The impact of 5D Mark III raw and what does Vincent Laforet think of it?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Story matters most. Sorry.

Why are you saying this on a forum full of filmmakers. We know. Stop stating the bleeding obvious.

How in any way does the story detract from the camera. They are complimentary. It is like saying to an actor not to bother acting as well as they possibly can because the script matters most.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes indeed, it's a bug of the new firmware  that a lot of people are finding annoying, apparently. Perhaps backdate the firmware.

darn, i really hope they fix the lag of the video that outputs to the monitors in the new firmware, since we operate and pull focus off the monitors with this camera its getting a little tricky now for my AC's and handheld operating on action was freaking me out a bit :(

Also please consider what 25fps 6K is going to do to the stills photography world. The 1DC was hyped to stills people for its 8MP JPEGs imagine 22.3MP JPEGs at 25fps anywhere you might use continuous drive (sports, wildlife, fashion...). It's gonna happen! The 2MP RAW was just the appetizer!

Hype is just what this is as it doesn't work in practice because of the necessity of a fixed shutter speed when shooting video. The shutter speed for 25fps is 1/50 which means that while you can with luck pull some nice images from a camera like the C300 the vast majority of the images will be spoiled by motion blur. Shoot at higher shutter speeds & the motion in video gets wacky. Shooting 1/100 at 50fps or 1/120 at 60fps might work but there are many cameras that have high frame rate, a large enough image & high resolution

Hype is just what this is as it doesn't work in practice because of the necessity of a fixed shutter speed when shooting video. The shutter speed for 25fps is 1/50 which means that while you can with luck pull some nice images from a camera like the C300 the vast majority of the images will be spoiled by motion blur. Shoot at higher shutter speeds & the motion in video gets wacky. Shooting 1/100 at 50fps or 1/120 at 60fps might work but there are many cameras that have high frame rate, a large enough image & high resolution

There is no such necessity. Shutter angle is a creative choice as e.g. Saving Private Ryan displayed, there's nothing but convention and a familiar texture that says 180 degrees is ideal. And the entire point of my post was what 25fps would do to stills photography...this was a point made in fairly high-budget promo's by Canon themselves, and I would think they had thought it through.

Because...if your objective is stills, who cares if the video would strobe like mad?

Canon has been promoting the idea of video/stills fusion with the 1DC i.e. shooting video but getting excellent stills 'for free'. There are occasions e.g. sports reportage where 25fps 8 Megapixel images could be useful but the regular 1DX stills camera will shoot 12-14fps at full resolution even the 5D3 shoots 6fps.

• Administrators

Because...if your objective is stills, who cares if the video would strobe like mad?

With a electronic rolling shutter, you will get strobe in your electric lights at high shutter speeds. So it isn't just the strobe from frame to frame and lack of motion blur that is the problem with high shutter speeds and an electronic shutter.

You will get jello in your stills with fast movement of course.

Still better to have a mechanical shutter or global shutter for stills.

Aesthetics are the least of the problem but it does pose an awkward dilemma. Sometimes you can get a sharp image at 1/50, but if you're doing handheld work stills will need at least 1/100, and that hurts the look of your video especially handheld.

4K global shutter stills from the BMCC will be interesting but breaking the 180 degree shutter rule still necessary for many kinds of stills.

• 1 month later...

I do not have a strong opinion. My crew and I generally shoot with whatever camera the shoot demands - Alexa all the way down to GH2.  Due to the constant changing of cameras and workflows, 1080p, 2k, RAW, 4k, we've held back on buying any cameras. We simply shoot on our broadcast capable Vipers and I bought the GH2's because of your site back in January of 2012. They've been great and I'm still using them.

I am curious what you think about a buying decision and I understand we haven't seen the final images of the pocket cinema camera, nor any from the 4k production camera from Blackmagic.

Buying debate:

1. The 5d3 is now a new camera all over again. 

14bit raw at 2k resolution and you get an amazing stills camera.

2. Pocket Cinema Camera - 13 stops of dynamic range. Ability to use virtually any lens, log mode, portability and low attention drawing when shooting and you want to remain low key.

3. Blackmagic 4k  - 12bit compressed raw, 12 stops of dynamic range global shutter.

There it is, my first buying debate in quite some time. All three options are definitely tempting. And I'd understand that it's too soon to give an opinion until we've seen the other cameras in final release mode.

It's a tough debate. The other of course is it worth selling the GH2 in favor of a pocket cinema camera?

We have 3 Gh2s that's why I ask.

All opinions welcome.

--Eduardo

• 2 weeks later...