LG V30 HDR Camera

DBounce

I was surprised to learn that the LG V30 is shipping with what appears to be an industry first, a 10 bit HDR Camera with a true log profile. They even go as far as to add in phone color grading. 

Combine this with the best audio of any phone, including auto capture, and I think it safe to say that the LG V30 is a content creator's dream phone. 

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=19500

LG-V30-Cloud-Silver.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, DBounce said:

I was surprised to learn that the LG V30 is shipping with what appears to be an industry first, a 10 bit HDR Camera with a true log profile. They even go as far as to add in phone color grading. 

Combine this with the best audio of any phone, including auto capture, and I think it safe to say that the LG V30 is a content creator's dream phone. 

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=19500

LG-V30-Cloud-Silver.jpg

Where did you read that it does 10-bit HDR?

I read somewhere that it claims to do 11stops of dynamic range (for video?), though I am guessing all that can only be judged after the first retail samples hit stores. Also the Bitrate appears pretty low for log. I wonder if a smart phone processor can handle 4-2-2 in 8-bit.

Cinema 4k App and Filmic Pro both have Log profiles and options for higher bitrate. But the quality of their log is mostly limited by the hardware on phones. The FilmPro Log starts falling apart very quickly if one pushes the flat profile even a little bit. It starts posterising. 

15 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Where did you read that it does 10-bit HDR?

I read somewhere that it claims to do 11stops of dynamic range (for video?), though I am guessing all that can only be judged after the first retail samples hit stores. Also the Bitrate appears pretty low for log. I wonder if a smart phone processor can handle 4-2-2 in 8-bit.

Cinema 4k App and Filmic Pro both have Log profiles and options for higher bitrate. But the quality of their log is mostly limited by the hardware on phones. The FilmPro Log starts falling apart very quickly if one pushes the flat profile even a little bit. It starts posterising. 

Here scroll down to number 5.

24 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Here scroll down to number 5.

It's Incorrect.

5. HDR recording and playback

"... The camera now captures the 1.07 billion colors that the HDR-10 standard requires, and the V30's flexible OLED display with its deep blacks just got certified by Netflix for HDR streaming, joining the G6 and Xperia XZ Premium as the only two other phones that can stream movies and TV series from Netflix shot with this rich color format in their full bloom."

The guy writing the article has taken the Netflix Standard for Broadcast and mixed it up with the Camera Recording capabilities of the V30.

The LG V30 may be certified for HDR and Dolby Vision (for its Screen and Headphone Output), but that is solely for the Screen (and audio output via the headphone out) and Not for is recording capabilities. I am guessing that's limited to 8-bit 4-2-0. And the Log is not a true log. 

HDR-recording-and-playback.jpg

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

It's Incorrect.

5. HDR recording and playback

"... The camera now captures the 1.07 billion colors that the HDR-10 standard requires, and the V30's flexible OLED display with its deep blacks just got certified by Netflix for HDR streaming, joining the G6 and Xperia XZ Premium as the only two other phones that can stream movies and TV series from Netflix shot with this rich color format in their full bloom."

The guy writing the article has taken the Netflix Standard for Broadcast and mixed it up with the Camera Recording capabilities of the V30.

The LG V30 may be certified for HDR and Dolby Vision (for its Screen and Headphone Output), but that is solely for the Screen (and audio output via the headphone out) and Not for is recording capabilities. I am guessing that's limited to 8-bit 4-2-0. And the Log is not a true log. 

HDR-recording-and-playback.jpg

Well, I'm not going to waste time guessing when I can just read the articles... from the first article it clearly states that the v30  can capture 10 bit video:

On the video side, there's something called Cine Video, which captures 10-bit HDR video. You can apply filters as you record video. Even with the most extreme effects, the HDR source material means that the end result should preserve detail in the highlights and shadows. It's fun to play with.

Having a HDR capable screen is expected for a flagship device... the big deal about the V30 is that it can also be used to capture HDR content with it's 10 bit HDR camera in 4K. So you can now create and view HDR video with one device. 

Mmmkai. '10-bit HDR Image Sensor'.

