Paul Thomas Anderson: Cinematographer

Liam

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/paul-thomas-anderson-cinematographer-phantom-thread-daniel-day-lewis-1201848286/

I assume some of you have heard about this by now (But if not^). PTA was his own Director of Photography on his next film, Phantom Thread (Daniel Day Lewis's last film).

Obviously too soon to say how this went for him, but what are your thoughts on this?

Biting off more than he can chew? Too many jobs to worry about? Not enough experience?

Or entirely worth it for how much he'll gain in creative expression in now each of the main areas of the filmmaking process? (just spitballing)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I used to watch Tony Kaye run his own camera while directing and I think when you have been at it in the way these directors have been, and if you've got good crew, it's got to be a thrill. The closest space to where the dream and reality line up. On the other hand, our dear Herzog is emphatic over the importance of using one's eyes to direct while keeping absolutely clear of video village buffoonery.

There are no hard and fast rules...it depends on the Director's style, preference and of course abilities...on big productions neither Directors or DPs operate as a rule of thumb...the 1st AC usually shoots most of the film, though on most shoots, the Director or DP may get in behind the camera for a particular scene, if the AC is not capturing a frame in the way a Director wants to convey something....when you're on a shoot and a scene is being filmed, the crew quiets down a lot...they are in a state of observation and readiness...the Grips, Gaffer, Make Up, Wardrobe, Art department,  Props, Director and DP, Script Supervisor..everyone is watching what they are responsible for...while the AD and the AC and the actors are shooting that particular scene...If the Director can observe both the performance of the actor/actors, and how they move through the light and whether the light works as they hit their marks throughout the scene and make the decision as to whether everything meshed, well good for him/her. In the old days the ACs use to be sensitive to the expressions on the faces of their DPs after a take...the code for another take used to be "do you want a hair in the gate?"...this way the DP would ask for another take...circumventing the Director, if he saw something happening light wise, that he was not happy with....personally, I would never shoot without a DP, if I was making a feature.

16 hours ago, Liam said:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/paul-thomas-anderson-cinematographer-phantom-thread-daniel-day-lewis-1201848286/

I assume some of you have heard about this by now (But if not^). PTA was his own Director of Photography on his next film, Phantom Thread (Daniel Day Lewis's last film).

Obviously too soon to say how this went for him, but what are your thoughts on this?

Biting off more than he can chew? Too many jobs to worry about? Not enough experience?

Or entirely worth it for how much he'll gain in creative expression in now each of the main areas of the filmmaking process? (just spitballing)

Steven Soderbergh does that very often. Directs and also does the cinematography. Just imagine that....it must be a very hard thing to do :grimace: Imo you should NEVER do that. The same way a director should never edit, but hey....whatever works for them :glasses: