What's your opinion on these GH5 items?

Oliver Daniel

Hello. 

I'm going to buy the GH5, my FS5 has gone. My Shogun Inferno has gone. 

The decision was down to "liberation", alongside easier camera movement, smaller footprint, and using any lens with IBIS. 

I'll rent an FS7, RED or whatever when the job needs it. 

What are your opinions of these?  

1. Speedbooster Ultra or XL? (For Sigma Art and other EF lenses). 

2. Battery Grip (to make it look a bit bigger/pro for stupid clients - when required. Silly I know!). 

3. The hot shoe audio thing. Audio is important. (Radio miss, lav mics etc). 

4. The 35-100 II (I want a super stabilised big zoom reach lens). 

5. Not sure I'd use a 12-35 when I have the Sigma 18-35. Still curious. But needed? Erm... 

6. SmallHD Focus or any other similar product. 

7. The Atomos Sumo with hot shoe adapter (ok, that was a joke). 

8. Anamorphic. Keen to try out but don't want to mess around too much with hacks and such. SLR Magic? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

A good decision!

1. Speed Booster XL has the most full-frame-like look, unless you want to avoid vignetting on APS-C lenses then go for the Ultra. Also if you want the absolute best corner sharpness go for the Ultra.

2. Not tried the battery grip as the internal battery last ages and spares so easy to carry! Might improve ergonomics though.

3. The XLR hotshoe audio adapter?

4. 35-100 II... Nah. I'd go for the Olympus 12-100mm F4 instead. Run & gun with AF I take it?

5. Only if you need AF when re-framing a shot otherwise stick to Sigma

6. You don't need it, the screen is fine! Keep it simple.

7. Haha

8. Yes.

26 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

A good decision!

1. Speed Booster XL has the most full-frame-like look, unless you want to avoid vignetting on APS-C lenses then go for the Ultra. Also if you want the absolute best corner sharpness go for the Ultra.

2. Not tried the battery grip as the internal battery last ages and spares so easy to carry! Might improve ergonomics though.

3. The XLR hotshoe audio adapter?

4. 35-100 II... Nah. I'd go for the Olympus 12-100mm F4 instead. Run & gun with AF I take it?

5. Only if you need AF when re-framing a shot otherwise stick to Sigma

6. You don't need it, the screen is fine! Keep it simple.

7. Haha

8. Yes.

Thanks Andrew, appreciated.

I know that WEX Photographic have a promo on at the moment for a half price Ultra when bought with a GH5. My only APS-C lens is Sigma 18-35.

Only issue I see with the Olympus is f4. I want the AF for stills really with a big range, just for the sake of messing around, but would use it 85% for video. Any experience with the Olympus 40-150mm? It's larger but impressive....

Yes No. 3 - the XLR thing that replaces the YAGHYAGHYAGHYAGH. just heard mixed stuff about it. 

7 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Hello. 

I'm going to buy the GH5, my FS5 has gone. My Shogun Inferno has gone. 

The decision was down to "liberation", alongside easier camera movement, smaller footprint, and using any lens with IBIS. 

I'll rent an FS7, RED or whatever when the job needs it. 

What are your opinions of these?  

1. Speedbooster Ultra or XL? (For Sigma Art and other EF lenses). SB XL.

2. Battery Grip (to make it look a bit bigger/pro for stupid clients - when required. Silly I know!).  Pass.

3. The hot shoe audio thing. Audio is important. (Radio miss, lav mics etc).  Nice to have.

4. The 35-100 II (I want a super stabilised big zoom reach lens). Love it, nice size.

5. Not sure I'd use a 12-35 when I have the Sigma 18-35. Still curious. But needed? Erm... I have it... love it.

6. SmallHD Focus or any other similar product. Must have if doing anamorphic.

7. The Atomos Sumo with hot shoe adapter (ok, that was a joke). 

8. Anamorphic. Keen to try out but don't want to mess around too much with hacks and such. SLR Magic? The compact 40mm is a good start.

8 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

4. The 35-100 II (I want a super stabilised big zoom reach lens). 

Maybe wait for the PL50-200 2.8-4 ? Not sure when that might be though. Depends on the range you need covered if comparing to PL12-60 (oly further), cost (oly 300 more), and weight (oly 561g vs pana 320g), and the look. The pany is super stabilised.

9 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Maybe wait for the PL50-200 2.8-4 ? Not sure when that might be though. Depends on the range you need covered if comparing to PL12-60 (oly further), cost (oly 300 more), and weight (oly 561g vs pana 320g), and the look. The pany is super stabilised.

