The Diopter Thread.

Tito Ferradans

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/1/2017 at 8:31 AM, Sean Keen said:

I do have one or two diopters with some light scratches and cleaning marks 

can give it for 500 + shipment

You need lomo or foton ?

Both for $500? If so, then I'm in.

The best I can pay for one of these is $300.

I already have the Foton and the Anamorphic block. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, import antigrav said:

I apologize for my ill-informed comment above; I have a real question now.

As I'm sure everyone is aware, many anamorphic lenses sold on eBay are unusable due to their near focusing distance being on the order of 50 feet. Would using a stronger diopter be able to fix this?

No worries mate, there is a learning curve to this stuff...

Yes, a diopter would fix this (that's more or less the point of a diopte), however you lose the ability to focus at infinity. Suggested read: http://www.tferradans.com/blog/?p=7282 (and everything else that Tito put out :-p)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2017 at 8:09 PM, buggz said:

Would these be somehow useful?

- KOOD 82MM CLOSE-UP LENS SET OF 3 + CASE +1 +2 +4 DIOPTER CLOSE UP LENSES

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOOD-82MM-CLOSE-UP-LENS-SET-OF-3-CASE-1-2-4-DIOPTER-CLOSE-UP-LENSES-/201835157112?hash=item2efe501678:g:s-4AAOSwnDZT8eMC

I see they are really cheap priced, so, I'm guessing the quality is not there.

Still waiting to receive these...

In the meanwhile, I have picked up the following:

- TAMRON A9F CLOSE-UP ADAPTOR LENS +0.5 ANAMORPHIC DIOPTER 72mm BOX
This item is perfect, box, docs, complete.
Haven't tried it yet.

- Kern-Paillard Vario-Switar 3' DIOPTER Lens For Bolex POE 100 Zoom W/Case
 - Kern-Paillard Vario-Switar 2.3' to 3.7 DIOPTER Lens For Bolex POE 100 Zoom
 - Kern-Paillard Vario-Switar 5 1/4' DIOPTER Lens Bolex POE 100 Zoom W/Case Nice
These items are Series 9 mount.
These are perfect, the cases are even perfect.
Haven't tried these yet either.
Awaiting 82mm to Series 9 adapter to use them.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I have a Zeiss DigiDiopter that I want to use with an Iscorama 54. The problem is that the Zeiss has no threads and instead clamps onto a 95mm lens barrel. Unfortunately, the barrel of the Iscorama 54 is larger than 95mm, perhaps 100mm or so, which  prevents the Zeiss from fitting onto the Iscorama. Is there a clamp or adapter that the zeiss can clamp onto which has male 95mm threads that can then screw into the barrel of the Iscorama? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,

23 hours ago, EnzoNgu said:

Hi guys,

I have a Zeiss DigiDiopter that I want to use with an Iscorama 54. The problem is that the Zeiss has no threads and instead clamps onto a 95mm lens barrel. Unfortunately, the barrel of the Iscorama 54 is larger than 95mm, perhaps 100mm or so, which  prevents the Zeiss from fitting onto the Iscorama. Is there a clamp or adapter that the zeiss can clamp onto which has male 95mm threads that can then screw into the barrel of the Iscorama? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,

If you get a cheap 95mm UV and knock out the glass, that has male 95mm threads and costs very little.

Tito, Thanks for taking the time to respond and the suggestion. Unfortunately, the clamp on the Zeiss accommodates exactly 95mm in diameter and no larger so it won't take the slightly wider opposite end of a filter such as you suggested because of the larger outside diameter ( 98mm I think). I was hoping to find a filter or adapter that has 95mm filter threads on both sides so i could screw in one end to the Iscorama and then clamp the opposite end into the Zeiss. I've yet to located something along those lines. I am going to stop by some local machine shops and see if they can fabricate a piece to fit this need. I'll post some pics if I get such an adapter.

_MG_3194.jpg

_MG_3191.jpg

@EnzoNgu

Maybe look into mattebox ring adapters combined with a clamp on filter mount. If you can measure all the dimensions needed, I'm sure RAF would be able to make something up for you, or by him modifying something else he's already made. IMHO It's worth getting something decently constructed to properly secure that nice piece of zeiss: https://www.rafcamera.com/adapters/for-matte-boxes/95mm-diameter?p=1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Guys

I was wondering which brand i should lean towards for split diopters. It's for a Bolex 16/32 x1.5. Do achromatic split diopters exist?

I saw the schneider split diopters on ebay and was wondering if anybody had experience with them.

Thanks!

Edit: Also are century and slr magic achromatic filters any good? Thanks