5D Mark III uncompressed HDMI sample footage

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/64917111[/media]

Is it any better? Rather than spoil the surprise please do go ahead and watch the short test video. You can download the original file at Vimeo.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10233/5d-mark-iii-uncompressed-hdmi-sample-footage]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

To say no, it is not better, without at least a simple green screen test seems unfair. I can't see why people were expecting a drastic difference

Slightly unfair to ask for a green screen test considering the firmware has only been out for 3 hours!

o say no, it is not better, without at least a simple green screen test seems unfair. I can't see why people were expecting a drastic difference

I don't understand that either. Perhaps they thought they were getting RAW or something? And didn't think about the expense and hassle of an external recorder. And the fact that you'll need an external monitor! I wasn't aware of that one, I thought Canon had solved that.
"Free magical firmware update (doesn't include mandatory extra equipment)."

Slightly unfair to ask for a green screen test considering the firmware has only been out for 3 hours!

If you happen to have a greenscreen, doing a keying test takes about the same amount of time as walking out and setting up a tripod.

That's IF the person doing the tests knows anything about greenscreening. But that actually applies to setting up a tripod too.

Does it capture interlaced footage when using 50i or does it just output interlaced footage from a progressive captured image? (like the Sony RX100 for instance)

In that case it would be pretty simple and effective to deinterlace it.

• Administrators

Does it capture interlaced footage when using 50i or does it just output interlaced footage from a progressive captured image? (like the Sony RX100 for instance)

In that case it would be pretty simple and effective to deinterlace it.

I don't know. I've lost interest in it as you may as well just use the internal IPB codec and save the hassle.

The Ninja2 people were so confident that it was a proper good signal - they had it at NAB & must have tested it, so why the misinformation?

But it did seem to be a long shot to expect Canon to produce clean 422 HDMI out - monitoring only!? 

But could this new firmware help the ML guys?

Could they hack it so it was clean 422 out?

They've made so many advances in the last few months, that anything seems possible.

The reason it's hard to see a difference between 422 and 420 is exactly the reason they toss the color information (1/2 the vertical color information to be exact). The only visible difference between 422 100+Mbps Sony MPEG2 (Nanoflash) and 420 24Mbps AVCHD on the FS700 is less compression artifacts and more high-frequency detail (typically noise though). The advantage for the 5D3 would be the same: less compression artifacts (and more noise as the H.264 codec naturally does a good job reducing noise (high-frequency detail)).

The Ninja2 people were so confident that it was a proper good signal - they had it at NAB & must have tested it, so why the misinformation?

But it did seem to be a long shot to expect Canon to produce clean 422 HDMI out - monitoring only!? 

What do you mean? The signal is proper. The fact that 25p is inside 50i signal doesn't mean anything as 25p can go through 50i quite well. It will look 100% the same as the signal was 25p. They use 50i because it works better with external monitors. Same thing for 60i. So people complaining about that are just supersilly.

Only real problem is that apparently this leaked version doesn't transport sound. Let's see if that works on the release version.

Not understanding much on the grounds of what would technically allow the ML team to alpha 24p DNG's on the 5D's, hardware wise I'm assuming it's the buffer dumping quick enough. It just sounds like with all the processing involved in compressing the footage in real time, the weak link on these Canons are the buffers. If the 1DC is a 1DX pretty much, it pushes out 4k at ridiculous file sizes at 24p. Granted that's 2 Digic 5's... If it's the same buffer in the Mark 3, (going by Canon's re-use of components..) - maybe there's hope? It sucks Alex is pessimistic right now.

The reason it's hard to see a difference between 422 and 420 is exactly the reason they toss the color information (1/2 the vertical color information to be exact). The only visible difference between 422 100+Mbps Sony MPEG2 (Nanoflash) and 420 24Mbps AVCHD on the FS700 is less compression artifacts and more high-frequency detail (typically noise though). The advantage for the 5D3 would be the same: less compression artifacts (and more noise as the H.264 codec naturally does a good job reducing noise (high-frequency detail)).

It's true that the differences between 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 is hard to see in the end result but it helps keep everything together in post.  However you should see more of a difference in an uncompressed signal vs 24-50Mbps AVC (IPB).  

What was the recording bit-rate for this video?  

Though in most situations I would still prefer the smaller AVC file sizes.

I've done some tests with 1.2.1 firmware and it seems that the HDMI out is in fact 422.

I'm a bit surprised the author of this site seemed to imply canon was publishing untruths in regard to this.

I recorded to the Ninja 2 and compared footage with internal footage using scopes (FCPX) and also 300% crop on a red coloured object. With the 420 internally recorded clip, the red edges are jagged and stepped when viewed at 300% crop. The prores image from the Ninja 2 at same crop is smooth. Also when viewed with luma waveform and vector scopes, the internal recording shows cross hatching in some areas where as the Ninja 2 recording does not.

Looking at the 422 vs 420 clips side by side at normal resolution does not show a lot of difference.

However one of the main benefits of 422 is more chroma information than 420 - footage won't degrade as easily transcoding between codecs. This is one of the reasons some broadcasters stipulate 422 as a minimum requirement.