Thanks for the suggestions - I've tried the 12-60 and didn't like it. The f4 at 60mm isn't a look I like. 

I'm keeping my A6500, it's just too useful to let go. Looking to keep a variation under my belt anyway. (come on Canon, where are you? Haha.) 

After a bit of hands-on and to suit my creative needs, I've gone with these so far: 

1. GH5 Camera Body

Because, yep, obvious. 

2. Metabones Speedbooster XL 

My EF glass gets a new life! 

3. GH5 Battery Grip 

Ergonomically it's great, and it does mean you can run all day (and have a more "pro" looking camera as silly as it is.)

4. 3 Extra Batteries and Charger

Because, yep, important. 

5. Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 Pro Lens

This was a hard choice. The reason I chose this over the 35-100 is because the buick quality and focus ring is far better. Plus it's sexy for stills and has a massive reach. Can put on a 1.4x convertor too! It's bigger, but I bought this for £630 brand new - in the UK at WEX it's around £1200!

6. Olympus 60mm Macro f2.8

Chosen for creative reasons. I love the get close to subjects to get that ultra-fine detail - seems like a good choice. went native as I could use it for stills too. 

7. Olympus 8mm Fisheye Pro f1.8 

They say it's pricey for a fisheye - however if anybody looks at my work you will often see a lot of distorted looks. I love getting close to a subject and throwing the background out of focus. I can use a Fisheye Fixer tool if the effect is too much aswell. Also I'll be doing a lot of sports stuff soon and fisheye is a great tool for that. 

8. Saramonic Transmitter / Receiver / Lavalier

For my new marketing campaign, there will be a lot of Vlogging going on. Not your typical Youtube stuff. 

9. Saramonic Radio Mic

Again, I'll be doing on-the-pot interviews with clients / talent etc for my marketing pieces. 

QUESTION MARKS? 

• Memory cards (hope to use the 400Mbps update and see if it tickles). 
  • Anamorphic (I think this will be a later rather than  now kinda thing - it will always be pretty niche). 
  • XLR Audio Attachment (big difference, useful?)

Happy to hear you decided on a kit. Personally, I went through quite a few different combinations before settling on my current setup, so I suspect you might do likewise until you learn what works best for you. Like you I thought the SB would be great for giving my Canon glass a new life, but from my use I noticed that battery life decreased when using adapted lenses. And the added weight negated the mobility argument. In other words I figured this is little different than carrying my Canon. I will tell you for anamorphic the 12-35 is my "go-to "taking lens. At 35mm - ~70mm there is no vignette, and is quite flexible. Past ~70mm the image quality decreases quite a bit. Dual stabilization is great.

No mention of the best lens available for the GH5... The Panasonic Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2... that lens is epic. As good if not better than most of the Canon L glass. It's awesome. It will work with the anamorphic adapter also, but is less flexible than the zoom. 

Finally, the 100-400 is an amazing little lens. I don't own it, but did have a quick play at B&H... Not sure if it's something you would need, but it is a great lens.

For flying I find the Helix Jr overkill for the GH5. To that end I recently picked up a Zhiyun Crane V2... And then quickly returned it. It did not play nice with my anamorphic setup. I have the Feiyu a2000 with handles arriving tomorrow, so I will soon know how that flies?

It's always fun getting new kit, but it's a process for most of us. Have fun exploring.

6 hours ago, DBounce said:

Happy to hear you decided on a kit. Personally, I went through quite a few different combinations before settling on my current setup, so I suspect you might do likewise until you learn what works best for you. Like you I thought the SB would be great for giving my Canon glass a new life, but from my use I noticed that battery life decreased when using adapted lenses. And the added weight negated the mobility argument. In other words I figured this is little different than carrying my Canon. I will tell you for anamorphic the 12-35 is my "go-to "taking lens. At 35mm - ~70mm there is no vignette, and is quite flexible. Past ~70mm the image quality decreases quite a bit. Dual stabilization is great.

No mention of the best lens available for the GH5... The Panasonic Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2... that lens is epic. As good if not better than most of the Canon L glass. It's awesome. It will work with the anamorphic adapter also, but is less flexible than the zoom. 

Finally, the 100-400 is an amazing little lens. I don't own it, but did have a quick play at B&H... Not sure if it's something you would need, but it is a great lens.

For flying I find the Helix Jr overkill for the GH5. To that end I recently picked up a Zhiyun Crane V2... And then quickly returned it. It did not play nice with my anamorphic setup. I have the Feiyu a2000 with handles arriving tomorrow, so I will soon know how that flies?

