Metabones Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds - First Look and GH3 images

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
gas-light

The Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds gives cameras like the Panasonic GH2, GH3 and Blackmagic Cinema Camera a Super 35mm / APS-C sized sensor using clever optics, in the same way that the E-mount version turned cameras like the Sony FS100 and NEX 7 into valid alternatives to full frame.

As well as shrinking the image circle of a full frame lens to fit a smaller sensor, the Speed Booster lives up to its name by giving you a 1 stop increase in brightness so that F2.8 effectively becomes F2.0.

I've been testing the Leica R mount version of the new Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster on the Panasonic GH3 and here are some of my early observations.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks Andrew.  Have you noticed any increase in detail/sharpness with the Speed Booster?  I am wondering if this used on the forthcoming Pocket Cinema Camera will increase its perceived resolution to be a close match for the 2.5k Blackmagic.

• Administrators

Thanks Andrew.  Have you noticed any increase in detail/sharpness with the Speed Booster?  I am wondering if this used on the forthcoming Pocket Cinema Camera will increase its perceived resolution to be a close match for the 2.5k Blackmagic.

This is the perfect adapter actually for the Pocket Cinema Camera.

Less blurry in the corners due to smaller crop sensor yet Micro Four Thirds mount.

Nice extra low light performance from your lenses.

Very compact and slim.

Can't wait to try it on the Pocket cam.

Andrew

Have you heard if they are making a Canon EF mount version as that is more versatile

we can use m42, C/Y, Pentax K etc etc glass on it...I do hope they do

that version will sell in bucket loads - I have no Leica glass :(

Looking good so far. Hope there will be a dumb nikon version at launch. Not planning to buy Leica R or Contax glass. Would consider getting a old Nikkor 35mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.2 though. That would be nice on the pocket with the speed booster :)

• Administrators

Andrew

Have you heard if they are making a Canon EF mount version as that is more versatile

we can use m42, C/Y, Pentax K etc etc glass on it...I do hope they do

that version will sell in bucket loads - I have no Leica glass :(

EF mount even without electronics would make more sense to me as well.

I don't think they are doing it though.

It will certainly be in my feedback, if the Smart EF adapter is going to be a long wait. Don't think it is fair to ask people to buy a different Speed Booster for every lens they have whilst they wait for the delayed flexible Canon mount version.

Why on earth are they being so obtuse about this? First NEX over m4/3, now Leica over EF in m4/3. It's like they don't want to make money.

Meanwhile the whole video landscape is changing so quickly that what looked like an amazing and somewhat indispensable new piece of kit is going to be an also-ran while everyone shifts over to FF and APS-C again (assuming the RAW hack gets fleshed out on non-mk3 bodies).

I mean I understand we have a skewed vision of what the market wants, but seriously? They thought Leica was a better fit for this over EF, even dumb-EF? Must be a stills thing.

EF mount even without electronics would make more sense to me as well.

I don't think they are doing it though.

It will certainly be in my feedback, if the Smart EF adapter is going to be a long wait. Don't think it is fair to ask people to buy a different Speed Booster for every lens they have whilst they wait for the delayed flexible Canon mount version.

I hope they get even a dumb EF mount version - they need to do some market research first as a 47mm flange focal distance Leica mount has a very limited market.....

Metabones has the most retarded business strategy ever, they get everyone all excited then start with the stupidest versions possible and slowly release the versions people want after the buzz has died down????

I's like they have no idea who they are marketing this thing too.. Who knows, maybe I'm just not cool or not in the loop........ I don't even know wtf ALPA or Contarex lenses are.

Meanwhile people seem to be snapping up the Lens Turbo (even though it's probably inferior in quality) because 1. it's cheaper and 2. they had the crazy idea of releasing popular lens mounts first (crazy right?).

>my face when waiting for he Nikon F to m4/3 Speed Booster

waiting_skeleton_cover.jpg

Meanwhile all you lucky people get you use your ALPA and Contarex versions.