A7s ii -> GH5?

JordanWright

I currently use a Sony a7s ii with native Sony glass ( Loxia 50/2 and Sony 28/2). I am considering switching systems on the GH5. I have a few questions about the system.

1) Lenses? which to go for... Native or speedbooster. how well does the IBIS work with adapted lenses, do you have to dial in the focal length each time you change lens?

2) Lowlight - I often shoot upto 1600, sometimes at 3200.. is the footage usable at these ISOs

3) Dynamic Range - If I switch I plan to use VLOG.. how much difference in DR is there between the a7sii's Slog and the Gh5s VLog. Has anyone else made the switch and do they miss it?

4) Colour - I have been using EOSHD on the Sony cameras with really nice skintones. How are the skintones on VLOG?

Thanks in advance.. if anyone else has made the switch from the Sonys to the GH5 any advice would be appretiated! and is there anything ill miss from the sonys?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't own the GH5 (yet!), but I can answer numbers 1 and 2.

(1) I'd go with fast native primes - your back will thank you for it! I've been preaching this for a while now, but in fact, I've seen some remarkable work done with cheap slow kit zooms and pancakes. If you plan on doing a lot of manual focusing and have deep pockets, the Veydra Mini Primes look like the way to go, and in fact, I'm looking into a set myself at the moment. As far as photography lenses go, the Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm f/.095 and 25mm f//0.95 could replace your current focal lengths, and they are unique in that they are the best built lenses in the micro four thirds system. At the same time, the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, when paired with a focal reducer, is an incredibly beautiful instrument. If you're on a tight budget, you might consider the Nikkor AI(S) lenses and a cheap Chinese adapter. @Cinegain has also contributed a ton of suggestions for vintage optics in the Lenses thread. As far as premium m4/3 AF lenses go, they are pricey as heck, the fly-by-wire manual focusing mechanism is pretty awful (though several Olympus lenses have a manual focus clutch, it is still fly-by-wire), and some say they have an overly clinical look as a result of optical abberations being corrected in firmware, though the overwhelming majority of owners are extremely satisfied with such lenses, the Leica 12-60mm f/2.8-4, for example. The Panasonic lenses have a different color rendition to the Leicas, with most preferring the latter. When mounting a passive lens on the body, the camera will prompt you to enter a focal length. IBIS will work fine with adapted lenses. 

(2) Even the most conservative GH5 owners claim ISO 1600 is usable, while others will tell you ISO 3200 is perfectly acceptable, so this is highly subjective.

21 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

I was expressing my honest opinion about the technical quality of the footage which was posted as an example of the technical capability of a camera - how is this rude? If you want a more refined opinion it has a nasty highlight rolloff possibly caused by clipping in the red channel. 

I don't know, Shirozina, but if you went to a lot of trouble to upload a test of a camera you obviously loved, would it bother you in the slightest if someone called your footage 'garbage', 'nasty', or whatever? But hey, this is the internet, anything goes!

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

I don't know, Shirozina, but if you went to a lot of trouble to upload a test of a camera you obviously loved, would it bother you in the slightest if someone called your footage 'garbage', 'nasty', or whatever? But hey, this is the internet, anything goes!

If you post a purely technical test then it's open to comment - I'm not criticising the person. If anyone 'loves'  their camera and is hurt by comments on it's technical abilities then maybe they need the kind of help that I or anyone else on this forum can't give......

13 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

If you post a purely technical test then it's open to comment - I'm not criticising the person. If anyone 'loves'  their camera and is hurt by comments on it's technical abilities then maybe they need the kind of help that I or anyone else on this forum can't give......

Nasty is a pejorative term and does not describe anything other than your personal feelings about the image. So it's not really constructive at all.

26 minutes ago, Ki Rin said:

If he said the highlights looked bad would that be ok?

Yes its a personal opinion, but what's wrong with that? Its not like it was a personal attack or directed at anyone. He's talking about the technical quality of the image.

I'll tell you why - because in the five or so years that I've been uploading videos to my YouTube channel - over two hundred videos to date - not a single person has ever made a remark like that. They may say they think the soundtrack is too loud or inappropriate for the content; the contrast too high or the colors too red; the editing too fast or too slow; or, they may disagree with my judgement in a lens comparison: but nobody, and this is on YT, mind you - nobody, to the best of my recollection has just flat out said anything was nasty. They almost always articulate the reasons why they don't like something, like grownups do. 

• 5 months later...

I'd like to go back to the original question.

How does the GH5 IBIS behave with adapted lens (once the correct focal length entered).

Is it comparable to native 4/3 primes?

With sony for example, I'v read that the 5 axis stabilization only operate with native electronically connected lens.  Adapted lens only have xy axis stabilization.