Canon 5D 2K raw feed update - 1920x720 possible on 1000x card?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
5D Mark III DNG

Download sample 2K DNG file and see the image quality for your own eyes!

Recently Magic Lantern had the breakthrough discovery of beautiful pin sharp 2K sensor feed in raw format on the 5D Mark II and 5D Mark III.

This completely turns our understanding of DSLR video image quality on its head. Canon claimed the 5D Mark II line skipped on the sensor to produce video. I don't understand how that can possibly be the case.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10250/canon-5d-2k-raw-feed-update-1920x720-possible-on-1000x-card]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

UPDATE: I now have the burst mode silent pics feature running and sure enough I’m getting up to 30fps 2K raw from my 5D Mark III until the buffer fills up after only about a second. If the Magic Lantern developers can find a way to write this raw output at 24fps to the card despite the large data rates, even at reduced resolutions, we could have continuously recording raw video.

Cool! So you can record a 30 frame sequence in one second? Can you post a sample clip of that?

• Administrators

I could do, it works just like the Nikon V1 burst mode.

Just need to transfer Magic Lantern to one of my faster 1000x cards as only getting 15 frames per burst on the 600x card.

The End Trigger mode is interesting - this appears to capture endlessly until you let go of the shutter release, then it writes the last few frames to the card.

BTW - with getting 3592 x 1320 raw burst with a certain combination of settings - is this documented normal behaviour?

• Administrators

Wild Ranger - that's the million dollar question. Nobody knows yet.

Here's a 3.5k sample frame I just shot in silent stills burst mode at 30fps...

http://www.eoshd.com/uploads/ml/56420194.DNG.zip

You should be able to open it with Photoshop if your Adobe camera raw is up to date.

Image quality is stunning, no signs of moire. I think it looks like a 1:1 crop of the sensor. It isn't the full frame, more like a 1.3x crop horizontally and a much more severe crop vertically.

You should be able to open it with Photoshop if your Adobe camera raw is up to date.

Image quality is stunning, no signs of moire. I think it looks like a 1:1 crop of the sensor. It isn't the full frame, more like a 1.3x crop horizontally and a much more severe crop vertically.

Thanks Andrew for the answer.

I already check that frame, It looks amazing. Thanks.

• Administrators

The image is processed before it gets to the HDMI port so unlikely to get the raw feed off the camera that way without dramatic changes to the way HDMI works.

I think it is more likely we'll see a crop mode of some kind first, at lower resolutions, written as DNG frames to a fast CF card. But I'm speculating there. We'll just have to see what Magic Lantern comes up with. Exciting times indeed.

Wow, that is madness... so if you can manipulate the image size some way (you got it to 3.5K...) it might be possible to make it a bit smaller, to be easier on the buffer? I wouldn't be surprised if 1280x720 raw upsized to 1080p would look  or at least on with than 1920x1080p h264 out of the camera. And you'd have all the bonus of raw data.

I'd be interested in seeing 15 frames shot in half a second btw... just make some superfast cuts ;-) or twixtor them. You'd be the first to upload a Canon raw video!

I´m just asking... So, cloud it be possible to get rid of the weird process the camera is doing and record a very high quality image direct from the DNG to a H.264 video?

Well, I think Canon might intervene at that point. What would be the point of the 1DC?

• Administrators

I don't see how they can intervene other than encrypt firmware on new bodies leaving the factory and even then they shouldn't, because if this raw video hack takes off sales of 5Ds will go THROUGH THE ROOF.

Indeed what is the point of the 1D C I have asked myself that many times!!

I don't see how they can intervene other than encrypt firmware on new bodies leaving the factory and even then they shouldn't, because if this raw video hack takes off sales of 5Ds will go THROUGH THE ROOF.

Indeed what is the point of the 1D C I have asked myself that many times!!

That is true. I was also going to say that if A1ex and the guys can pull this off, they will have single handedly jumpstarted a stagnant Canon dslr line. But their Cinema line may suffer. It'd be interesting to know what Canon thinks of all this?

I guess the Black Magic may have a competitor after all ! . . .

You know, I always wondered why Canon just did not improve on the 5D3 after such a long time since the 5D2 came out. Could Canon have foreseen a hack to unlock the true imaging potential of the camera?

It begs the question: Was Canon just throwing us a hidden gift with the 5D3?