputerBay.

Clearly the memory is clocked differently.