GH2 shot sci-fi Upstream Color breaks $300,000 mark at the US box office

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Upstream Color - Jeff Upstream Color Kris and Jeff starlings Upstream Color bathtub

Beautifully shot indie film Upstream Color debuted at Sundance in January, winning the special jury prize. Since then it has a wide release at cinemas.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10309/gh2-shot-sci-fi-upstream-color-breaks-300000-mark-at-the-us-box-office]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Looking forward to checking this out at the Sydney Film Festival next month.

Shane Carruth's methods are very inspiring. He is a real independant filmmaker, an artist getting by with little and making work entirely on his own terms.

Amazing, I watched it and never even crossed my mind this was made with a little gh2 :), imagine how I can sell my video wedding services now when I say to them I capture video with tools that are used in cinema, and I have proof now.

Now the joking aside, it was never about the tools, it was always about the story telling, composition, light, these cheap tools we have acces now gives us so much creative freedom and improves an already good story with better images that captures the viewwers attention even more.

I guess in the days of only RED/Arri/Cine Alta this couldn't be done without a huge budget, now it's possible even for the little guys, imagine the years to come and what crazy beautifull things we are gonna see, we already see it happening, vimeo is full of talented people that do amazing work.

Which proves the old adage: "Is not the camera, is the story" 

...which in the case of this story, the camera made the movie look like it could have been shot on equipment almost none of us could afford on our own.   If this movie was shot on an iPhone it would probably still work to a certain extent, but it wouldn't have looked anywhere near as good. 

Saw this at the local theater last week.  I liked it a lot.  Still not sure what it means, but it did keep my attention for 90 minutes.  The cinematography looked very good, though when projected, you could see digital artifacts like aliasing in the expected places, like the lead actress's hair, smaller curving shapes, etc.  But, yeah, this was inspiring in both method and end product.

Which proves the old adage: "Is not the camera, is the story" 

Not sure that statement works in this case as the images look great!

If it was shot on a crappy camera and looked awful but still had a captivating story that held you attemtion then you could say that.

The GH2 looks great but ultimatly its the lighting and techniques that seperate this from what 99% of GH2 owners shoot.

I remember seeing his previous film Primer, and the first 15 minutes were very distracting because of how bad it looked. Shots within the same scene were different color temperatures, and out of focus. However, as the story moved forward I didn't notice it anymore, and loved the movie. Glad to see he's stepped up his game in the look of this film.

Although it looks well filmed and acted, i do not get all the excitement.

300k after 4 weeks in the US means nobody is giving a damn about this film.

there is nothing better than releasing a depressing movie to stay unsuccessful.

sorry guys time to wake up!

Although it looks well filmed and acted, i do not get all the excitement.
300k after 4 weeks in the US means nobody is giving a damn about this film.
there is nothing better than releasing a depressing movie to stay unsuccessful.
sorry guys time to wake up!

No studio. He released it on his own. Traveled to different cities presenting and doing Q&As. I'd say that is pretty successful.

Probably $75,000.

Primers budget was $7,000.

Nowhere close, from what I gather, he is keeping mum on the budget, because he got a lot of criticism for how low the budget was on Primer, and he doesn't want a similar reaction. My guess is it is still a very low budget.

I'm going to see it in theater tomorrow night, and I've been excited for the past month to do so!