I´m lousy, I NEED HELP, best WW adapter in 52mm + Berlin residents around?

PannySVHS

Hey guys,

I am a lousy, lousy camera nerd. Testing lenses, testing ergos- that 28-85mm F4 Tokina has the best ergos of any photo lenses I have had in my hand,

maybe the vivitar 35mm 1.9 is a challenger. But, I missed out on other important stuff for my upcoming shoot of a shortfilm next weekend.

1. I don´t wanna change between FD speedboosted lenses and my SLRmagic 12mm, want to leave the 12mm out of the shoot.

So, looking for the best 0.5 wide angle adapter in 52mm thread for my FD 28mm. Which one would that be?

2. Any of you guys are residents in Berlin I could pick up some Pinzo lights from, or some handy clamp lights with a mount for at least 250W tungsten bulbs?

Easyrig anybody? Wireless follow focus anyone? GH5 to borrow from? Aaaaarggh!:)

cheers n out,

Marty

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Are wide angle adapters boring to you? I find their notion attractive. It can make an awesome FD 28mm into a wider one.

My SLR magic 12mm version I is actually rather useful to be shot from F4 on, F2.8 is still to blurry for combining it with

high resolving vintage lenses such as the FD 28 or FD 50. Also, changing lenses of the same FD mount  means,

sensor is protected by the glass of the focal reducer, which can be very comforting in challenging shooting situations.

So, what´s up, no more nerdom going on here this month? Nor nerdom support when it comes to lending stuff?

Forget the GH5, easyrig would be great enough and a Pinza :)

We have a thread on privilegue. I would enjoy the privilegue of your support.

cheers,

Marty

I don't think you're going to find an adequately high quality 0.5X wide angle adapter, and I suspect all of them will vignette (hard vignetting) when combined with a speed booster. I do think it's an intriguing idea, though.

I have a 0.8x adapter for my 24mm f2 Nikkor. Lots of barrel distortion, but sharp. I think it's this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI87WL_fLm1QIVEhuBCh3gTAAlEAQYASABEgJEevD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=751265

From what I understand the off-brand ones are worse but can be found even cheaper. The corner sharpness suffers with them. You can try something like this but I expect it will have hard vignetting and an atrocious image in the corners:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-0-45x-Select-Camera-Models/dp/B002W4RPD2

I don't think a 0.5x adapter is going to do a good job, but it's not necessary anyway imo. The Speed Booster XL is 0.64X and has good performance. With a 0.8x adapter and the Speed Booster you're down to about 0.5 anyway. Might be worth getting a 24mm FD lens (if Canon makes one with 58mm) threads to eke out those last few degrees of FOV, though. That would bring you right around 12mm.

Wide angle adapters are a viable option if you don't mind barrel distortion. I believe Chris Probst uses one on his 40mm Kowa. I think they look nice on anamorphic lenses in particular, where the distortion adds more character.

Hallo, thank you very much! That is very reasonable. I could put an 0.8 on my FD20mm. But for thread 72mm they are rare enough.

That combined with a Chinabooster and its factor 0.71 would give me a factor of around 0.57, giving me around 11.5mm on MFT.

I was hoping for some quick way to find a less rare 0.5 for 52mm or 55mm thread. Silly me, I know so little due to limited access to lenses

and lack of optical theory and knowledge! :)

No easy way into the lens owning game. I like my 28mm better than the 20mm regarding tactility and ergonomy.

No easy way into the lens operating game neither:)

I don't know the first thing about lens design, either (well, maybe the first thing, but definitely not the second). I've just been playing around with wide angle adapters for a while. 

I also have one of these for my Iscorama:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/464579-REG/Canon_1724B001_WD_H72_72mm_0_8x_Wide.html

It's 72mm and I think it's the very same adapter Chris Probst uses on his Kowa 40mm. The only problem is you might need to find a machinist to grind the mount down a bit. But optically it's really good. There's significant barrel distortion and CA but it's very sharp. There should be some on the used market for good prices; I got mine on eBay and then found a local machinist to grind the area in front of the threads down to fit. For some reason they protrude too much. It was around $100 total in but I got a good deal I think. The machinist only charged $20 but I was lucky to find someone so good who charged so little.

Now you're making me want to buy an 18mm f3.5 Nikkor to use with it.... I'm going back to vintage lenses. ;)

• Administrators

Good wide angle adapters are quite rare but it's always worth checking the usual places in Berlin like Foto Braune, Foto Mayer and others who stock used stuff.

The only good one I have ever used (unless you count anamorphic Panasonic LA7200!) has been the Dog Schnidt Optiks FF38.

You might want to contact Rich Gale and see if he can sell you one. It's very good Schott glass.

http://www.eoshd.com/2015/02/dog-schidt-optiks-ff58-flare-factory-58-pl-mount-review/

I shot this footage with it on the front of his FF58 which is based on the Helios 44-M 58mm F2

I have it in Berlin but since I've only got one and I don't want to sell it as it was a gift from Richard, you're out of luck there Panny :)

:)@HockeyFan12 Yesterday I typed that into Ebay search, using the syntax of the WD H55:) So that 18mm 3.5 is awesome wide open then?

By the way, found this a few minutes ago. What is up with that? Putting a 0.5 on a 0.8? Funky!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokina-PRO-0-5X-Wide-Angle-Lens-Fits-Canon-WD-H72-for-Canon-XH-G1-XL2E-XL2-/330722998331?hash=item4d00a0783b:g:yGMAAOxyVX1Rso3R

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Good wide angle adapters are quite rare but it's always worth checking the usual places in Berlin like Foto Braune, Foto Mayer and others who stock used stuff.

The only good one I have ever used (unless you count anamorphic Panasonic LA7200!) has been the Dog Schnidt Optiks FF38.

You might want to contact Rich Gale and see if he can sell you one. It's very good Schott glass.

http://www.eoshd.com/2015/02/dog-schidt-optiks-ff58-flare-factory-58-pl-mount-review/

I shot this footage with it on the front of his FF58 which is based on the Helios 44-M 58mm F2

I have it in Berlin but since I've only got one and I don't want to sell it as it was a gift from Richard, you're out of luck there Panny :)

Massive post, Andrew! Thanks! Richard gave one to you, awesome! That seems to be a 0.66 converter then. Unfortuntely Richard doesnt seem to build his

classics anymore but rather classy highend cinema products.

Andrew, you know, since your GH4 review, I have been joking with my back then girlfriend that she would have to stay by herself if I met

you at Mauerpark:)

Foto Braune, was there last Friday, talking for one hour. He has a beautiful Soligor 28mm 2.0 there in Konica AR mount,

so not for speedbooster use. Still looking for the perfect 28mm for less thant 200 EU. The Oly Zuiko does not seem to be it, if going from my sample.

You don´t have an Easyrig laying around, catching dust? :) Guess, I gonna have to rent one from Dino.

Anyway, I am very happy that you and HockyFan two took my approach seriously and honoured it with beautiful replies.

Thank you, guys! cheers, love and thread closed!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Andrew, you know, since your GH4 review, I have been joking with my back then girlfriend that she would have to stay by herself if I met you at Mauerpark:)

Foto Braune, was there last Friday, talking for one hour. He has a beautiful Soligor 28mm 2.0 there in Konica AR mount

I am not sure I'd leave my girlfriend to hook up with you Panny ;)

By the way I found some very nice deals on wide angle adapters at Visual Impact but they are in the UK. I am sure they ship to Berlin though!

Fuji, Optex, Sony, all pro stuff and high quality between £70 to 300

http://www.visuals.co.uk/used-items/used/lenses-used.html?___SID=U&dir=desc&order=price&p=3

I saw the Soligor at Foto Braune, he also had a nice Pentax mount 28mm F2 which he let me take home to try out... for free.

I didn't go for it as it doesn't fit Speed Booster due to the aperture lever sticking out, but it's ok on a Sony A7 body. Nice optics but the build was as the price tag!

There is a Distagon 28mm F2.0, the famous "Hollywood" Zeiss at Foto Mayer for 700 euros if you're feeling rich!

Foto Braune has the Pentax 28mm f2? That Hollywood has to wait:)  I was hoping, my sample of Oly Zuiko 28mm F2 would cut it.

But it is worse at F4 than my Canon 28mm F2.8 is with open aperture. Foto Braune said to me, the Zuiko is supposed to be the Hollywood design.

A German forum has nothing but praises for it and its floating element. Those guys are real nerds. Guess, I got a rather average sample then.

Btw, why did you have to write that pentax article back then? Prices have been going through the roof since then!:)

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am not sure I'd leave my girlfriend to hook up with you Panny ;)

Well, we didnt break up because of you, my friend ;)

Thanx for the link. This looks like a classy place for lenses!