Sigma 30mm 1.4 V Lumix 20mm 1.7 for GH2 and BMPC?

Macca1978

Morning all!

I am looking at both lenses for video work for my GH2 and eventually the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. They both cost around £260 new and both in my eyes have their advantages\disadvantages.

I love the small form factor of the Panny, better focal length for the BMPC and it has autofocus for the GH2 and native to both.

The Sigma is faster, generally though of as giving a more 'cinematic' image and again would be great for both the GH2 and BMPC.

The Sigma however is large and heavy, and with the adapter it will need for both the GH2 and BMPC it will become even larger...

Your thoughts please...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Get the Lumix. The Sigma 30mm F1.4 is nice when stopped down to F2.0 but needs the rather pricey Panasonic adapter to work properly on the GH2 and when you go into magnified manual focus assist the lens always goes wide open to F1.4 which is really damned annoying.

The 20mm F1.7 is sharper, smaller and has better AF.

Have you considered a Canon FD or Nikon AI 35mm F2.0? Certainly advantageous if you don't need AF.

• Administrators

I feel a folly coming on.

There are much better options than the Sigma. The Samyang 35mm F1.4 is only a bit more money and is way sharper wide open. The Sigma has no hard stops on the focus ring so cannot be used with a follow focus. You can get the cinema version of the Samyang. Why get the Sigma? It doesn't make sense.

The Samyang 35mm F1.4 is also a full frame lens and has a physical aperture ring unlike the Sigma which is APS-C or Four Thirds and over 5 years old.

I have both the Lumix 20mm F1.7 and the Sigma 30mm F1.4 which is on loan from a friend to test at the moment.

The Canon FD 35mm F2.0 is sharper and smaller. The Lumix is sharper and smaller too. Is there a unique reason for considering the Sigma?

I feel a folly coming on.

There are much better options than the Sigma. The Samyang 35mm F1.4 is only a bit more money and is way sharper wide open. The Sigma has no hard stops on the focus ring so cannot be used with a follow focus. You can get the cinema version of the Samyang. Why get the Sigma? It doesn't make sense.

The Samyang 35mm F1.4 is also a full frame lens and has a physical aperture ring unlike the Sigma which is APS-C or Four Thirds and over 5 years old.

I have both the Lumix 20mm F1.7 and the Sigma 30mm F1.4 which is on loan from a friend to test at the moment.

The Canon FD 35mm F2.0 is sharper and smaller. The Lumix is sharper and smaller too. Is there a unique reason for considering the Sigma?

I have no preak preference for any lens.. I just liked the look of the footage coming from the sigma. At he end if the day I am looking for a fast ish lens.. Around 20-30mm focal length at max £300.. Happy for any suggestions to be honest .. Lens suitable for mft ideally for gh2 and bmpc

there is also under 300 pounds the Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Distagon which is an amazing lens razor sharp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carl-Zeiss-28mm-f2-8-Distagon-T-lens-Contax-Yashica-excellent-condition-/181111880993?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item2a2b1bfd21

Yashica 24mm f2.8 in c/y mount is my go to standard lens for my GH2 - Zeiss sharpness and less money

this one is converted to canon ef mount

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YASHICA-ML-CANON-EF-24mm-F-2-8-REFURBISHED-CONVERTED-VERY-RARE-EXCEPTIONAL-/230961137599?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item35c65b47bf