Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Metabones Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds - First Look and GH3 images

47 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been counting the days for the EF version of speed booster... 

I'm really disappointed.. why haven't they made it their first priority? Is Metabones actually committed to it?

EF version of speed booster will be nothing short of huge news.. Much larger than enabling Leica R lenses

So am I inferring too much here that Metabones is holding back? Or is there a technical limitation? 

Posted

Yeah, I've got some money put aside specifically for the EF -> MFT Speedbooster. Why don't they want my money?

Posted

I need Nikon G -> m43 with aperture ring and Canon FD -> m43. Then I'm a happy shooter :) Lets see who gets there first, SpeedBooster or LensTurbo!

Posted

Are there any news regarding an anamorphic speedbooster?, i remembering reading somewhere in this forum that Brian Caldwell from Metabones will be looking into anamorphic indeed, some news anyone?

Posted

Andrew, are the summicrons in combination with the speed booster the "poor man's" summilux (which might be even sharper..?) Or is the image quality wide open not as good so that one needs to go back to f2.0 anyway?

Posted

So, anyone thinking about the Sigma 18-35mm  F/1.8? 27-52mm F/1.2 !!
The lens looks big and heavy, and probably expensive, which defeats the purpose of my acquisition of the GH3 for general
lightweight-ness on rigs and travel... but man, would be a sick set, low light n' general use. 

Posted

So, anyone thinking about the Sigma 18-35mm  F/1.8? 27-52mm F/1.2 !!
The lens looks big and heavy, and probably expensive, which defeats the purpose of my acquisition of the GH3 for general
lightweight-ness on rigs and travel... but man, would be a sick set, low light n' general use. 

I have been thinking about that since I read about that lens!

I hope the price isn't up in the clouds (though it'd be understandable, perhaps a better strategy would be to make it more accesible to more people?) and that the EF Speed Booster is finally out before that lens is released.

Posted

Yeah, I've got some money put aside specifically for the EF -> MFT Speedbooster. Why don't they want my money?

Exact same thing here...

Posted

Andrew I have a small request - can you tell me ( or provide some short test ) if GH3 with speedbooster has the same depth of field as APS-C nex ( both using the same lens )? Is speedboostedGH3 depth of field as shalow as aps-c's one?

Thanks a lot

Posted

So is the speedboostedGH3 depth of field as shallow as nex-6 depth of field ( or any aps-c camera ) ?

Posted

Andrew I have a small request - can you tell me ( or provide some short test ) if GH3 with speedbooster has the same depth of field as APS-C nex ( both using the same lens )? Is speedboostedGH3 depth of field as shalow as aps-c's one?

Thanks a lot

So is the speedboostedGH3 depth of field as shallow as nex-6 depth of field ( or any aps-c camera ) ?

yes

yes

*edit* ...depth of field has nothing to do with lenses... same or not, doesn´t matter... 1. sensor size, 2. aperture, 3. distance to target vs. distance to background

Posted

Thanks for reply! As "the same lens" i meant "the same aperture"

Posted

Thanks for reply! As "the same lens" i meant "the same aperture"

ok. but I was not entirely right after all :)

take a read on this article... it´s the best thing on such crop sensor topic I ever came across... really worth it

http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/

Posted

Can anyone tell me if the Metabones EF to m43 will have electronic connectors aswell? also aside from that will the Metabones work with crop lenses from EF to m43 or will only FF lenses work

Thanks

Posted

Looks like EF to m43 speedbooster will also have electronic support as EF to NEX version. Seems that crop lens diameter is enough for m43.

Posted

Metabones Nikon G SpeedBooster is out in her website just now.

Posted

How the f*** and where did you get three Leica lenses for 300 euros?! I know you said eBay, I've just looked for a while and can barely find one lens for that price!

Posted

Didn't get mine from eBay, they're all crazy prices on there.

Posted

Didn't get mine from eBay, they're all crazy prices on there.

Yeah, exactly! I just read it as if you bought them on eBay. Could you maybe point me in a direction as to where I could find them a bit cheaper than eBay? (I'm living in London) Or could I very kindly ask you to let me know if you stumble upon any? 

Posted

Thanks a lot for the review,

I plan on using a SpeedBooster with a Fuji X camera, and two of the lenses I'd like to use are ones you used in your article.

I have a 50mm Summicron-R (last version no ROM):

'>

and a 28mm Elmarit-R (last version no ROM but same design - built in hood, etc):

'>

When initially planning on purchasing it, Metabones had a disclaimer stating that these two lenses required modification prior to being used on a Speedbooster (whether for 4/3, Fuji, Nex, etc).  So I decided not to buy it.  I've since run across you're article and see you using it with these lenses.

Could I confirm that the copy of the 28mm and 50mm you have are the most recent versions (ROM or not)?

Did you need to do any modifications?  Can you use the lenses without issues?

Metabones still eludes to modification needed on some Leica lenses on their website, but no longer specificies which lenses they are (but if you look on some re-sellers pages you can see the original info).

I'm not sure if something has been updated, or the modification was only needed in some unique circumstances.  

I'd really appreciate your reply, I greatly want to use my R lenses on mirror less cameras...

Thanks!

Posted

Also waiting on the EF to m43. Clearly this is the version everyone is after, I wonder what the hold up is...

Posted

Actually... I want a M43 to M43 speedbooster. :P