It's always fun getting new kit, but it's a process for most of us. Have fun exploring.

I've tested my Sigma Arts and Samyangs on the GH5 - loved it! The 18-35mm especially... 

The Leica 42.5mm is compelling but I don't have a good reason to spend that kind of money on this lens, unless I went nuts on micro 43 photography. 

I have the Zhiyun Crane V1 and love it with my A6500. Will test alongside the GH5 and see if it can perform anywhere near close to the A6500's pretty great AF. 

I had a GH3 for 3 years (which at the time, I was in awe of 1080p 50fps!).....so I'm excited about this kit, as I now have far more creative options. 

Unfortunately, having to wait for V-log - doesn't arrive for over a month! 

6 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I have the Zhiyun Crane V1 and love it with my A6500. Will test alongside the GH5 and see if it can perform anywhere near close to the A6500's pretty great AF. 

There's an ibis firmware upgrade for it just now isn't there?

The only one I’d recommend outside of lenses is the SmallHD 501/502. If you mount it on the hotshoe with the SmallHD pan/tilt mount it ups your game. Its so light you won’t even feel it.

http://store.smallhd.com/store/500-700-pan-tilt-mount

connect with an Atomos coiled HDMI.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1065085-REG/atomos_atomcab010_1_x_coiled_full.html

I've had no vignetting with the XL speedbooster...on APS-C...bought the 12-60 PL as an afterthought to try with the rack focus feature on the GH5 and have to say I love this lens...only 1/2 a stop slower than the 12-35 at 35mm and outdoors I appreciate the extra 25mm of reach...Although I don't own it, I think the Leica 42.5 is the best lens out there for the price....period...the image is ridiculously good...I own the Leica 25 1.4, and  although the 25 has an almost 3D quality wide open, the 42 is just in a league of its own..regardless of M4/3, S35 or FF IMO...I do use my GH5 with an Atomos Shogun shooting to SSD cards in Prores 422 HQ 800mbs...the data penalty is high but the image, focus and exposure tools and my needs suit that combo...anyway...I think you will love this camera...it's truly a great camera to shoot with, and one where the potential is just beginning to get tapped!

Signa 18-35 f1.8 is a beast!

you can use it with ex.tele, and you will have 1.4 crop in 4k.

with speedbooster you will have 0.75x 2

so the lense becomes (efr numbers)

with speedbooster: 25-50 f1.3

sigma without SB: 36-70 f1.8

and in ex. Tele: 50-100 f1.8

Ex. Tele looks really cool, i cant see any IQ loss compared to original mode.

so, with only one amazing speed lense and SB you can get 25-100 f1.3-f1.8

4 hours ago, tihon84 said:

Yes ETC. On the GH5 adds an extra lens to any of the lenses you own....in 4K....with a reasonably small crop...really what I had hoped they would do on the EVA1... with a mount that could receive adapters...instead I'll just save my pennies for the LT

On 25/08/2017 at 8:44 AM, tihon84 said:

Signa 18-35 f1.8 is a beast!

you can use it with ex.tele, and you will have 1.4 crop in 4k.

with speedbooster you will have 0.75x 2

so the lense becomes (efr numbers)

with speedbooster: 25-50 f1.3

sigma without SB: 36-70 f1.8

and in ex. Tele: 50-100 f1.8

Indeed. We fully stand all of this as y'all know. The most unique lens going with GH5 for sure. There's nothing not even close to this combo out there. This is the perfect cinematic S35 combo.

On 8/24/2017 at 2:42 AM, Oliver Daniel said:

6. SmallHD Focus or any other similar product. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1336174-REG/smallhd_mon_focus_5_touch_screen.html

Micro-HDMI Input??

Thank goodness the GH5 did away with the Micro HDMI nonsense and went full size! But now you'd return to that?? Please don't :-o 

Get a monitor with full size HDMI

On 8/24/2017 at 2:42 AM, Oliver Daniel said:

2. Battery Grip (to make it look a bit bigger/pro for stupid clients - when required. Silly I know!). 

Stupid! But if it makes you money.... not stupid!

However, why not get a mattebox instead for this purpose? At least it has more real uses than a battery grip would have for you.

On 8/24/2017 at 8:53 PM, Oliver Daniel said:

8. Saramonic Transmitter / Receiver / Lavalier

For my new marketing campaign, there will be a lot of Vlogging going on. Not your typical Youtube stuff. 

9. Saramonic Radio Mic

Again, I'll be doing on-the-pot interviews with clients / talent etc for my marketing pieces. 

I would skip this and go for the Sony UWP-D11 instead (they're great, I own five of them!).