~ http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/v30

Though, that doesn't necessarily mean video is being recorded in 10-bit of course. But they do put a lot of focus on 'Cine' 'movie-quality' 'pro' 'Log'... but then again, that reminds me of the E-M5 Mark II press release that didn't even mention the word 'video', only terms like 'professional' 'cinema' 'film'... and who's been picking that one up over an Panasonic, Sony, etc?

At any rate... it's a smartphone, it's cool if it's actually any good, but you'd probably still pick the right tool for the right job and more than likely, that's not a smartphone.

2 hours ago, andrgl said:

Well that's all well and good, coming from... who the heck is this guy? But there are countless reviews online from names we all know repeatedly saying that the screen and camera are amazing. So, maybe we should just discount everything they have said and instead believe what's his face?

And here are 5 reasons the V30 doesn't suck... And the number 1 reason... The screen! Maybe mr.What's his face, got a bad unit... Or doesn't have the phone at all, and is just click bait?

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

Well that's all well and good, coming from... who the heck is this guy? But there are countless reviews online from names we all know repeatedly saying that the screen and camera are amazing. So, maybe we should just discount everything they have said and instead believe what's his face?

None of the videos you posted explore the issues inherent with all OLED panels or the abysmal low light performance of the v30.

Also, Ars Technica has been around forever.

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

Or doesn't have the phone at all, and is just click bait?

lol (even the Samsung looks fucked, disclaimer: I own a Note 4)

7.jpg

lol.png

• Administrators

The LG screen is probably fine in normal use. If it has uniformity and grain issues in certain situations then fine, good to know. Important to get it in perspective though, with how you actually use the phone.

It is going to be a very very bad device for viewing flat grey surfaces in the dark that's for sure!

On the camera front, I'd wait and see what the Google Pixel XL 2 brings as their image processing has been far superior to LG's so far. The current XL quite simply has a wonderful processor and sensor.

It was a tough choice for me between that and the S8+

The S8+ won it in the end because of the screen and better raw images.

To look at what the Pixel XL's processing did to the raw image data... it's a miracle transformation.

And I fully expect XL 2 to have 10bit video and HDR if LG are making it... but for some reason I've never really got into video on smartphones that much... why bother, when you have so much else to play with that's far nicer? I am into smartphone photography on the other hand, as sometimes the best stills camera is the one you have on you. The best video camera on the other hand, is the one you make the effort to bring to a specific occasion!

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The LG screen is probably fine in normal use, but clearly in the dark with a blank grey screen it has uniformity and grain issues that the Samsung doesn't.

Personally I'd wait and see what the Google Pixel XL 2 brings on the camera side.

The current one has a wonderful processor and sensor.

It was a tough choice for me between that and the S8+

The S8+ won it in the end because of the screen and better raw images.

To look at what the Pixel XL's processing did to the raw image data... it's a miracle transformation.

So I fully expect it to have 10bit video and HDR... but to be honest, I doubt I'll get much use out of it. Video on a smartphone is always of lesser concern than the stills for me, it's just not how I use one... It is mainly a photography device in my pocket and I reserve video for the better cameras.

For me I just find it interesting, as even though a camera might be more capable, not always are you allowed to take it everywhere. A smartphone is much more innocuous.

Perhaps equally important is the audio capabilities of this phone. It is said to have the best playback and recording of any smartphone. Also there is talk of an external module related to audio recording. Imagine having better recording quality than a dedicated field recorder, but in your smartphone? For content creator's it seems to have a lot to offer.

So the iPhone X has been leaked to feature the following video specs:

1080p HD at 240 fps480 MB with 1080p HD at 240 fps

4K at 24 fps(Footer) 270 MB with 4K at 24 fps (film style)(HEVC Footer) 135 MB with 4K at 24 fps (film style)

4K at 60 fps(Footer) 450 MB with 4K at 60 fps (higher resolution, smoother)(HEVC Footer) 400 MB with 4K at 60 fps (higher resolution, smoother)

No word on 720p480, but at least HEVC will have to be broadly supported now. I believe this is the last Android flagship generation without 4K60p, however I have no idea if the Snapdragon 835 simply can't handle it or there is any other bottleneck. Anyway, Samsung S9 will have to have it.